Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2007, 08:28 AM

1 posts, read 2,287 times

Advertisements

Hi, just a quick introduction. I am a 21 year old college senior from PA, graduating in May as a business administration major. I should finish with a GPA around 3.6 from a good Catholic college with all the business accrediation stuff. I have been a huge Jazz fan for a long time and I've always wanted to move to Utah so I could be a season ticket holder, even back when I was 14. I have been working and saving for years, and have more than enough money for a down payment on a house.

I've been doing some research and am getting mixed reviews about the LDS community. I'm Catholic, easy to get along with, and I also don't drink or smoke like the LDS people. But what I fear the most is discrimination in the workplace, you know, would LDS be favored over me for promotions? I have always been branded a top worker at my previous jobs.

It also seems that the jobs in Utah are decent, not great. Considering the above regarding my education, can I get a decent starting job (hoping for $40K, would probably take $35K minimum)? Would prefer something in government or something with opportunity for advancement. I am pretty smart financially and I don't need to be rich, just want to be able to make a comfortable living. I've been looking on http://www.usajobs.govfor (broken link) government jobs, as the other job websites mostly require experience for non-sales jobs.

As someone who has never moved before, is it in my best interest to rent first and find out if I like the place, and if I do, buy a house? How much can I expect to rent for a decent place? As stated before, money isn't a problem, but I would still need a mortgage for a home.

I'd like to end this post by saying that I have lived in PA my whole life. I don't really care for it. The jobs here suck, there is a drug problem, the people aren't very smart, and most people's social life consists of bars and clubs which aren't my thing. The positive is that this area here is really cheap to live in (and some people are still constantly broke), but I really have no interest in anything other than the Jazz and money. I've never really traveled a lot (from NY down to FL), and I feel like I need a change. Any answers to my questions, input, guidance, etc. is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 03:59 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,974,602 times
I am also Catholic and moved from NJ 13 years ago. I don't feel like I have ever been discriminated in the workplace. Maybe I have and I just didn't realize it??

Generally, I have found the LDS to be a live and let live type of sort. Seeing this is how I am, we have always gotten along. If I have an issue with someone, it is them personally, not the religion. I wouldn't get along with that particular person if they were Catholic, Buddha, or what have you.

Trying going here for your job search

Department of Workforce Services - Utah's Job Connection

I would rent until you have decided that Utah is where you really want to be. It is a great state, but does taking some getting used to. Especially not being used to the culture. Adjusting to living here was a HUGE culture shock for me coming from the East Coast! Rents really depend on what type of housing you are looking for (apts, house, basement apt, studio apt). Would you be up to a roommate? It also depends on where you want to live. Rents on the east side of Salt Lake (east of I-15) are somewhat higher than rents on the west. Tooele County is less expensive and a pretty nice place to live, although you will have at least a 30-40 minute commute to Salt Lake twice a day.

I have to tell you that stupid people are all over. Utah has its fair share, just as any place does. It also has some really great people that would give the shirt off their back to a complete stranger!

Best of luck in your decision and if I can help further, just ask.

Old 10-25-2007, 05:15 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,599,761 times
I am an accountant working a government job in Salt Lake. I work my job for the great benefits, not for the pay. I would estimate that if I searched for a job in the private market, I could make about $5k more per year. But my government job has state retirement benefits. That's why I stay here.

Did you post what city you wanted to live in?

Old 01-05-2008, 07:51 PM

494 posts, read 1,897,976 times
Most "professional" jobs start at 30-35K. We have a lot of Universities in Utah, and graduate a lot of business majors. I would consider moving elsewhere. I am not mormon, an Accountant, and have not felt any job-based discrimination (where I work is predominantly Mormon). I don't advertise that I'm not Mormon, though.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:36 PM

111 posts, read 626,176 times
I really don't think that you're not being LDS would be an issue as long as your open and friendly. It's definitely a plus that you live some of the standards of the LDS religion (don't drink / don't smoke) so that is in your favor.

I think you should definitely rent first before you buy a house. That way you could really explore all of the different areas Utah has to offer before making the commitment on mortgage. Although, as a Jazz fan, you'll probably want to live close to downtown to get to the games easily!

Congrats on your upcoming graduation!

Old 01-07-2008, 11:31 AM

186 posts, read 570,302 times
You'll get along fine with everyone. I'm LDS and do not care what religion you are. I think that is the mind set of most people in the SLC area. In fact, I'm friends with alot of Non-LDS people. We get along great, and why shouldn't we. There may be religious differences but that doesn't mean you can't be friends. Anyhow, I think you'll find UT to be a great place.

Old 01-07-2008, 12:11 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,385,483 times
If you want to move here, I would definitely rent as opposed to buy right away. You never know if you are really going to like a place.

I would also consider if you would be happy outside of basketball season? Unless you like the outdoors, there is not much else to do around here. Personally, I don't care about that because I really like hiking, biking and skiing - and thus this area really appeals to me.

I am not LDS, and while I find some of the influence a little weird, it really does not affect me too much. You may or may not get along fine with people here, it all depends on being able to find people you click with. The only thing that I think may be different to you is that most people your age will be married and already having kids.

As for your reasons for not liking PA: The jobs here suck, there is a drug problem, the people aren't very smart, and most people's social life consists of bars and clubs which aren't my thing. Utah has plenty its share of people who are not very smart - and not to say this is special to Utah, I have lived in PA, Indiana, Ohio and Washington, DC and there are plenty of "stupid" people in all of those places.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:23 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Considering your lack of experience with anything outside of the eastern US, I would recommend you go out to Utah for a visit before committing to going out there to live. I am also from PA, and I can tell you living in the west will be a culture shock. It may be even more of a culture shock in Utah b/c of the large LDS population. Opinions on this board vary re: the discrimination towards non-LDS, but there is no doubt that the LDS culture is the dominant one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area