Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 01:10 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,963,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytidid View Post
Did I miss where she said he was 20?
It's in the title of the thread, kaytidid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2015, 03:32 PM

21 posts, read 48,159 times
As the Mom of two sons in their 20s, I agree with Geo-Aggie. A roommate is the way to go. I get your concern about your son and I can't blame you for wanting to come out and help him get settled but be careful not to do too much for him. :-) He definitely doesn't want to live in Draper. Draper is going to be a more expensive area to live in. I would stay away from Murray as well and don't live in West Valley City. Sugar House and the Avenues are fun areas of Salt Lake for someone that age. Commuting via TRAX is a great way to save money and there are a lot of apartments with easy access to TRAX. If he doesn't want to live in Salt Lake, Lehi is a nice place to live but like Draper, there are a lot of families there and it might be boring for a 20 year old. But, if HE likes things more quiet, Lehi is close to Draper. If you've never heard of Ikea, you may be in a really small town and perhaps he'd be comfortable in Lehi. Next to Lehi is American Fork and rentals there are pretty cheap. There are colleges all over so there's no shortage of people in need of roommates. Good luck. It's hard to let go. I understand. This is far away but it's a fairly safe place to live :-) Feel free to contact me directly if you need advice. We are in Lehi.

Old 07-05-2015, 03:57 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,668,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillami View Post
... I would stay away from Murray as well and don't live in West Valley City. ...
I'm almost getting as sick of posting this as you all are of reading this, but as a proud resident of West Valley City I'm going to have to call you out on this unnecessary comment.

Primarily you're saying that WVC is bad, which statistically speaking it isn't, like, at all. There are more dangerous places in Utah that you could live, but even those aren't exactly bad. Second, you're also making the assumption that the second largest city in the state is all pretty much homogenous and the same. WVC, like SLC, has various neighborhoods that have their own feel and personality to them. Highbury for example is the second largest planned development in the state (after Daybreak) and the largest homes there sell for over half a million while the apartments have rent starting at over $1k. There are fishing ponds, walkable shopping areas and beautiful trails. You can contrast that with some of the older neighborhoods around 35th South and Redwood Road which are... well... not very nice. WVC is big and about as diverse as SLC, so unless you're going to call Yalecrest undesirable because Poplar Grove is, just... no.

Living in WVC as a 20 year old is considerably more desirable than living in Lehi or American Fork (or.. anywhere in Utah County.. unless you grew up there) but that being said he should really try to stick to Salt Lake City, maybe Millcreek or So. SL and if he wants to spend a bit more, Park City would be fun too - but working in Draper, I wouldn't make that commute.

Old 07-05-2015, 08:39 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,973,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
It's in the title of the thread, kaytidid.
Well duh. Been a long weekend

Old 07-07-2015, 08:25 AM

1,286 posts, read 1,482,269 times
KSL.com and Craigslist will have numerous listings for <$900 rent or less.
To find cheap furniture, go to a garage sale, or go to Deseret Industries throughout the Salt Lake valley, known also as "DI".

Old 07-07-2015, 10:28 PM

69 posts, read 77,180 times
I'd say for someone around 20. Sugarhouse area would probably be the area they would want to be around. Draper is a town full of mormon familys. Not nightlife and things a 20 year old would be interested in and momma you need to get your boobie out of your sons mouth and let him grow up he will be just fine. The Salt Lake area is one of the safest places in the country. Not chicago, compton, New York City, etc, etc, etc.

Old 07-10-2015, 07:41 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,033,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorgirlUtah View Post
I'd say for someone around 20. Sugarhouse area would probably be the area they would want to be around. Draper is a town full of mormon familys. Not nightlife and things a 20 year old would be interested in and momma you need to get your boobie out of your sons mouth and let him grow up he will be just fine. The Salt Lake area is one of the safest places in the country. Not chicago, compton, New York City, etc, etc, etc.
This is a misconception, so is NYC. Fewer panhandlers than SLC too. This isn't the '80's any more. My point being that while NYC may be crazy, expensive and many other things, it's actually a very safe place these days. Gotta represent!

But yeah, Sugarhouse. I've been wondering how a 20 year old is a 'child.'

Old 07-10-2015, 09:54 AM

914 posts, read 973,548 times
20 year old an adult, Sugarhouse is definitely the place to be for a young 20 something ! SLC is safe!

Old 07-10-2015, 02:46 PM

762 posts, read 2,118,635 times
While Sugar House would be on my list for a 20 year old, it wouldn't be #1. I think most 20 year olds would rather be downtown or by the University.

Old 07-10-2015, 02:51 PM

85 posts, read 155,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorgirlUtah View Post
momma you need to get your boobie out of your sons mouth and let him grow up he will be just fine.
WOW. Way to acknowledge someone's nervousness about their kid moving out of state!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area