Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2013, 02:15 PM

2 posts, read 2,259 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I decided I just wasn't finding the answers I was looking for by "lurking" on the site so decided to post and hope for some feedback.

Let me start with this, I'll be completely blunt and honest. I have no issues what-so-ever with others choices regarding faith. I myself am Catholic but it's something I have never pressed on anyone nor would I. Each and everyone of us are unique in our own ways and that is the beautiful thing about this country. Our individualism.

With that said, I have a wonderful opportunity to relocate to SLC from the Midwest. It will most definitely advance my career with an outstanding "family orientated company". I've spent a great deal of time researching on forums etc and needless to say, I have some real reservations now on if I should or shouldn't accept the offer.

1st, I'm somewhat of a private person anyway. My friends have been lifelong friends and I seem to gravitate towards having very close friends rather than a bunch of mutual acquaintances. I'm a 42 yr old male and would be relocating ALONE. No friends in SLC, divorced and my 2 boys are grown. Are there groups for non-LDS members, it appears Sugarhouse and areas near SLC proper maybe the most diversified when it comes to living arrangements.

I mentioned that I'm 42...I'm not dead yet! LOL Dating and finding someone to spend the rest of my life with will be important. I do like to have a drink once in awhile with a meal and I am classified as "trying to quit" smoking so I have some strikes against me. I would want to fit in and have something resembling a social life like anyone else would.

I realize the culture will be prevalent...I gather that much, I'm open to Ward activities and appreciate that LDS member are passionate with their beliefs. I respect that as much as I would expect anyone to appreciate and respect my Grandmother who says the Rosary everyday and attends church at least every other. To each their own right? Would I convert? Doubtful but I never say never...it would be my choice.

So what I gather with what I read is that it can be "trying" for non-LDS children and being single can be difficult (possibly an understatement). I really don't care about the alcohol laws so no need to discuss that I guess. It's a beautiful area that's been described as a "bubble" which aren't my words. What type of future could I reasonably expect and is my anxiety over this decision justified?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 06:28 AM

33 posts, read 84,032 times
Much more is made of the LDS situation out here than I think there is but, for any kind of diversity you do need to stay in SLC proper. LDS are not bad people at all, and we have plenty of Jack Mormons too. However there is little separation of Church and State in Utah. Much of our Legislature is LDS so most laws lean that way here but, they make room for others as well. It's nice out here, good weather, bad inversions. It's one of the prettiest spots in the Rocky Mnt. chain I think. I wouldn't have anxiety. You might think of the East Mill Creek/Canyon Rim/Mt. Olympus, area too( Little Cottonwood Canyon, Big Cottonwood Canyon, Millcreek Canyon areas). Affordable, average type people, rentals and buys there. Sugar house is ok. But much of the activity is 20 to 30. You are getting closer to the University crowd. Although there are some a little older too. Houses aren't that affordable there.They are old & expensive, cause it's considered granola/chic/historic/revamped. If you want to buy a home that was built the 30's for $350,00.00+ that has four electrical outlets, you're in Sugarhouse. It's easy to find people with like minded activities here. Stay East. If you don't mind driving and have a good budget, you can always do Park City, 30 miles up the hill (Parleys Canyon), where you get into the "I wish I lived in Aspen crowd" or Federal Heights in town, no rentals and expensive homes, beautiful neighborhood but, it takes bucks. If religion is an issue to you, we have a huge beautiful old Catholic Cathedral here as well. Cathedral of Madeleine right down town not far from the LDS Temple, and they have a big presence here too. The Salt Lake Valley is huge. There are LOTS of people here that are not LDS. We have all the same kind of neighborhoods and areas that any other town has, just depends on how far you want to drive and how much you have to spend .But finding friends or activities like yourself isn't hard here. If you like to ski or want to learn, you are deffinatly in the right spot. Lots of Mountain activities in the summer too. Great wildlife, all kinds of stuff here.

Last edited by RLWBSW; 05-05-2013 at 07:04 AM..

Old 05-05-2013, 07:02 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,858,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLWBSW View Post
However there is little separation of Church and State in Utah. Much of our Legislature is LDS so most laws lean that way here but, they make room for others as well.
There IS separation, but not in the way that "The Church *rules* the State".
The people who are in the legislature ARE mostly LDS, and stout members to boot ...
Being a good member in the LDS Church means also that it is a 24-7 religion,
so it reflects their thinking and actions, unlike many other religions where
it varies from *once a week* to maybe baptism, weddings, death, Easter and Christmas ...

In the end, keep in mind, it is, like it is, and it will be that way, for a very long time.
So either get used to it and stop complaining or do not move here at all.

LBNL, I have never known a Church that teaches intolerance to other people beliefs,
altho there maybe some, I am not familiar with. If the people do not follow that rule,
that is another matter, and there will always be people who do not follow
the teachings of *their church*.

So move here, adjust, and enjoy life. You do not like it or think you would never get used to it,
nobody will ever tell you NOT to move away from here.

