Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 02:27 PM

2 posts, read 3,849 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

I'm currently debating on my next move and where that will be. Right now I'm stuck between two, probably completely different, locations. SLC or Savannah GA.

Now, I have a little bit of a feel for Savannah, but no experience with SLC area at all. I've only spent one day in Savannah, and I've got friends living in the area who absolutely love Savannah. The only problem is I'm split between Savannah and SLC at the moment.

Savannah is a beautiful southern town, the people seem to be absolutely wonderful there as I've found most southerners to be. It seems the social atmosphere in Savannah would be hard to beat. The only thing Savannah doesn't have is much of an outdoor activity scene. Even considering this I think I'd be happy in Savannah.

But when it comes to SLC, I am really drawn to all the outdoor activities SLC and Utah has to offer. The natural beauty and the climate seem wonderful. My big question is what is the social atmosphere around SLC? I'm a 32 yr old single guy. As wonderful of a place as Utah and SLC are, do the people and the social atmosphere and energy of SLC remotely compare to Savannah? I'd love to got to SLC, but I don't want feel socially isolated or find it difficult to meet people and make new friends. Oh, and I'm not LDS.

And if anyone has any opinions of the two places, of one over the other perhaps, I'd love to hear them!

Thanks!

Last edited by Buckeye78; 10-26-2010 at 02:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 03:10 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
The climates are polar opposites. There is no humidity to speak of in Utah, in summer it's usually around 10% and in winter, maybe 35%.

You really need to visit, and for more than 1 day, to see if you would like it. The city, to me, has a "squeaky clean" feeling but the scenery is gorgeous! You only have to drive 30 min to be in world-class outdoor areas - winter sports and summer hiking/climbing.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:26 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,858,315 times
To anybody who asks me what the social atmosphere is like in SLC, I ask them to explain to me what chocolate tastes like ...

So, what are you looking for ?
What are your priorities ?
You have a job at either place in your plans ?

Old 10-26-2010, 09:56 PM

7 posts, read 24,491 times
Never lived in Savannah but been there a couple of times. Great town, nice people, history, etc but I think you'll see everything there is to see within a year or so. I've been in Utah for 4 years now and still discovering things; frankly I can't imagine living anywhere else.

That said, you're pretty much in the drivers seat regarding the social part. SLC is just like any other medium sized city but a little cleaner and safer. Club and alcohol rules are a little differant but not so much as to sway a decision to relocate. Don't worry about the LDS thing either; it's over-hyped by people outside of the state.

Disclaimer - I'm a native Californian but have also lived in the northeast, southeast, mid-atlantic and midwest; I'm never leaving Utah unless it's in a box.

Old 10-26-2010, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshirt25 View Post
I'm never leaving Utah unless it's in a box.
A new one on me ...
I usually leave Utah in a car, or by plane ...
In a box ... ? weird ...

uhm ... wait a minute, I got it ...

So, you do not like to be buried in Utah ??
Oops, not trying to hi-jack this thread ....

Old 10-27-2010, 05:53 AM

2 posts, read 3,849 times
irman,

Yes, have job opportunities in each location so it's really down to just choosing one over the other.

I guess what I'm looking for is a place where people want to reach out and socialize with others. Not a city where people find themselves mainly going from work to home and don't want to be bothered too much. People who reach out really. I know you can always fit in some way in any town, but it would be great to go somewhere where I don't have to really go looking very hard for it.

It would be great to find a lot of friendly young-ish adults looking for the same thing. People who are down to earth, welcome outsiders and like to have a good time. And a city that accomodates and facilitates that environment. From what I've heard SLC has friendly people, but is it just friendly in passing?

Old 10-27-2010, 10:19 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,214,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye78 View Post
irman,

Yes, have job opportunities in each location so it's really down to just choosing one over the other.

I guess what I'm looking for is a place where people want to reach out and socialize with others. Not a city where people find themselves mainly going from work to home and don't want to be bothered too much. People who reach out really. I know you can always fit in some way in any town, but it would be great to go somewhere where I don't have to really go looking very hard for it.

It would be great to find a lot of friendly young-ish adults looking for the same thing. People who are down to earth, welcome outsiders and like to have a good time. And a city that accomodates and facilitates that environment. From what I've heard SLC has friendly people, but is it just friendly in passing?
My coworker moved here from CA in January and she is single and she has had no problem making friends. Even before she moved here she had friends of friends inviting her to stay with them while she checked the area out, she was even invited to stay in SLC for Thanksgiving dinner last year. Now that she is here she joined several hiking groups and has made more friends that way. We still talk about how friendly and different it is compared to Los Angeles.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:30 AM

25,747 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Because much (I think I can say much at this point) of the population along the Wasatch Front is from California, I think the vibe you will get is a lot like California, except, as someone else said a bit "cleaner and safer." So think "California Junior." It's certainly not at all (socially or climatically speaking) like anyplace in the deep south. I think the difference could be generalized as a "west coast attitude" compared to "deep south attitude." It just depends on which suits your fancy. Personally, I could never live in the deep south (the heat and humidity would kill me), but in a way, I'd prefer the social climate of the south--at least judging from my brief experience with the southeast.

Old 10-27-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Good !!! That is 90 percent of your worries put at ease. If you have a job opportunity, then you will make friends, once you start working. Then depending on what kind of people are working with you, you will find some commonality.
Quote:
You will find that most married colleagues will be doing just that, going from work to home, but since you are single, the *other* single people you will meet will be doing similar things you will be doing.
Once you get here, you can check this place out and taking all the suggestions of a place where to settle, from the posters here or from the people where you would be working, then just go on with what you always have been doing.
Quote:
It would be great to find a lot of friendly young-ish adults looking for the same thing. People who are down to earth, welcome outsiders and like to have a good time. And a city that accommodates and facilitates that environment. From what I've heard SLC has friendly people, but is it just friendly in passing?
You will find plenty of *youngish* people here. Actually quite a bit of young professionals. Most of them single.
You will find that living here for a while makes you either, want to leave this place as soon as possible, or makes you wonder why you did not come here earlier. It kind of grows on you. People are friendly and when you make friends, they are long term friends. Plenty to do after work on week ends here so a lot of choices there.
Realise tho that everywhere, you meet some people who you do not click with !!

If you have a *hobby*, there are ways to get in contact with others who have the same interests.

Just be yourself, and have an open and inquisitive mindset. Accept people for who they are. People are living beings and therefore can change or adapt. Develop an *Oh Well ...* attitude. If you can not or will not, do not come here, find another place, and may *heaven help you*.

Also, you must know that Utah is predominantly LDS in certain areas. So you will be contacted sooner or later and be told about *The Church*. If interested, OK, if not, please do not behave like a *heel*, but kindly tell them that you need to think about what they have said. It is like the way of telling people that you do not agree, but in a very kind way. Word gets around and they will not shun you, or you will not feel shunned. If they ask you, if there is something they can help you with, by all means find something to do for them.

LBNL, get the job secured first !!! Good luck !!

Old 10-27-2010, 08:33 PM

15 posts, read 30,657 times
Savannah seems very outgoing...I don't live there, but have visited. I live in a quieter part of GA. We are contemplating Utah as well...and hoping our job transfer pans out and lands us there. I am so tired of the heat and humidity of the deep south. It is exhausting and makes you sweat more in places no one should sweat LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area