Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 10:20 AM

36 posts, read 170,743 times

Advertisements

The heat is fine. It took me one summer to get used to it. I was rather SHOCKED the first time I saw 110*, but honestly, it's not THAT bad. It's incredibly dry. I can handle the dry heat-it actually feels good, warms the bones. I can't handle it to be even in the 80's if there's humidity. I can't breathe in it. Honestly, just lug around a water holder with lots of ice and keep drinking it, and buy some shorts! That is the one and only thing I will really miss about CA when we move. The weather. We have the best, imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 01:15 PM

119 posts, read 518,181 times
Ludachris-

One of the differences between living in Sacramento versus visiting it from the bay area is that you will somewhat acclimate to the heat. That doesn't mean you won't feel it when its above 100, you will - but you will be better adjusted to to it. When you visited from the bay area, it probably felt like a blast furnace. But when you live here, it will still feel warm, but it will bother you less.

The other thing is that when you live here, you come up with things to do in the heat. When its 100 degrees plus, you end up doing stuff like going water skiing, sailing, rafting or swimming. When its 70 degrees outside, a lot of that stuff is a little too cold to do, but when its a 100, its rather pleasant.

Also their are a lot of micro climates in the region. If its 100 degrees in Sacramento, its probably 80 degrees at Tahoe and 70 in Napa. Its about the same distance between Napa and Sacramento as between SF and Napa and because there is less traffic between Sacramento and Napa, so you can get their faster. You can be to Tahoe from Sacramento in an hour and half.

What that means is that when its really hot people will spend the weekend camping up in the Sierra or along the coast.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:28 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,285,320 times
The heat pretty much took a powder today. It's around 80 degrees downtown, there are a few wisps of cloud in the sky, and there were a ton of people out on the street enjoying the comfortable weather.

mattinsac makes a good point about microclimates: if one really does get a stretch of 100+ degree days, that's when you schedule a day-trip to San Francisco or Tahoe to beat the heat, or just head to the river or the lake to take a dip.

But on a day like today, all you have to do is go outside and walk around. Tons of people at the farmer's market today--last week for Rainier cherries, tomatoes are getting cheap ($1.50 a pound, cheaper than the mealy Romas at Safeway for grown-on-the-vine organic) and some folks were just out digging the scene.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:27 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,545,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattinsac View Post
One of the differences between living in Sacramento versus visiting it from the bay area is that you will somewhat acclimate to the heat. That doesn't mean you won't feel it when its above 100, you will - but you will be better adjusted to to it. When you visited from the bay area, it probably felt like a blast furnace. But when you live here, it will still feel warm, but it will bother you less.
I honestly don't think that it will bother me much. In terms of acclimating, it didn't take us long to get used to the colder winters here coming from the Bay Area, so I can't see it taking long to get used to hotter summers there. My wife is just concerned now that she spends so much time out and about with our daughter almost every day. She's trying to imagine here day-to-day activities here and compare how they'd be out there.

I think it's a matter of her being really happy where we live now and trying to make sure the place we're considering moving to (mainly to be closer to family in the Bay Area) will be every bit as good. She doesn't want the move to be a mistake so she's focusing on every detail, in this case, the weather. It probably seems funny to Californians that someone coming from Denver (and the Bay Area before that) would have issues with the weather, but we've grown pretty fond of the climate out here I guess. In my opinion, the weather works out to be a wash. If anything, the state's financial crisis and tax code is the biggest concern for me. I just have to keep her convinced that the summers aren't going to drive her insane

Old 06-30-2009, 02:56 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,263,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
The heat pretty much took a powder today. It's around 80 degrees downtown, there are a few wisps of cloud in the sky, and there were a ton of people out on the street enjoying the comfortable weather.

mattinsac makes a good point about microclimates: if one really does get a stretch of 100+ degree days, that's when you schedule a day-trip to San Francisco
I stopped reading there.

Old 06-30-2009, 03:59 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
Back in the 80s and 90s, when California had real heat (e.g. during the late 20th Century Warm Period) I experienced:
- 105 F in SF
- 110 F in Sunnyvale
- 118 F in Santa Barbara (during a Sundowner)
- 111 F in Belmont

Now those were something to discuss.

Old 06-30-2009, 05:58 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post

mattinsac makes a good point about microclimates: if one really does get a stretch of 100+ degree days, that's when you schedule a day-trip to San Francisco or Tahoe to beat the heat, or just head to the river or the lake to take a dip.

But on a day like today, all you have to do is go outside and walk around. Tons of people at the farmer's market today--last week for Rainier cherries, tomatoes are getting cheap ($1.50 a pound, cheaper than the mealy Romas at Safeway for grown-on-the-vine organic) and some folks were just out digging the scene.
This morning was perfect and I enjoyed hitting one of the farmers markets early and getting first choice. Right now it's a bit over 95 and that is less than comfortable.

Old 07-01-2009, 03:51 PM

45 posts, read 192,171 times
the hotter the better

Old 07-01-2009, 08:27 PM

142 posts, read 535,059 times
I was reading about how there are certain people who seek out death valley in the summertime because they really do like the heat.

To each his own, I guess.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:29 AM

138 posts, read 510,975 times
Ludachris...When it is really hot (over 100) you just try to get your kids out to play earlier in the day and then watch a good movie at the height of the heat(say 2-4/5). It is a really easy pattern to fall into with your kids. They do enjoy having the break in the day and to rest from all the energy they have used up from playing early in that heat.Than they love to play with and around the water all the rest of the afternoon /evening. Places here prepare for that kind of heat. What is really miserable are those locations that get the heat waves of several days in the hundreds and have never heard of air conditioning prior to those few days of roasting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento