Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 07:02 PM

48 posts, read 50,171 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in living in either Logan or SLC...and want to live near USU or UU

I don't know...I don't have a car. Logan seems to have pretty cool cvtd stuff going on. I haven't explored Salt lake yet, will start tomorrow.

I really don't mind the boring vibe of Logan. I like boring for the most part, and can deal with it...hmm maybe I will aim for staying in Logan. The vibe is chilled on campus. I'm wondering if SLC, or the area near UU is similar in that vibe of chillness. Thats really where I plan to spend a good amount of time. At the same time, I don't mind a cooler night life like I would assume exists in salt lake

and...what about Ogden city? near weber U? no good? a possibility? stay away at all costs?

I guess I want to live near one of these colleges/universities. Haven't been to Ogden or SLC yet. Will explore SLC for sure though. Or maybe there is a different part of Utah that would be a good fit. I'm an artistic musician type of person. I really don't like busy areas, but as long as there is a cool university nearby that could break up the chaos, then I could probably survive it. So I am open to really all suggestions if anyone cares

Last edited by field l0ver; 04-30-2015 at 07:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 07:26 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,811,853 times
Ogden has a relatively good nightlife whereas SLC has it much more so.

Have you considered the climate you want? Keep in mind Winter hits a month earlier in Logan and Spring pretty much a month later. Thus, in a typical year (which this last one was not) Ogden and SLC have about two more months of good weather.

If you need to work part time while in school Logan has (obviously) fewer opportunities. Ogden has more and SLC has the most work opportunities.

Bill

Old 04-30-2015, 08:22 PM

ya know what... I just had a convo with someone who said that the gang culture in SLC is considerably active...

I'm starting to think that my best bet is to head to idaho! I'm slightly confused right now...I mean where I come from we have hoods, but not so much of a gang culture. I'm confused on the whole thing... I think I'll attempt to stay in Logan or head to pocatello

Old 04-30-2015, 08:31 PM

so maybe we can change the conversation to: Logan UT vs. Pocatello Idaho?

or generally any good college towns/cities in Idaho

I don't know...I don't need many work ops, IMO less is better. I don't like to do too many things all at once and I can take things slow. School...I'm not actually looking to be a student, just to soak up some college culture and have a place to walk around and think my thoughts, and interact

Old 04-30-2015, 09:09 PM

914 posts, read 973,548 times
Gang culture! Really? I have been out loads in SLC to music, sport etc and never seen any issues!I am in my 40's and have 2 kids and never had an issue being out late in the city. Might be the odd area where there is a bit of unsavoury activity but having lived in London ,and have friends here from California never seen anything of the sort. Have done field trips to the U of U and is a brilliant University from what I can see with a vibrant & mixed student body. Loads if work in Utah. Been here 3 months and have a job already. I must be missing something?

Old 04-30-2015, 09:28 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by field l0ver View Post
ya know what... I just had a convo with someone who said that the gang culture in SLC is considerably active...
I'm not sure where this "someone" is getting his information, but it's highly exaggerated. Seriously, you need to come down to Salt Lake and spend a while here. I think you'd love it. You said that there's not much of a gang culture where you're from. It might be helpful to us to know where that actually is.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:40 PM

914 posts, read 973,548 times
Couldn't agree more Katzpur!

Old 04-30-2015, 11:46 PM

762 posts, read 2,118,635 times
Unless you're in a gang yourself, you will never notice "gang culture" in SLC. Because it doesn't exist.

Also, Logan without a car is challenging, to say the least. SLC (if you stay near the U/downtown) is not. And Logan winters and inversions are considerably worse than SLC. A friend in Logan always says that most winters up there are 9 months long.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:52 AM

2,502 posts, read 6,973,917 times
WE HAVE A GANG CULTURE?! Let me tell you, I lived in NJ and saw gangs in Philly and Camden. Having lived here since 94, I can tell you it is NOT a concern.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:34 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,668,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by field l0ver View Post
I'm interested in living in either Logan or SLC...and want to live near USU or UU

I don't know...I don't have a car. Logan seems to have pretty cool cvtd stuff going on. I haven't explored Salt lake yet, will start tomorrow.

I really don't mind the boring vibe of Logan. I like boring for the most part, and can deal with it...hmm maybe I will aim for staying in Logan. The vibe is chilled on campus. I'm wondering if SLC, or the area near UU is similar in that vibe of chillness. Thats really where I plan to spend a good amount of time. At the same time, I don't mind a cooler night life like I would assume exists in salt lake

and...what about Ogden city? near weber U? no good? a possibility? stay away at all costs?

I guess I want to live near one of these colleges/universities. Haven't been to Ogden or SLC yet. Will explore SLC for sure though. Or maybe there is a different part of Utah that would be a good fit. I'm an artistic musician type of person. I really don't like busy areas, but as long as there is a cool university nearby that could break up the chaos, then I could probably survive it. So I am open to really all suggestions if anyone cares
Oh, oh, I got this - and I'm totally not biased either (Uh.. don't look at my user name..)

Okay so CVTD is great, and free, and the campus buses are also free! You do not need a car in Logan.

Logan is most definitely NOT boring. It is a college town. It is like 18,000 18-25 year olds who are living away from the parents for the first time in a town that caters to college students at a university that understands it must provide extra-curricular activities for the students to do. People go to campus, they go to class, they hang out, they play frisbee on the quad, they go to some other students apartment, then they go to another apartment and you study there, then maybe you go home, or maybe to a party.

The U of U (and Weber) are commuter schools. The students mostly live at home, with a few that live in dorms or near campus. People go to class, they go home. Once in a while they go to campus for something else, but... they're commuter schools. If you want a quiet studious student life, I recommend the U (it is a better school) but Weber will do in a crunch.

Is SLC better than Logan? Well, yes. It is. Overall it is a bigger, better and more exciting city. There is a better economy, there are more things to do (but they all cost) and there are a LOT of people. Logan is a farm town that a major university grew up in. The economy is... decent... but because most people there don't have much income there are SO many inexpensive and free things to do.

As for the universities themselves they are competitive. The U is again bigger and better funded, but that doesn't make it a more impressive university. Some of their programs are better, but likewise some of the programs at USU are better. Oh and all the athletics events at USU? Free.

Haha, seriously though - best of luck. Consider both. Some people really do like the U better, though I probably wouldn't consider Weber much. Ogden is okay as a city, but Weber is a more of a regional school. i wouldn't consider ISU (in Pocatello) at all. Pocatello is a terrible town and ISU is not a very good school. Most people outside of the area haven't heard of ISU or WSU. The U and USU are both nationally known.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
View detailed profiles of: