Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: For what good cause would you be more likely to buy an outfit for?
To help an organization who spays and neutures pets. 1 33.33%
To help an adult softball team earn money for uniforms. 0 0%
To help an organization who offers recovery to those addicted to drugs. 0 0%
To help a local family in need. 2 66.67%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 10:39 AM

1 posts, read 4,768 times

Advertisements

I am planning to open a small clothing store in downtown Salem. My inventory will consist of mainly pre-worn items in Great condition, Featuring the Hottest Labels, and Trends at much more Affordable Prices. ( Remember they are not new). I have found that most of my clothes are sized small (3's to 9's) and the reason is there are just more of them out there. So....I am hoping for some informative feedback to help guide me in the right direction when it comes to buying, pricing, and marketing for the store. Any tips, advice, personal shopping likes and dislikes, well wishes,...are all welcomed and appreciated.

Also, Do you think anyone would hire a personal shopper for upcoming events or special days?

Thankyou Very Much,

Beth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 03:39 PM

22 posts, read 36,602 times
i think there needs to make people in salem know more AUTSIM and the problem family with kids have on a daily needs kids need far more help then dogs and cats do

Old 06-07-2007, 12:15 AM

6 posts, read 22,588 times
I would buy clothes in Salem. I often shop at Meringue. I just moved here from Tucson. I notice the shops are weird and quirky, which is nice, but I wish there were more trendy boutiques here. It seems as if there will be, in a few years. Hopefully the city won't lose its charm

good luck with your store,

hailey

Old 06-23-2007, 05:05 PM

6 posts, read 44,499 times
Default To Haileyb

Haileyb, I am also planning to move to Salem from Tucson with my family and wondered if you are happy with the change. We are looking at the moment East of the river for a home. Is the Marion Str. Bridge a big problem during the commute? I think our biggest concern is the reduction in sunny days but this is certainly offset by the cooler temperatures in summer and no scorpions and rattlers etc. and grass....how I and our dogs miss grass! Thanks for any advice and/or comments. Josette.

Old 06-23-2007, 08:07 PM

366 posts, read 386,819 times
I lived in Salem for awhile...I would shop at a store like that and I can be somewhat of a clothing aficionado when I'm in an area that allows for that--but--my advice would be to keep it to the downtown area. I've seen stores of that type fail in Salem for reasons of location.

A personal shopper might not catch on there.

Josette, the Marion Street bridge is only a problem during the afternoon rush hour between 4:30 and 5:30 unless there's an accident or something on the bridge or close to it, which doesn't happen too often.

Old 07-02-2007, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosetteT View Post
Haileyb, I am also planning to move to Salem from Tucson with my family and wondered if you are happy with the change. We are looking at the moment East of the river for a home. Is the Marion Str. Bridge a big problem during the commute? I think our biggest concern is the reduction in sunny days but this is certainly offset by the cooler temperatures in summer and no scorpions and rattlers etc. and grass....how I and our dogs miss grass! Thanks for any advice and/or comments. Josette.
We are very happy. But we don't much like sun! I think I've had a lifetime of sun!! I don't think the Bridge is much of a commute problem, compared with other cities. Salem is small, and its a little funky. I like that about it. I think in the next 10 years it will become more hip. Crime is much less than Tucson.

Weird things I can't help but notice about Salem:

many many one way streets, like Tucson downtown. But, I've adapted. It was stressful the first few weeks though.

so easy to grow food. Just put the plant in the ground and it grows! We have grapes and raspberries and tomatoes and herbs right now.

You will have to pay for garbage pickup, and it is cheaper in Tucson, but eh, we've become more careful, and much more 'green' since moving here.

Living near Portland gives me my 'big city fix'--museums, more gardens, the beach, fishing and hiking are less than 40 min away.

You will never pump your own gas here. Gas attendents are mandatory. Weird, huh?

the farmers market is wonderful, and it isn't 109 degrees when we go!

The city is clean and friendly to families with young children. I feel it is less toxic than Tucson, less smelly, people walk more and drive less. There are parks museums, carousel and many other activities for kids.

In my experience, Oregon in general is more progressive and 'green' than Arizona. I like the emphasis on gardening and conserving natural resources.

In short, I love it here. Cost of living for us is a less than Tucson, but I know it can vary. Our electric bills are considerably smaller. There is no sales tax, and we can buy from cheap quality local vendor for food and staples. We live in the city and don't drive much. I admit that I feel its a bit funky and old sometimes, but we go to Portland every few weeks. I'm much much happier here than I was in Tucson.

I'd encourage you to check it out yourself. Its so variable, one person to another, what people like in their lives.

Old 07-02-2007, 01:33 AM

oh, yes, there are supposedly no poisonous spiders or snakes here. And we haven't seen any, so far.

Old 07-14-2007, 12:57 PM

3 posts, read 10,407 times
Josette~
We relocated from Phoenix a year and a half ago and totally love it. Everything HaileyB said is true --love the no tax, and having gas pumped for me. We're not fans of the sun --after 17 years in the desert, I welcome the gray and wet seasons of Oregon. And the people here are so much different, especially on the road. I've been flipped off only one time since I've been here, and people, even crossing the bridge are very curteous and allow things such as lane changes. I live in West Salem, and cross the bridge daily. It's fine, and you learn to drive differently here. It's not a race or a sport. We'll all get where we're going if we're patient and get along. That lesson took my dh 3 tickets and a wreck in his first year to learn! He assured me he just couldn't make his car go 35 miles / hour.

There are some other observations I'll add... while plastic doesn't shatter if left outside in the sun (ie: resin chairs) I sure never had moss on my roof or mildew in my shower in Arizona. I do however dust much less frequently!

My biggest concern is parking. In the desert there is endless free spacious parking. Here it is a comodity and spaces are tight. SUVs are a bit of a hindrance.

Good luck!!!

Old 07-15-2007, 12:59 AM

1,217 posts, read 4,033,250 times
Oregon Mom, perhaps you need to start a different thread. It would be advantageous to discuss the issue at hand and to use punctuation so someone can understand what you're saying. This thread is about shopping in Salem, NOT autism. Start an autism thread.

Thank you.

Old 07-15-2007, 05:36 AM

10 posts, read 34,397 times
Default Also moving to Salem

HOBO, Hailey B, other Salem experts,

My wife and I are moving to Salem next month, from another hot and bothersome place (Florida). Was undecided between Portland and Salem, but knowing that we'd never be able to afford a home in P, we've decided on Salem. Going to rent as briefly as possible and then buy. Seems like housing prices are about the same as here, but FL's market is tanking (we made 25% less than we would have a year ago).

Anyway, any advice on good places to rent? Elder statesman Larry C. said to avoid SE Salem due to the prison. Commute not a concern, as anything will seem tame after the perfect storm of imcompetent drivers in So Flo. I'd like to keep our rent below a 1000$/mo. and I'm seeing homes on C's-list for this and less. Just hard to know sight unseen. Know any really trustworthy prop. managers? Thanks in advance!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem