Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2014, 01:41 PM

1 posts, read 3,197 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I have been dreaming of moving away from Southern California for a while, the weather, beaches, mountains, and familiarity will be missed, but the liberal push/religion bashing and cost of living will not be! I have been thoroughly been researching to live in Utah, among other places, in the next few years, but have a few general questions first.

First off, I am a non-denominational practicing Christian. I do not plan on converting to LDS, but wish to be involved with a non-denom Christian church. I would say I am more on the moderate scale politically/socially, but quite religious. Would finding churches be a problem in SLC/Orem/Provo?

Second, is racial/social discrimination a problem? I am fair skinned, dyed black or sometimes crazy color hair and can have a very eccentric hair style and dress code. However, who I plan on moving there with is dark skinned but average in terms of dress and presentability.

I am not too concerned with finding physical jobs there, other than to fill in the gaps of my design work that can take place anywhere. I hear there are a descent amount of jobs in the $10-$15hr range?

How are the city/neighborhood sizes? I am not an overly social person, I do not feel the need to meet all the neighbors and have weekly dinners, but having a sense of hospitality would be a plus. Roommate also is not super social, but again hospitality or a sense of it would be great.

How is the dining? I am a huge foodie, and cooking is an absolute favorite hobby of mine. All I really need are a few malls/shopping centers, and places to get organic and fresh groceries/meats/fish.

Thank you very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 02:34 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
There are about 80 different "brands" of religion in SLC. I am sure you can find one you like.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:25 PM

5 posts, read 9,852 times
I live in Sandy, Utah just outside of Salt Lake City. I moved here from northern California 4 years ago. Utah is quite a bit different socially than California. With the neighborhood sizes, they tend to be small. I live in a very established, heavy LDS neighborhood. I can say with some confidence that probably 8 out of 10 of my neighbors are LDS and there is a steady stream of traffic every Sunday morning past my house to the ward building. Most neighbors know each other. I'm not LDS, so they have not been exceptionally friendly towards me, but not mean or rude either. There are several non-denominational churches in the area, but you can't escape the Mormon influence. It's on the local news, on bill boards along the highway, in restaurants where alcohol can't be displayed and people talking about their family members on missions like an everyday conversation. It is odd when you come from California.

The state is very politically conservative across the board and is all about God and Country. That is not a typical state of mind in California, it is dominant here. I would SERIOUSLY recommend that you stay away from Orem/Provo. It is a beautiful spot, but Utah County, where those cities are located, literally shuts down on Sunday, to the point that the big mall in town closes and it is hard to find a local restaurant to eat in. It was recently voted the happiest place to live. I personally think it's because it's in a bubble. Please check it out before you decide on that location.

If you're a foodie, you'll find a lot of great eating places. One of the benefits of being in a state where there is a church headquarters is that people come from all over the world and bring their cultures with them. There are some fabulous eating places along the Wasatch Front.

You'd probably do fine with your style of dress and hair. It's not that uncommon, especially in downtown SLC. I worked in downtown SLC for the first 2 years here and loved the energy there, very vibrant.

I hope that answers a couple of your questions.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:43 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladykari64 View Post
... The state is very politically conservative across the board and is all about God and Country. That is not a typical state of mind in California, it is dominant here...
However, if you read the Salt Lake Tribune online (http://www.sltrib.com/), you will recognize the editorials as being, for the most part, quite progressive. Most letters to the editor are progressive & critical of conservatives. The Salt Lake Tribune, the main newspaper, is owned by the liberal Media News Group.

Park City is a fun area to consider. It is expensive - because many people want to live there. But it might be right for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area