Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 06:34 PM

142 posts, read 535,440 times

Advertisements

Arden Arcade is in a study area, its not in the sphere of influence. For the reasons Kim laid out, I doubt it ever will be incorporated into any other city. It doesn't generate enough sales tax revenue and it doesn't have a lot of areas for potential new development.

Annexations

This article in the bee discusses more throughly the ins and outs of revenue sharing with the county. In theory, the founding of a new city or the annexation of an area from the county is supposed to be revenue neutral to the county, but the county and cities have some latitude to negotiate over the details.

Rancho Cordova battles county for tax revenue - Folsom - Rancho Cordova News - sacbee.com (http://www.sacbee.com/216/story/1812048.html - broken link)

The other reason to form cities that Kim didn't bring up was to save money by contracting out services. One of the strengths of Rancho Cordova and to a lesser extent Citrus Heights has been contracting. These cities have done a good job of bidding out the running of there police services to other agencies. If the CHP or the Sherrif's department can provide the service police protection cheaper, they will go with the cheapest contract. If the contracts are coming out to high, then they start there own services.

Relying on contract services instead of city staff has given these newer smaller cities tremendous budget flexibility. When budgets have tightened, they switched contracts to other providers or just didn't renew contracts. This way they were able to shrink and expand the local governments pretty well to match changes in local revenues. This has protected the credit ratings of these newer cities and meant increased job security for the smaller permanent city staff that these cities do retain.

My hunch is going forward, the other cities and local governments in the region are going to look more like Rancho Cordova and Citrus Heights - small civil service staffs, mostly contract work with other providers.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:03 AM

70 posts, read 197,003 times
Default sac or die

We are from New york...sounds like that's what you are looking for..it's unfortunate that along with the racial diversity there,you get crime.and dirty streets and the larger potential for a terrorist attack... along with the liberal attitudes.

PS..I am from an ethnic bi racial family

Old 01-25-2010, 04:29 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,458,138 times
^
bully for you.

I had a laugh when I read the thread header. Compared to Ohio, particularly this part of Ohio, Sacto is fairly diverse and doesnt seem to have the "mini-Detroit" aspect of semi- abandonded ghettos of poor and minorities like you see here in the Midwest.

Old 01-25-2010, 04:34 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,458,138 times
One of the things I thought was interesting about Sacto was that there were Sikh (more up toward Yuba City), Filipino and Portugese communities in the area, or people of that ancestry.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:03 PM

8,674 posts, read 17,303,137 times
There is a Sikh temple in West Sacramento too--the West Sacramento Historical Society did a display on the history of the Sikh community in Yolo County last year.

Sacramento has always been a very diverse place, the valley in general drew immigrants from around the world to work in agriculture, canning etcetera. West Coast immigration is often from Pacific ports--thus Filipino, Sikhs and others from the Indian subcontinent, Filipino (the best known of which is probably Stockton's old Little Manila) and of course the Japanese and Chinese. The Portuguese are a little harder to explain, but they definitely had a large presence in Sacramento--the old Southside neighborhood was the Portuguese neighborhood (in addition to Italians, Slavs and other immigrants) before it became more Asian (Chinese, Japanese and Pakistani) in the mid/late 20th century.

Old 01-26-2010, 02:48 AM

2,511 posts, read 6,305,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferyT View Post
^
bully for you.

I had a laugh when I read the thread header. Compared to Ohio, particularly this part of Ohio, Sacto is fairly diverse and doesnt seem to have the "mini-Detroit" aspect of semi- abandonded ghettos of poor and minorities like you see here in the Midwest.
Have you been around the Florin & Stockton Blvd area? Some of that is headed for abandonment.

Old 01-26-2010, 03:24 AM

Most of the Portuguese in California trace their heritage back to the Azores. Many were in the dairy industry in the San Joaquin Valley. Quite a few became farmers. Los Banos, San Jose, Livingston, Gustine, areas around Modesto, and Stockton were several of the places with larger populations of Portuguese.

Filipinos are mainly a result of military activity in the Philippines. More so around Navy bases than other branches of the Armed Forces.

The Japanese were known for growing field crops, especially strawberries, in the Florin areas from just before 1900 and up until the governments stupid policy of placing them in internment camps during WWII, destroying much of Florin's agriculture in the process.

The Chinese have been around since the Gold Rush and the construction of the CPRR.

Several different groups of Russians settled around Sacramento, doing mainly agricultural work in nearby smaller towns (Elmira, Sheridan, Wheatland), although a few settled in Sacramento. There is a Russian Orthodox church in Midtown. I don't know how old it is, but a church probably means a respectable number settled near the church.

That is all I can think of right now when it comes to some of the ethnic groups around Sacramento.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:11 AM

2 posts, read 6,580 times
i just think ur mad. isnt sacramento's fault though. u sit here and talk about superficial stuff. i've definitaly lived in more cities and countries than u so i think i'm qualified to comment. u got one point. yea sacto maybe not always poppin like vegas or l.a. true. it never will.

but u wanna talk about....the looks people give u on the street?????? u wanna talk about racism???? u've been in this world for 25years now? please lady. get ur mind right. what ur talkin about BELIEVE ME exists everywhere. the world u want to live in doesnt exist.

if u want more all around action and entertainment...i hear ya. move out. but all the other stuff u mentioned is every day life in america.

Old 01-26-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsosa33 View Post
i just think ur mad. isnt sacramento's fault though. u sit here and talk about superficial stuff. i've definitaly lived in more cities and countries than u so i think i'm qualified to comment. u got one point. yea sacto maybe not always poppin like vegas or l.a. true. it never will.

but u wanna talk about....the looks people give u on the street?????? u wanna talk about racism???? u've been in this world for 25years now? please lady. get ur mind right. what ur talkin about BELIEVE ME exists everywhere. the world u want to live in doesnt exist.

if u want more all around action and entertainment...i hear ya. move out. but all the other stuff u mentioned is every day life in america.
What language is that post in?

Old 01-27-2010, 08:54 PM

771 posts, read 1,583,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
I could go along and refute all of the rest of her points but it's a waste of my time since it's obvious the OP has never stepped foot in Sacramento and/or is just a troll.
x10000

I've lived here since 2007 and this is a nice city. Is it San Francisco or LA or NY or ATL or Dallas or Miami or Chicago? Nope - but move to one of those places if you think you'd like it better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento