Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 11:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,296 times

Advertisements

We moved to Fair Oaks about 10 years ago and have been very happy here. It has an active park district and a small village that is a hub of community activity. The closer you can live to Fair Oaks Village the better, although it is more expensive as well.

Regarding the commute, I must say that I left my downtown job shortly after we made the move to Fair Oaks. It was part of the plan. Before 7:30am, it will take 25-30 minutes for the drive. 7:30-8:30, it will take 40-45 minutes to get downtown. After 8:30, you're back down to 25-30 again.

Politically we find Fair Oaks to be fairly balanced. The high schools seem to be pretty good, although the facilities are getting pretty tired. The International Baccalaureate program at Mira Loma is one of the oldest and best in the country. Granite Bay and Folsom have nicer schools and facilities due to housing development taxes.

Feel free to ask any other questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigoletto View Post
I posted a few days ago, and I'm reprinting some parts of my previous post:

We will be moving to Sacramento this coming summer, and my job will be downtown. We are looking to rent for approx. 6 months to a year before buying (to get to know the area). My income will be $120K annually, plus any income from my wife's job.

What do you think of Fair Oaks? It looks like there are some fairly nice apartment complexes, and it looks like an older, established, very green area. Furthermore, it appears to be in a good school district, should we look at buying in this area eventually.

However, two concerns:

(1) What is the commute like to downtown? I'm OK with a 30-35min. commute, but not anything too much longer. How long does it take
these days?

(2) Is it very conservative, the way Placer county is? We are not necessarily looking for a Midtown vibe, but we are a fairly openminded,
tolerant couple, who is not religious. As such, we don't want to move to an area where all our neighbors etc. will be fundamentalist Christians and where we will have to join a church to have a social life. We are very tolerant of conservative views, but would ideally like to live in an area that has a healthy mix of viewpoints and where one's private views are
respected.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento