Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2011, 12:47 AM

1 posts, read 4,877 times

Advertisements

Greetings,

I have a question that I've been wanting to ask ever since I moved to Salt Lake City. I came from San Francisco and been here for like a month. Back in San Francisco, I used to visit 2 different record stores that sells variety of different used/new CD's, vinyls, DVD's, games, videos, etc.. Those 2 stores are called Amoeba music and Rasputin music. There, they sell everything from gothic rock to celtic, classic rock, etc. I'm a big fan of gothic rock, and tried finding stores that sells this music, but it doesn't seem to exist. Does anyone know of any record stores in Salt Lake City that sells those type of music? (Some examples includes these popular gothic music bands: Bauhaus, The Sisters of Mercy, Joy Division, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Dead Can Dance, etc..)

Moderator cut: too new, read TOS

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 07-19-2011 at 06:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 06:10 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
There is a store on 2100 S, just east of 1100 E that might carry what you are looking for. Can't think of the name.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:41 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,213,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masquerade View Post
Greetings,

I have a question that I've been wanting to ask ever since I moved to Salt Lake City. I came from San Francisco and been here for like a month. Back in San Francisco, I used to visit 2 different record stores that sells variety of different used/new CD's, vinyls, DVD's, games, videos, etc.. Those 2 stores are called Amoeba music and Rasputin music. There, they sell everything from gothic rock to celtic, classic rock, etc. I'm a big fan of gothic rock, and tried finding stores that sells this music, but it doesn't seem to exist. Does anyone know of any record stores in Salt Lake City that sells those type of music? (Some examples includes these popular gothic music bands: Bauhaus, The Sisters of Mercy, Joy Division, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Dead Can Dance, etc..)

Moderator cut: too new, read TOS
I haven't found anything like Amoeba here but I haven't had a spare 4-5 hours to spend in a CD store like that. I do love that place.

I stumbled on this place and they have several locations, I imagine you would need to call and ask what their selections are like.

Graywhale Entertainment - Home

Old 07-19-2011, 10:38 AM

5,120 posts, read 16,598,343 times
I puchased cds from the Graywhale in Taylorsville but I'm not certain if they have goth rock music available or not.

Here's a place that sells records in Taylorsville. Maybe they could help you find what you're looking for.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:51 AM

18,218 posts, read 25,857,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
There is a store on 2100 S, just east of 1100 E that might carry what you are looking for. Can't think of the name.
Good morning Southern Belle! It's been a long time since I've hit the SLC stores, let me see if I can help here.

The name of the store is called Record Collector. It was opened up in 1984 by Dave Hansen. Pretty nice store, the major drawback being the parking situation as you have to park out back and come in through the back door. When you drive past on 2100 South you'll see what I mean. He has a very sizable inventory of used vinyl and CD's. When I've traded with him he's always been straight up with me, and his quality control (aka visual grading) has almost always has been good. Closed on Sunday. His nicer items are listed on e-bay but to my knowledge it's an e-bay store and not auction so a local individual should be able to purchase those type items, though there might be an item or two that does go on bid auction.

Randy's Records was opened in 1978 and still going strong today. Unlike Record Collector he sells a huge amount of newer product (newer releases and 180 gram audiophile stuff-LOTS of back catalog classics from the 60's to early 80's.) He's located on 157 East 900 South. Phone#is 801-532-4413. Open 5 days a week, closed Sunday and Monday. The store is smallish, but that place is packed with product and I mean PACKED! Same inventory amount with CD's, carrying lots of categories, both new and used. He also handles dvd's, sells VHS tapes super cheap, and has a fair amount of used equipment too. Like Record Collector, his quality control is usually good. One thing to keep in mind: If you are buying new release vinyl, he does not have a return privilege unless there is something seriously wrong with it. A lot of mom and pop stores have that problem. At least thankfully, new releases are back with us collectors after a long and unnecessary absence. Have never sold or traded with him, always just bought. Also from time to time, he has dollar sales in a building across the street, I believe next to the insurance agencies. For the most part, it is overstock 70's and 80's Rock, but you'd be surprised what you might find.

Added note: I have seen quite a bit of Joy Division, Bauhaus, Siouxe, etc., etc. in there from time to time. He carries all genres of music as the building is packed with product. Randy's also sells plastic sleeves, and I think inner sleeves as well. It's been a while since I've been to these stores, but hope this helps you. Good luck!

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 07-19-2011 at 11:16 AM..

Old 07-19-2011, 11:22 AM

Two other stores you might consider (I've never been in either of them), is Slowtrain-221 E. Broadway in downtown Salt Lake, and Positively 4th St., 249 East 400 South. Looks like a couple newer businesses here, should be worth a look/see.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:33 AM

5,120 posts, read 16,598,343 times
Oh, Randy's. How could I have forgotten Randy's? I haven't been ther in many years. Great place. I rarely go downtown (which for me is anything north of 33rd South).

Old 07-19-2011, 01:29 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
I think I meant SLC Surf, a new store that I think carries music as well. Or maybe Raunch? I get the 2 confused but they are both on 2100 S around 1100 E, more or less.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I think I meant SLC Surf, a new store that I think carries music as well. Or maybe Raunch? I get the 2 confused but they are both on 2100 S around 1100 E, more or less.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Ooh, I'm glad you posted that. I tried Record Collector's phone # and it has been disconnected. Their website is still up, though.

In the meanwhile I googled in Raunch and the search site "Yelp" came up with some info. The address to this business is 1115 E. 2100 South (phone number is 801-467-6077) Hard telling if it's a new store or the same one with a different name that moved down one building. Yelp does have a couple recommendations, the last one 3 months ago.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 07-21-2011 at 10:39 AM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area