Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2009, 02:38 PM

1 posts, read 3,498 times

Advertisements

Any ideas on where to live and how long the commute has to be to make this possible? Thanks in advance. We're coming from the East Coast, so we're really clueless. We have a pretty high tolerance for a long commute, but I'm not sure how long long this one would be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 02:50 PM

405 posts, read 1,345,511 times
Something in the middle would be Vacaville or Fairfield. Both are mostly commuter towns. Suisun City is also in the area. I don't know the commute trends or times but all 3 cities are 'affordable' housing relative to areas around it. Probably looking at $325-$425k for a 3-4 bedroom house. Weather is pretty mild but can get windy. Good news is those areas are pretty close to Napa.

There is no easy commute into San Francisco. Even Sacramento freeways have gotten bad the last few years because of explosive growth.

Old 11-13-2009, 03:02 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,211,458 times
I'd go along with the Fairfield and Vacaville suggestion. I'd rent an apartment for the first year, to make sure you actually find the commute acceptable. Sometimes, a long drive gets real old real fast.

Old 11-13-2009, 03:14 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,986,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greymoon View Post
Any ideas on where to live and how long the commute has to be to make this possible? Thanks in advance. We're coming from the East Coast, so we're really clueless. We have a pretty high tolerance for a long commute, but I'm not sure how long long this one would be.
I feel for you.. that's a nasty commute.

You'll want to be somewhere in between the two. Benicia's a nice town, Vacaville is a good option. Fairfield would be a good compromise (just be sure to look to West Fairfield (much nicer, imo). Vallejo's alright (but some areas not so nice). The distance between San Francisco and Sacramento is about a two hour drive- that's not factoring in rush hour traffic.

Old 11-13-2009, 03:23 PM

405 posts, read 1,345,511 times
clongirl has some good ideas... Benicia is pretty nice with good schools... but pricey. I'd disagree with Vallejo... for the most part it's pretty scary. I'd consult someone that lives there for specifics because I just know it from business travel.

I also agree with the renting idea... but right now there are a bunch of houses for rent in CA. Primarily because there are people wanting to sell but won't take the loss... thus renting for a year or so 'til things turn. I'd explore that first.

Old 11-13-2009, 05:01 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,304,764 times
Live somewhere near the end of the BART lines in Pittsburg. I think Amtrak runs a commuter train to Sac as well.

Good luck!

Old 11-13-2009, 06:45 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,277,077 times
The Amtrak Capitol Corridor doesn't go anywhere near Pittsburg--it stops at Fairfield, Martinez, Richmond, Berkeley and Oakland. There is a BART/Capitol Corridor transfer point at Richmond, but you don't want to live there--or Pittsburg either, for that matter.

Old 11-13-2009, 09:15 PM

1,323 posts, read 4,699,820 times
As clongirl said, the driving time between Sacramento and San Francisco in normal driving conditions is about 2 hours. In rush hour traffic, it would probably be 3 hours each way. Think about the weekly cost of gas and the mileage and depreciation on your vehicle. The commute alone would wear you out very quickly. The recommendation that you live in between the two cities is a good recommendation. I recommend that your wife consider obtaining employment in Sacramento as soon as possible, or that you consider doing the same in San Francisco. The cost of living in Sacramento is probably going to be a little less than in San Francisco. If I had to pick between the 2 cities, I would choose Sacramento without any hesitation. Good luck!

Old 11-14-2009, 09:15 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,160,255 times
That commute will be bad. But if you're wife can take public transit to work and does mind having to take different forms of it and have to "transfer" at various points than you can do Vacaville. Catch the train at Fairfield and transfer to Bart. The commute from Vacaville to sac is not bad, but 1 accident can really throw everything off and make a day hell.

Old 11-15-2009, 02:37 AM

415 posts, read 545,427 times
I would sign a short lease when you get here and live some place in between. After 6 months you will have a really good idea of what life is like in Sacramento, in SF and your tolerance for the commute. Additionally in 6 months you probably have a really good idea of what your employment prospects might be in SF and what your wife's employment prospects might be in Sacramento. At that point, either you or your wife can get a new job in the city you like better. SF has a better climate, but is much more expensive. If you don't have kids, my hunch is you will end up in SF, if you have kids or are planning on doing so relatively soon, I suspect you will probably end up here because its easier to buy yourself into a neighborhood with better schools here than in SF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento