Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 09:51 AM

4 posts, read 18,695 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking to move to Salt Lake City (non-mormon mixed race couple). We are currently living with a family member in Utah County, and are itching to get up to Salt Lake. I started working at the University of Utah a couple months ago.

We have been looking for a house and were looking north of 21st and east of State, but there are not a lot of desirable houses in our price range at the moment (around 150k).

We have recently expanded our search to Rose Park area--there are more houses in our price range, but I am worried about the negative comments I hear about Rose Park. Is it as bad as people make it out to be--or is it that people from Utah are not used to having a racially diverse neighborhood?

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 10:16 AM

1,294 posts, read 3,255,651 times
Rose Park is not the greatest place. I am sure there are plenty of great people there but overall, they have high crime compared to the rest of the State.

I personally would look somewhere else.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:40 AM

2,502 posts, read 6,976,157 times
Depending on what you are looking for in a home, there are some in Tooele County in that price range. It is a longer drive, but UTA does come out here. Ivory Homes has some very nice townhomes in Stansbury Park. It would still be a shorter commute than from Utah County.

I know I have seen some really cute condos/townhomes in Murray, too, for right around that price range.

For whatever reason, Rose Park just seems to have a higher level of crime than other areas. Personally, I wouldn't buy there. Homes do not seem to increase or even hold their value very much in that area.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:51 AM

Where can you find the crime rates by neighborhood?

Old 12-08-2010, 11:44 AM

2,502 posts, read 6,976,157 times
Try this website
Welcome to CrimeReports.com

Zoom into the particular neighborhood and the crimes should be listed.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:56 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,846,929 times
I know someone who lives there, has lived there for many years, I even visited him for a small gathering one night - he personally has had no problems. But it is true the houses don't appreciate as far as I know. And I guess it depends on which block you live on, too. He has long-time residents, not gang-bangers on his block.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:14 PM

Is the Fairpark area just south of Rose Park generally the same?

Old 12-08-2010, 01:20 PM

1,294 posts, read 3,255,651 times
Yes, generally you want to look towards the southern valley or east of I-15 (or north into Davis County).

Since your working in at the U, I would try to look more over there.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:28 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,981,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I know someone who lives there, has lived there for many years, I even visited him for a small gathering one night - he personally has had no problems. But it is true the houses don't appreciate as far as I know. And I guess it depends on which block you live on, too. He has long-time residents, not gang-bangers on his block.
My mother's cousin has lived in Rose Park for well over 60 years and I'm not aware that she has ever had any problems with crime. It's true that the area does not have a great reputation, and it's probably warranted, but some people do seem to like it.

Old 12-08-2010, 03:05 PM

73 posts, read 148,151 times
I think your hunch was right, it's mostly because Utahns aren't used to a racially diverse neighborhood.

I personally believe that Rose Park is going to be the next spot in SLC to gentrify - and fast. It's close to downtown and has lovely housing stock from the mid-century. I know of quite a few gay couples who've moved there, which is usually a telltale sign, and younger generations aren't as freaked out by hispanics in baggy clothes. I would think that your house would appreciate handsomely in the coming decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area