Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 07:39 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,452,471 times

Advertisements

Just a vote here for living in Sandy. I live and work in Sandy. I live 3.5 miles from work. Never have to get on a freeway. LOVE it.

As for diversity - we are located near the Sandy/Draper border. My husband and I moved to Utah from Los Angeles 20 years ago. We've been in our current home 12 years. We have neighbors from Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin and California. And yes, it IS diverse. Do not believe anyone who tells you Sandy isn't diverse. It's changing - rapidly.

Our home is probably 19 years old and valued at $270-300K. About 2500 sq. feet. We have .20 acres - and mature trees. We are approximately 11700 South and below 13th East.

There are homes in our near neighborhood for sale. Yes, there have been foreclosures. We're near the Skaggs Catholic Center if you prefer your kids get private education. But we're also close to public schools.

I honestly do not see how Cottonwood Heights is more diverse than Sandy. But that's just my opinion.

Sandy City has a first class Parks and Recreation:

Sandy City: Parks and Recreation

And The Dimple Dell County Rec Center (10th East and 10600 South) is also outstanding. With programs and an indoor pool - and first class equipment.

http://www.recreation.slco.org/dimpledell/

I wish you luck.

Last edited by mlb; 06-30-2010 at 07:45 PM.. Reason: Adding link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 09:38 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bexbex View Post
Are there any neighborhoods/streets with newer homes in Cottonwood Heights?
Yes, I've seen lots of homes in Cottonwood Heights that are 10 years old and less. You might find answers to a lot of your questions here.

Last edited by Katzpur; 06-30-2010 at 09:46 PM..

Old 06-30-2010, 10:02 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
I honestly do not see how Cottonwood Heights is more diverse than Sandy. But that's just my opinion.
You may be right. I was just stating my opinion, too. They're probably not all that different. I've just heard Sandy characterized as being heavily LDS all my life. I know that on my particular street in Cottonwood Heights the ratio of LDS to non-LDS is pretty close to 50%-50%. We have one Asian, one Hispanic, and one Middle-eastern family out of the total of twelve families. Also, a friend of mine who is a realtor once told me that Cottonwood Heights is considered in the industry to be a "non-LDS friendly area." That's something that's never mentioned to prospective buyers. I guess it's considered unprofessional to put it that way, but if non-LDS home buyers express a concern about moving into an area where they would blend in more easily, realtors often show them homes in Cottonwood Heights. In fairness, when she mentioned this, she did not compare Cottonwood Heights to any other areas in the city. Of course, the closer you get to the downtown area, the greater the diversity, too. Some people just prefer a newer home, so that limits their choices to some extent. For them, I would suggest Cottonwood Heights. I feel about Cottonwood Heights the way you do about Sandy. Both are probably good areas.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:48 AM

17 posts, read 58,272 times
Default Air Quality

Thanks for the additional information!

Do certain areas/towns mentioned in this thread experience less negative effects on air quality due to temperature inversions than others (2 of us have asthma). Thanks!

Old 07-01-2010, 08:57 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,214,487 times
Quote:
Thanks for the additional information!

Do certain areas/towns mentioned in this thread experience less negative effects on air quality due to temperature inversions than others (2 of us have asthma). Thanks!
My 9 year old as asthma and we were using his nebulizer almost daily in CA. Since moving here he has not been that bad at all. During the winter he had a couple attacks but only when he was outside playing too much or the inversion was going on for days in a row and eventually made it up to us. We are on the “west bench” and many people tell me that it only gets up here on the very worst days and it did seem like that to me.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:26 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
It depends on your elevation - the lower you are in the valley, the worse the inversion. This year I followed the news advice to stay indoors on "red" days and I rarely had to use my nebulizer. There were however, days when I did.

Old 07-01-2010, 03:36 PM

17 posts, read 58,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
It depends on your elevation - the lower you are in the valley, the worse the inversion. This year I followed the news advice to stay indoors on "red" days and I rarely had to use my nebulizer. There were however, days when I did.
Does Draper have the highest elevation of these 4: Draper, Sandy, Cottonwood Heights, and South Jordan? If so, is it enough of a difference that the air quality is better?

Thanks!

Old 07-01-2010, 04:55 PM
mlb

You don't have to have asthma to suffer from the inversion. My husband has to get his inhaler out - and we avoid going outside as much as possible. The longest I remember it going was 3-4 weeks in winter.

Higher up into the foothills - the better - but there are areas of Sandy/Alta that are practically in the Cottonwood Canyons. Higher elevation than Draper too.

You want to steer clear of Suncrest in Draper. They have serious problems in that the City OK'd the development before getting clearance from engineers who specialize in land movement. The whole place is a sand dune ready to fall in an earthquake. Just not safe.

Old 07-01-2010, 04:59 PM
mlb

I've just heard Sandy characterized as being heavily LDS all my life. I know that on my particular street in Cottonwood Heights the ratio of LDS to non-LDS is pretty close to 50%-50%.

That's something that's never mentioned to prospective buyers. I guess it's considered unprofessional to put it that way, but if non-LDS home buyers express a concern about moving into an area where they would blend in more easily, realtors often show them homes in Cottonwood Heights. In fairness, when she mentioned this, she did not compare Cottonwood Heights to any other areas in the city. Of course, the closer you get to the downtown area, the greater the diversity, too. Some people just prefer a newer home, so that limits their choices to some extent. For them, I would suggest Cottonwood Heights. I feel about Cottonwood Heights the way you do about Sandy. Both are probably good areas.[/quote]

That may have been true 20 years ago - but not now. We have Asian (Buddhist), Black, Hispanic, Middle Eastern neighbors as well.

No one has ever bothered us about not being LDS. My spouse is Jewish (non-practicing) and I am a black-sheep catholic who stopped going to church in my teens.

Old 07-01-2010, 06:20 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,214,487 times
Quote:
Does Draper have the highest elevation of these 4: Draper, Sandy, Cottonwood Heights, and South Jordan? If so, is it enough of a difference that the air quality is better?

Thanks!
They all vary, you need to get a GPS that has the levation. My house is at 4,800 feet. I am in South Jordan but up the hill, parts of SJ are lower just like all the cities you mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area