Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 07:46 PM

8 posts, read 102,443 times

Advertisements

Any Info on Logan, Utah would be greatly appreciated. Hows the Unemplowment rate there, are there jobs there. They can be any jobs, minimum wage, or above. Doesn't matter to me as long as there are jobs there. Hows the people are they friendly to new people moving there.
Also what is the average rent for an 1 bedroomApartment, or Studio there. Does Logan,Utah have any cheap Motels like Mom and Pop Motels there that rent Monthly, or at Least Weekly.
ANY info would really be great. Thanks

Old 01-25-2012, 05:53 PM

2,707 posts, read 2,825,915 times
Can't tell you anything about the job situation as I am retired, but can give you some of my perspectives on the people. My wife and I moved from Texas for a change, and we got it. The people are nice as nice goes, but there will be an aloofness if you don't belong to the LDS church. The church runs the state, and it is evident everywhere. We have nice neighbors in our subdivision even though my wife and I appear to be the only non-members. We seem to be accepted, but there has been inuendos toward us about coming to their services. That being said, we live a little south of Provo, so I can't say a lot about up that away. Don't know where you're from, but you will have snow, and being further north than us, a lot more. We have been here going on 4 years, and the worst so far was the winter of 2010-2011. I counted 7 months sitting inside looking at a winter-wonderland. For a country boy that worked outdoors my whole life, it was torture.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:38 AM

2,502 posts, read 6,949,175 times
Wow. Apparently, LDS can not be friendly in Utah and invite someone to any of their functions (including their services) without it being an innuendo...:/

I guess all these times I have been invited to things, and my children have attended functions with their LDS friends, it was all just a gimmick. Here I thought they liked us...they really liked us.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:04 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,794,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 124c41 View Post
The church runs the state, and it is evident everywhere.
@ 124c41:
Would you say the same thing about any other State in the USA ?

What is going on is that *The Church* per se does NOT run the State at all.
What is happening that the controlling entities who run the State, are probably, mostly, LDS as far as their membership in some kind of Faith is concerned.

If one would really investigate what *The Church* (as an entity) admonishes their members, then you might find that The Church admonishes the members to be very active in the governing aspect of their lives as a whole. So when you get a lot of *controlling people* in any government who are members of a certain faith, then you as a layman gets the idea that a *Church* is running the State.

I always teach my children that *complaining about something* is not a good thing to do, because it does not change anything, unless you do something about it. That something can be summed up in one sentence.
If you can not beat them, join them,
or if you do not want to join them, beat them !
Otherwise, keep in mind that
sooner or later, you will get used to it,
just like being hung from a rope,
after a few minutes you do not complain anymore ...

Why are you here anyway ?
Because you liked what you saw?
Because you figured out, this place may the best place to be, at this time?
For some reason or another, YOU made the choice to be here, in spite of those things you do not agree with ! So live up to that choice, and go on from there.

For me it was just *as bad* as for some of those who do not like the way this State is *run*.
I hated it here ! I thought people did not know how to drive !
Then I remembered: Everything happens in 3 stages (as I was taught).
1 - You abhor it
2 - You condone it
3 - You embrace it
I am (after umpteen years here) in stage 1.8 ...
I would NOT live anywhere else !!

So ... , if you read again what I wrote above, where *The Church* admonishes the members to do what is good for them, guess what ??? They do exactly that !! They get in the government aspect of life in Utah, and they do do it with all their might !
Figured out yet why it is like it is here ?
Actually not half bad a way of life huh ???

In the end, figure out how much *good* versus how much *bad* you have here (in YOUR view), and then decide if it is still worth it to live here.

Nuff sed.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:40 PM

600 posts, read 1,926,920 times
Logan is a nice old town with a great old looking main street. It has lots of malls, restaurants, stores and your people because of the University.

Job market is as rotten as in all of Northern Utah though unless you got connections, are a rocket scientist or ok to flip burgers for 7.- an hour.

But I am optimistic that times will be better.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:50 PM

Default can you help with info?

what is the average rent for an 1 bedroomApartment, or Studio there. Does Logan,Utah have any cheap Motels like Mom and Pop Motels there that rent Monthly, or at Least Weekly.
ANY info would really be great. Thanks

Old 01-31-2012, 11:52 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,370,116 times
I currently live in Logan. The job market is not good here right now. I would not recommend moving here without a job lined up.

As for your other questions, a 1-bedroom apt is around $450. Housing is hit or miss, because there is a LOT of student housing. So it does take some searching to find an appropriate rental.

The only place in Logan that I am aware does a weekly rate is Alta Manor Suites. I checked into it once for my family, and they seem like they are always booked solid.

Old 02-02-2012, 04:27 PM

Default thanks for the info on Logan

Quote:
Originally Posted by easternerDC View Post
I currently live in Logan. The job market is not good here right now. I would not recommend moving here without a job lined up.

As for your other questions, a 1-bedroom apt is around $450. Housing is hit or miss, because there is a LOT of student housing. So it does take some searching to find an appropriate rental.

The only place in Logan that I am aware does a weekly rate is Alta Manor Suites. I checked into it once for my family, and they seem like they are always booked solid.
Do you remember what is cost weekly at the Alta Manor Suites?

Old 02-26-2012, 10:00 AM

3 posts, read 15,140 times
Logan is an interesting place. I moved here from the Northeast a little less than two years ago and love it here. My view is a little skewed, though, as I am in a PhD program at Utah State University, so in a lot of ways I am in a little bubble (my department is comprised of people from Massachusetts, Minnesota, Virginia, as well as from Cameroon, Vietnam, Korea, etc). My dealings with townsfolk has been pleasant, and I find most LDS people to be genuine, sincere, decent people. Again, though, I don't work for or with many Mormons, so I'm not sure how I would react in a situation where 90%+ of the individuals were LDS---I would not have come here if that was the situation, and it is the situation for many other non-Mormon people in Logan who seem to be fairly resentful toward the dominant culture.

There are little, nuisance laws that are irritating about Logan and Utah in general. I am in a condo, but other graduate students rent apartments or houses from strictly Mormon landlords who have bizarre rules, such as no alcohol on the premises, no members of the opposite sex spending the night, etc. Very odd moral laws considering these are off-campus locations and involve individuals well over 21 in most cases. And if you enjoy the occasional alcoholic beverage, of course, there is the 3.2% law in Utah (no alcohol sold above 3.2% alcohol content). Preston, Idaho is just 15-20 minutes up the road, though, so it's pretty easy to skirt that sort of unAmerican idiocy.

As far as the surroundings, absolutely beautiful---breathtakingly so. The Canyon is just up the road and looks like something from a dream (well, to an easterner unaccustomed to such geography). There are a lot of skiing and snow-related activities as well. I will also mention that Logan is extremely inexpensive, with 1 bedroom apartments for under $500. And one more note---Logan on Sundays is just spectacular. The Mormons typically don't shop on Sundays, and the town is completely empty, making it wonderful to gallivant around.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:53 AM

3 posts, read 17,111 times
Rent is cheap. My favourite part of living in Logan is easy access to a lot of outdoor activities. It is so easy to go up Logan Canyon or Green Canyon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah