Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 06:40 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwalking View Post
Where exactly is West Salem? West of I-5? Or west of the river? And where are the flats vs. the hills?

Thanks.

West Salem is on the west side of the river. The flats are from 1-9th streets and from about Patterson to Rosemont. Everything else in West Salem is pretty much in the hills from there, but it does flatten out towards Brush College.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 11:52 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,442,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
My impression is that the KKK types are in southern Oregon. They came with the logging many moons ago, and I don't think many overtly hold those views anymore. Frankly, I don't think overt racism is appreciated anywhere in Oregon. I think some white supremist types tried to move into John Day or Prairie City a while back, and they were told to move along. That is not to say we do not have our share of very conservative rednecks, but true racists are not very common in Oregon, in my observation. I cannot speak for Salem, but I think it is unlikely that it will be a big issue.

So come on up, and best wishes to you and your family!
The KKK came to Oregon with Southern Democrats after the Confederacy lost the war. Most of these people settled in Southern and Eastern Oregon. It's hey days in Oregon were the early 1900s until about 1920. There were still isolated clans and meetings across the state after that, but not much organized before then.

There are a couple of White Supremist groups in Eastern Oregon, but they're small and disorganized, although the Prison System is breeding some.

Old 12-18-2010, 06:10 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,428,020 times
There are more white supremacists in Portland and the Willamette Valley than Southern or Eastern Oregon.

Old 12-18-2010, 06:26 PM

5,462 posts, read 8,182,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
There are a couple of White Supremist groups in Eastern Oregon,
Good guess, but wrong!!

Typical of people who don't really know about Eastern Oregon.

This is probably the 10th time I have posted this link. All of the 10 SPLC (it doesn't take much to be called a hate group by them) recognized Oregon hate groups are in Western Oregon.

Hate Map | Southern Poverty Law Center

Old 12-19-2010, 11:08 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
There are more white supremacists in Portland and the Willamette Valley than Southern or Eastern Oregon.
Probably true. Based on pure percentages it must be true. Seems like a few wingnuts always pop up if you have enough people.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:08 AM

5 posts, read 8,817 times
My family and I will be relocating shortly from East Coast to West Coast. What area has a lower crime rate, Keizer or Salem?

Old 03-04-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giammetta1 View Post
My family and I will be relocating shortly from East Coast to West Coast. What area has a lower crime rate, Keizer or Salem?

Strictly statistically speaking Keizer has a lower crime rate, as smaller towns tend to. Both cities have different crime rates within neighborhoods.

Old 03-04-2011, 03:46 PM

963 posts, read 3,033,847 times
What Matters in Salem: Race or Content of Character?

One would hope that "content of character" matters a lot and race matters not at all. But in practical effect, the former is impossible to hide and the latter is impossible to discern. There will always be people who judge a book by its cover and make assumptions based on their prior experience...or lack of experience.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:09 AM

6 posts, read 12,920 times
Hi. I just want to close the loop on my question regarding race and Salem. It's been about 10 weeks since we moved to West Salem. We couldn't be happier. Our neighbors are awesome. We've already had dinner with some at their homes and have exchanged various baked goods. The children love their schools. I'm happy to report that we haven't had any "racial" incidents or bad vibes. It's a little embarrassing in retrospect to have asked, particularly since our new Salem friends are such good people.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpantheon View Post
Hi. I just want to close the loop on my question regarding race and Salem. It's been about 10 weeks since we moved to West Salem. We couldn't be happier. Our neighbors are awesome. We've already had dinner with some at their homes and have exchanged various baked goods. The children love their schools. I'm happy to report that we haven't had any "racial" incidents or bad vibes. It's a little embarrassing in retrospect to have asked, particularly since our new Salem friends are such good people.
Thanks for posting this. This question comes up a lot because of our low minority populations so it's nice to get some real feedback for others in a similar situation.

Welcome to Salem!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem