Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 10:43 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,858,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeequeen View Post
there seems to be a ton of shops for a place not exactly far away from lots of other shops?
On the corner of Redwood road and I-73, is a shopping center where Wally World is located.
OK for a quick whatever you need I guess ?

I do not think Saratoga Springs is really isolated !
Just a few minutes to Lehi/

I guess, all depends on what you like *right next to you*.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 06:17 PM

914 posts, read 973,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Yes during commuting hours it is bad and it depends which way you are going.
Off hours it is pretty fast.

And you are also right to NOT compare SLC traffic to LA traffic !!

I agree Irman ,not even close to compare the two,although coming from London and having done LA a week or so ago I didn't find LA that bad either tbh. It does move unlike some of the Motorways in the UK and we managed to land at 815am into LAX, get our bags in 5 minutes, get a shuttle to pick up a car and be on the freeway by 9.15am. We hit no traffic on way to San Diego and even stopped at several beaches on the way down for a swim and rest and for lunch (Laguna beach, Cardiff by the Sea to name just a few) and still made it into San Diego by 3pm! If we had not stopped at the beaches or for lunch we could have made it down to gaslamp in less than 2 hours honestly!

No gridlock the whole 3 days we were in LA either and we travelled at some of the more busy times. Guess we are just used to it !

People said same about San diego and again not terrible

Old 08-17-2015, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montygirl View Post
Guess we are just used to it !
That is the whole key to the *problem* !

Old 08-18-2015, 11:16 AM

17 posts, read 50,346 times
We'd be coming from the Los Angeles "area" (east of LA in Riverside county), so I've got an hour commute in to work in the am (40 miles) and an hour - 1:30 sometimes home on really bad Friday afternoons. Just was hoping to avoid that type of drive again, so I guess depending on where I can snag a job, we'll have to consider where to live!

Thanks for the info everyone!

Old 08-18-2015, 02:37 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,668,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehaute View Post
We'd be coming from the Los Angeles "area" (east of LA in Riverside county), so I've got an hour commute in to work in the am (40 miles) and an hour - 1:30 sometimes home on really bad Friday afternoons. Just was hoping to avoid that type of drive again, so I guess depending on where I can snag a job, we'll have to consider where to live!

Thanks for the info everyone!
Truthfully, Saratoga Springs to SLC would be close to that. According to Google, expect 45-75 minutes in the AM commute and an 45-90 in the PM commute. You could drive it in 40 minutes at the speed limit, but I wouldn't expect to be going the speed limit during rush hour most days. A typical day would probably be 50-60 minutes, but you'll have those occasional 90 minute commutes, living clear out there.

While SLC traffic isn't typically as bad as LA, one thing that people tend to forget is that we really don't have any full-length alternate routes yet. If I-15 has a major closure, Game. Over. The Mountain View Corridor can't finish soon enough.

Old 08-19-2015, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehaute View Post
Just was hoping to avoid that type of drive again, so I guess depending on where I can snag a job, we'll have to consider where to live!
Yep, the best way to do that.
Just like in the LA area, the commuter traffic is often different speeds,
when comparing morning versus evening.

When I was still working, I was lucky to always drive against the traffic.

The Utah Traffic people are trying hard to accommodate traffic density.
One thoroughfare is now regulated by FlexiLane Control.
In the morning, one way has more lanes than in the evening.
A bit chaotic when it started, but it is working today.
They are also doing a lot of lane widening and island removing.
Just to add more lanes.

Not sure if they can keep up with the ever *getting busier every day* situation.

Old 08-19-2015, 09:56 AM

17 posts, read 50,346 times
The flexiLane idea is amazing, they built that on I-15 through San Diego, which is where I grew up. They have four "Fastrak" lanes (toll/carpool) running down the middle and separated from reg traffic lanes by a wall most of the time, with a flexible median in between. There's a special train that can drive down over the median and shift it one lane either side. I've never seen it actually used yet because I think the 4 lanes as is has been enough, but in emergencies like wildfires, which can happen in that area (largest in history of state of CA was in SD in '07), they can allow more cars to move out of the area faster. I wish they'd do that in LA, but it doesn't make much sense now that there's carpool lanes running down the middle of almost every freeway. If they had done the flex idea vs carpool we might be in a whole different ballgame when it comes to traffic.

Old 08-19-2015, 01:24 PM

Just as a piece of trivia knowledge ...
In Europe they have had the FlexiLane system for years !!
One *freeway* (as an example) has three tunnels side by side.
Each one a two laner.
The two outer ones are always the same direction.
The middle tunnel changes direction depending on traffic density.
All this going on at freeway speeds !
Whole barricade walls move!! Amazing to experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area