Katzpur, used to have a thread, all about what it is like living here
(can not find it anymore and wonder what happened to it),
but you can contact her and ask again.

Old 05-05-2013, 07:35 AM

33 posts, read 84,032 times
The "MORMON" question one is always one that takes me a back a little. I've live here 14 years, was raised Episcopalian. Not LDS. I've never had one issue with Mormons out here. EVER. I own a business, I've found SLC welcoming, friendly, beautiful, diverse, etc...
The questions begin almost as though people think they would be moving into an Amish community in Lancaster PA. or something. (not that anything is wrong with that)
Most LDS are just like anyone else you meet!! They do not have four eyes and horns. Actually the LDS pump a TON of money into this town. As with anyone of any religion, hopefully you would not be disrespectful. You would not have to be LDS to not appreciate that.
But GEEZ, they are just like anyone else. It always starts out "What about the Mormons?" Well, what about them??? I have several that have made wonderful friends. They are not offended that I am not LDS, belong to a Stake, or go to Temple. They are fine with it, the subject never comes up!!
Do people really think this is the Twilight Zone out here?? It looks just like anywhere else U.S.A. except we have a gorgeous landscape. Till you get to Hilldale that is.
Heck I'd rather stay out of Poplar Grove than Bountiful!! LOL!

Old 05-05-2013, 09:15 AM

3,097 posts, read 2,224,306 times
flatout24

There are aspects such as dating I cannot comment on. Other than that, the religion stuff is way overrated. We moved from midwest last year and love it here. I would second RLWBSW comment that we have found SLC welcoming, friendly, beautiful, diverse, etc. The location is wonderful, people are nice. While our process of making deep friendships has been slow, some of the most wonderful people we have met have been mormons. There are things I'd like to see changed here - like some of the right wing politics and a few ridiculous laws - but the people here are definitely fine. Sure there is LDS church influence on the state and its legislature but it seems both positive and negative. While I disagree with the ideological bent of the legislature and governor, the city/state seems to be better run than the typical midwestern states.

So, feel free to come with an open mind and heart without a worry.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:38 AM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
The "MORMON" question one is always one that takes me a back a little. I've live here 14 years, was raised Episcopalian. Not LDS. I've never had one issue with Mormons out here. EVER. I own a business, I've found SLC welcoming, friendly, beautiful, diverse, etc...
The questions begin almost as though people think they would be moving into an Amish community in Lancaster PA. or something. (not that anything is wrong with that)
Most LDS are just like anyone else you meet!! They do not have four eyes and horns. Actually the LDS pump a TON of money into this town. As with anyone of any religion, hopefully you would not be disrespectful. You would not have to be LDS to not appreciate that.
But GEEZ, they are just like anyone else. It always starts out "What about the Mormons?" Well, what about them??? I have several that have made wonderful friends. They are not offended that I am not LDS, belong to a Stake, or go to Temple. They are fine with it, the subject never comes up!!
Do people really think this is the Twilight Zone out here?? It looks just like anywhere else U.S.A. except we have a gorgeous landscape. Till you get to Hilldale that is.
Thank you so, so, so, so much for posting this. I'm a Mormon and have lived in Salt Lake City all my life. I'm retired, so that will give you some idea of how long "all my life" is. I grew up in a practicing LDS family, had both LDS and non-LDS friends growing up, and still do. One of my two closest friends now is LDS; the other is not. The non-LDS friend invited me to be a part of a newly formed book club about four months ago. The subject of religion has never come up, but I suspect I'm the only person in the group (there are 9 of us) who is LDS. I'm just guessing, because I'm the only one who doesn't have a glass of wine when we get together once a month. I don't care if the rest of them do, and they certainly don't seem to care that I don't. As a Mormon, I get so sick and tired of people who want to move to Salt Lake City, but who at the same time seem to be convinced that such a move will make them the only human among aliens. (Note to OP: I did not get this impression from you, but the subject does always seem to come up sooner or later in most of the threads on this forum.) Anyway, thanks, RLWBSW, for your post. It is much appreciated.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:34 AM

2,502 posts, read 6,974,602 times
Quote:

I agree!! I have lived here 18 years, having moved from NJ. I am not LDS, I am Catholic (well...agnostically Catholic) and I also have never had one issue with LDS. They are some of THE nicest, helpful and welcoming people I have ever met in my life. If someone is rude to me, the first thing I think of is "what a jerk" not..."it is because they're Mormon". After all, I wouldn't know if they were or weren't, unless they told me!

Old 05-05-2013, 12:05 PM

1,066 posts, read 892,612 times
My wife and I moved here 2 years ago from the Midwest, and have found the LDS worries to be mostly baseless. I have a mix of colleagues and friends and all are great people, LDS or not. The LDS friends I do have are friendly, helpful, great, and travel a lot to experience other cultures and the world in general. They don't drink when we go to pubs, but they certainly don't say anything when we do, or that we shouldn't go to a certain place, and even look for places we might enjoy.

For the most part, it's an aspect of life here, but it shouldn't be a big issue unless you want to overly focus on it being an issue imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area