Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 11:38 AM

3 posts, read 8,931 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I need some advice! I grew up in Red Bluff and my grandparents have lived in Chico all my life. I Left California when I got married, and never realized how miserable I would be! Right now I live in Arlington Texas and it is very affordable here, but I miss my family (which is all in Chico now). Here, In Texas, I own a house that is a decent three bedroom 2 bath 1380 sf and I bought it for $87,500! My husband and I have decided that we want to go "home" to California because the crime and the people have just gotton worse here in the last 5 years. I am having trouble figuring out which town I want to live in. I love Chico because of the outdoors activities that are there (Bidwell Park, 5 mile dam, 1 mile dam, the lakes, the mountain) that cost nothing or very little for you to enjoy them. I have so many good memories from when I was a kid! Also I have a three year old daughter who will be starting school when I move. I guess what I am asking is I need an affordable community close to Chico, but also close to a big city with decent paying jobs and I dont want to live in the ghetto. I understand I will be paying more for a house in California than my house in Texas I am prepared for that, but I have been finding houses online for under $200K in Citrus Heights and Carmichael. I have kind of ruled Roseville out because of the train yards but let me know if anyone has input. I am coming out to Sacramento in October to check out neighborhoods, but I need to make some kind of a route to drive so that I can see the good, the bad, etc. Any info is really appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 11:52 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,697,727 times
Don't rule out Roseville because of train yards - that's only one small portion of Roseville.

I'd live in Roseville over Carmichael or Citrus Heights any day.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:38 PM

Can you elaborate? What is better about Roseville over Carmichael or Citrus Heights? I think that I saw that Roseville is also more expensive on house prices. When I have done MLS searches pretty much everything that comes up under $200K is forclosures in Citrus Heights or Carmichael. I just want a safe neighborhood with good schools. Let me know what you think

Old 08-25-2008, 04:28 PM

1,323 posts, read 4,699,470 times
Most of Citrus Heights is very safe. I have lived in Citrus Heights for almost 20 years. Citrus Heights incorporated a few years ago and is now the City of Citrus Heights. We have our own police department. Police protection is better now. Yes, there are a lot of foreclosures in Citrus Heights. Now is the time to buy. There are probably some great bargains out there. You'll find all of the goods and services you could ever need in Citrus Heights. We have Sunrise Mall, Costco, Sam's Club, Wal Mart, Lowe's, Home Depot, numerous grocery stores, and many nice restaurants. Citrus Heights is in the San Juan Unified School District. The City of Citrus Heights borders the City of Roseville and Placer County. From Citrus Heights, it is probably only about a 90 minute drive to Chico. You'll find more information on Citrus Heights from City-Data.com by clicking on the link below. I hope this helps.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Citrus...alifornia.html

Old 08-25-2008, 05:28 PM

599 posts, read 1,652,557 times
We just bought a home in Citrus Heights and really like the area we live in. It is very well established and you can get a home with character and at a great price. We moved from Folsom. There are pockets of areas that I wouldn't go to but they are everywhere you go these days. The school district is fine. Don't look past it. We almost did and I am glad we didn't as we got the home of our dreams.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:03 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,579,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy View Post
We just bought a home in Citrus Heights and really like the area we live in. It is very well established and you can get a home with character and at a great price. We moved from Folsom. There are pockets of areas that I wouldn't go to but they are everywhere you go these days. The school district is fine. Don't look past it. We almost did and I am glad we didn't as we got the home of our dreams.
Which part of Citrus Heights did you move to? Main cross streets?

Old 08-25-2008, 08:49 PM

599 posts, read 1,652,557 times
Down by Old Auburn

Old 08-26-2008, 11:34 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,697,727 times
There isn't anything wrong with Citrus Heights or Carmichael, my friend has her home in Carmichael and she likes it.

Just Roseville is a nicer suburb then those two - nothing wrong with them, just Roseville is a bit higher on the scale.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:27 PM

8 posts, read 30,905 times
Hey TaylorsMom...we live right next door. I'm in Grand Prairie. Moved here from the Bay Area 5 years ago and we are working on a move back home too! The decision to move back to CA seems harder than when we decided to leave (which seems backwards to me). I think because when we left my kids...now kinder and 2nd grade...were just babies. I've gotten used to the schools here (my kids are Mansfield ISD) and worry about moving back to CA because many area's have such a bad rep!

As many others have said on this board, there are pockets of "bad" areas most places. When we moved here my husbands co-workers said no way would they ever move to the "southside" of DFW. They are all in Flower Mound and Plano. They made it seem as if this area was the ghetto and basically turned their noses up when we decided on moving here. I think it's a wonderful area. I keep up with most community news but haven't looked into the increase in crime so I don't know much about that. I do know that if I could find a place in CA similar to the Arlington/Grand Prairie area as far as neighborhoods and schools go...I'd be there in a heartbeat.

Also, don't know what your housing budget is but keep in mind the property tax rate difference. My monthly property taxes here are almost as much as my principal payment.

I can't wait to get back to CA, I can't take another TX summer!! Good luck with your move!!

Old 08-28-2008, 04:10 PM

I just read some of the other forums on Sacramento and now I am afraid that Northern California is not waht I remember. I guess some people ar enegative about it and I should keep that in mind, but I am getting to the point where I can't stand it here. Since Hurricane Katrina and all of the evacuees have moved here with their FIMA money the crime rate has progressively gotton worse. I think I am just excited to move back to California and to hear all these people saying how dirty and congested it is I was disappointed! Thanks to everyone for their replies to my questions! I will keep it all in consideration when I come out to visit and tour in October.
Iscott29, We are next door neighbors! I also can't take another hot humid Texas summer! I know it is still hot in California, but at least it is a dry heat! The humidity here is ridiculous! The people in those northern areas do think that south is the ghetto, but look at how much more traffic they deal with and how much more they pay for housing! I am finding that there are alot of people going from Texas to California. I also love the city that Arlington/Grand Prairie was 4 years ago. It was very family oriented, and safe, but now the bad pockets are growing and I need to find another town that I can raise my girl in and feel comfortable and grow old with good friends! I love Chico and if I can find work there I will move there in a heartbeat. It's still small town with all the warm feelings of a small town, but still the convieniences of shopping and anything else you need! You should look into it! You may move up there! I hope I can! I am certainly not leaving when I get back there this time! Also, thanks for mentioning the property taxes I had not thought about that yet. Do you mean your property taxes in California are more or in GP?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento