Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 08:48 AM

914 posts, read 973,709 times

Advertisements

Where is this?The Zion curtain? We went to squatters on StPats day, sat at the bar & had a drink and the kids were allowed to sit at the bar with us. Red rock had the same thing. We also went to the Hubernian Irish centre and could drink there on St Pats with children in tow.Yes not allowed in the green pig with kids or Gracies but it is what it is and the OP doesn't have kids so not an issue.Is strange sometimes and frustrating for us , even at music gigs in the Depot where you cant go in the bar and get a drink as have kids , but cant take a pint downstairs and drink f go in alone as this is a non alcohol area but not the same at Energy solutions arena where can drink beer whilst watching a game and the soccer , they all have different liscences. There are ways and means. Yes the laws are different and take some getting used to , and I am from the UK with some of the most liberal alcohol laws,where you can just bring kids in a pub and have drink with friends, no food, no ID but then they still have to be out of there by 8pm, same in Ireland. It does I agree to some extent seem tough here compared to other places but liberal laws also bring with it issues, as we had a pub near a park which regularily saw people just leaving their 4 year old to roam the park whilst they got wasted in a pub so there are extremes with everything and I am not anti alcohol in the slightest.Great you have a big place in Phoenix but the point I was making is that the State liquor stores here are still well stocked with Cider, mixers,beer, whiskey etc. Also the Wasatch Brewery in Sugerhouse does stronger beer, as a brewery so they are allowed to and not partcularily expensive. Im off to California in the summer for a vacation and Im sure I will find the laws more liberal but you still have to be 21 to drink as this is US law which again was weird for me when I came here as an 18 year old and could not drink on holiday when I could in the UK. But hey that's life. Every country/place has its quirks and as you say you can find ways round it, deal with it or not bother going there but that's what different cultures are all about ! They don't do sausage rolls here or Cornish pasties in a bakery (which I miss at a picnic) which I find strange as they do in lots of other countries including Australia & NZ when I lived there, but hey that's life. I have 3 solutions, move back to the UK , make my own or suck it up. Not a deal breaker for me and I make my own. They went down a storm here at work and with my kids soccer team. Like I said, we all have our own things and cultures. Makes life interesting , or frustrating whichever way you want to take it. Even Sweden, one of the most liberal countries in Europe has strange alcohol laws and cannot drink after a certain time of night which isn't particularly late whereas with other things anything goes! A good friend who lives here, lived in Canada and where they lived had worse alcohol laws than Utah so we are not the only ones !

Last edited by Montygirl; 06-06-2015 at 09:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2015, 11:22 AM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorgirlUtah View Post
Oh yea don't forget the hours of the liquor stores they are ridiculous always gotta plan ahead for the holidays. Want some alcohol and didnt plan ahead too bad. Can't buy liquor on holidays. Nevermind the prices of alcohol in the state are ridiculous gotta pay for that watered down beer. Or getting treated like a criminal going to restaurant and want a cup of that watered down alcohol getting double id. Also the lovely zion curtain. wouldn't want to pour a glass of alcohol in front of a minor. I moved to Phoenix last year so I no longer have to deal with that silliness. If you think the state liquor stores are big you haven't seen anything yet we have a store here called total wine and more first time I went in it it was like a kid going into a candy store that place was at least 2-3 times the size of the state liquor stores and they have liquor sampling available its amazing to actually feel like an adult after living under such stupid laws for so long.
We're all so happy for you.

Old 06-11-2015, 01:24 PM

762 posts, read 2,118,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorgirlUtah View Post
Bar scene and Utah you must be dreaming right. Utah has the worst alcohol laws known to man. The mormon church also runs the state. I'm so happy I'm no longer there. Missing my friends and the gorgeous mountains but not missing the ridiculous laws of Utah
We're all thrilled you're no longer here, too, believe me.

While I agree that a number of Utah's liquor laws are absurd and in need of repeal, if you're going to have an opinion about the laws you should at least be educated about them. Utah does not have the most restrictive alcohol-related laws in the United States, let alone "known to man." Mississippi, Kansas, Pennsylvania, and some Maryland counties, just to name a few, have equally absurd, if not more absurd, laws than Utah. Hell, even Massachusetts doesn't allow happy hours, just like Utah. And then there are all the counties in Oklahoma and Arkansas that do not allow alcohol of any kind, ever.

Old 06-18-2015, 06:08 PM

11 posts, read 57,084 times
Salt Lake City also has plenty of youth because it is also a college town.

Old 06-18-2015, 10:57 PM

388 posts, read 549,256 times
Many if not most of those students are just locals who live here anyway, I think college town is a stretch and many of those students are not really youths. The U is a commuter school by most descriptions (over 85% live off campus) . Visit on a sunday even in term time. for the full effect. Average undergrad is 24 and but 31% are older than 25. Just undergrads LOL.

Old 06-18-2015, 11:18 PM

Im confused, so who lives on campus if so many are from the city?

Old 06-19-2015, 01:13 PM

@ 13% of students live on campus, U of U students will come from all over, not just SLC proper. Room and board at the U is very expensive for the location (hardly a bustling metropolis), it is cheaper to rent outside of campus but realistically many of the undergrads will just live at home and commute.

Old 06-19-2015, 02:09 PM

ah ok, yes know there is a big international contingent at the U of U. Didn't realise not so many from around here and that campus was so underoccupied

Old 06-19-2015, 05:35 PM

There isn't a BIG international contingent and the campus isn't under occupied, it is set up that way. It is just a local commuter school.

Old 06-20-2015, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeequeen View Post
There isn't a BIG international contingent and the campus isn't under occupied, it is set up that way. It is just a local commuter school.

Really when we have been there on several visits there has been a real variety of students from overseas.
anyway thanks for clarifying. The facilities are amazing for as you call it a local commuter school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area