Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 09:16 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,940,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
The info for Utah State is in what is called the IDEALS study which studies student faiths at universities across the country. (I didn't look it up when somebody referenced it and posted before. When I did look it up it said USU was 70% and not 80% LDS).

The info for U of Utah came from something called the Utah Chronicle. Stated that 61% of the students came from LDS background but many Utah students drop out of the church or are inactive while at the U. So Active Mormons are 36% at the U. It's tough to say that inactive church members aren't still potentially going to return so I basically split the difference and rounded up to 50%

BYU came from multiple sources. I don't think anybody would argue that BYU isn't at 99% church members.

Snow's date came from an article in the SLC Trib.

https://archive.sltrib.com/article.p...77&itype=CMSID
Thanks for the update. Not sure how accurate the numbers are, but they're probably pretty much in the ballpark. Incidentally, BYU's Wiki page puts the percentage of non-Mormons at BYU at 98%. Apparently, there are 44 Muslim students at BYU right now. (Source)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2019, 10:11 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,850,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Incidentally, BYU's Wiki page puts the percentage of non-Mormons at BYU at 98%. Apparently, there are 44 Muslim students at BYU right now. (Source)
Kind of high, or?

This means there are only 2% LDS members at BYU?

Old 07-15-2019, 12:59 PM

746 posts, read 838,184 times
I am currently working on a project up here in Logan. The plant works 24/7. I would have to assume that many of the workers here are LDS and I do know that most of my electricians working for me are (hardest working bunch I have seen anywhere by the way).

Is there some type of exclusion (not sure what word I am looking for) that allows them to work on Sundays?

Old 07-15-2019, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Kind of high, or?

This means there are only 2% LDS members at BYU?
Oops! Okay, reverse those numbers, everybody.

Old 07-15-2019, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRlaura View Post
I am currently working on a project up here in Logan. The plant works 24/7. I would have to assume that many of the workers here are LDS and I do know that most of my electricians working for me are (hardest working bunch I have seen anywhere by the way).

Is there some type of exclusion (not sure what word I am looking for) that allows them to work on Sundays?
Mormons do try to "keep the Sabbath day holy" but there are no hard and fast rules prohibiting us from working on Sundays. Some people's jobs just require it and the Church is pretty understanding of that. I'd say that we would be encouraged to not work Sundays if given the option.

Old 09-06-2019, 12:12 PM

56 posts, read 38,497 times
Default Thank you

This has been a fascinating thread. Makes me want to know much more.

Thank you.

Old 11-05-2019, 08:23 PM

9,368 posts, read 6,969,068 times
7 Mormons killed in Mexico...

https://www.ksl.com/article/46667845...bush-in-mexico

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/05/ameri...der/index.html

Obviously a very sad and infuriating story but I have many questions. I don't mean to start any mud slinging or offend but trying to have an understanding.

It says these people are part of an Fundamentalist LDS offshoot sect that has agricultural communities near the mexican border in Arizona and texas as well as in Mexico. This family had a ranch in La Mora, Sonora and was driving to Arizona to pickup a husband.

1) Why do the FLDS offshoot groups move outside of Utah to remote areas and live in closed off communities?

2) Do they leave the US to escape our laws so they can live a polygamous lifestyle?

3) "Kendra Lee Miller said the community's members descended from Mormon settlers, and that some members are still practicing members of the church.Tiffany Langford, who also lost relatives in the attack, said she was not raised in the LDS church but is now part of it." When they say part of the "church" are they refering to the same LDS church in Utah or the off-shoot?

4) I assume they went to Mexico at some point as the LDS church is very big in Missions and spreading the word?

5) The articles imply this might have been a case of mistaken identity from the cartels but based upon the SUVs/Females/Kids it is clear who they are and appear to have been targeted... Apparently they are part of "large extended family" of the LeBaron family which had previous encounters with the cartels. What other reasons would cause these communities to move to extremely dangerous parts of Mexico?

Old 11-05-2019, 09:44 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,289,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
1) Why do the FLDS offshoot groups move outside of Utah to remote areas and live in closed off communities?

2) Do they leave the US to escape our laws so they can live a polygamous lifestyle?

3) "Kendra Lee Miller said the community's members descended from Mormon settlers, and that some members are still practicing members of the church.Tiffany Langford, who also lost relatives in the attack, said she was not raised in the LDS church but is now part of it." When they say part of the "church" are they refering to the same LDS church in Utah or the off-shoot?

4) I assume they went to Mexico at some point as the LDS church is very big in Missions and spreading the word?

5) The articles imply this might have been a case of mistaken identity from the cartels but based upon the SUVs/Females/Kids it is clear who they are and appear to have been targeted... Apparently they are part of "large extended family" of the LeBaron family which had previous encounters with the cartels. What other reasons would cause these communities to move to extremely dangerous parts of Mexico?
1. The history of these colonies is something like this. Polygamy was openly practiced in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints until 1890. In 1890, President Wilford Woodruff issued the "Woodruff Manifesto" stating that members of the church would no longer practice polygamy. Some individuals within the church didn't agree and formed splinter groups. They wanted a place that they could continue to practice polygamy and they made certain inquiries of the Mexican government. The Mexican government, in essence, told these individuals that while Mexico would never authorize polygamy it would leave the settlers alone as long as they stayed in a remote part of the country and minded their own business. With this understanding some splinter groups left the church and set up colonies in northern Mexico.

2. Yes, see above.

3. They are members of an offshoot of the church. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints not only does not allow polygamy anymore, it will excommunicate members who practice it.

4. No, as I stated above they moved to Mexico so they could establish their own communities, live by themselves, and practice polygamy.

5. They moved there a long time ago. If there was danger, a hundred years ago when they moved to Mexico, it was felt that being able to live their belief system was worth the danger of living in Mexico. The reasons for moving there have been articulated above.

Old 11-08-2019, 08:59 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,775,839 times
More moved there during a 1950s crack down on polygamist fundamentalist Mormons in the US in the 1950s. The articles don't say whether the communities there still practice polygamy or not. It's not relevant to the attack that they suffered.

Old 11-11-2019, 08:54 AM

9,368 posts, read 6,969,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
More moved there during a 1950s crack down on polygamist fundamentalist Mormons in the US in the 1950s. The articles don't say whether the communities there still practice polygamy or not. It's not relevant to the attack that they suffered.
No I'm not linking their faith to the attack but more there motivation for living there. Just being in that area is exposing oneself to extreme risk of these attacks. Not to say that is it deserving but they might as well be living in Iraq or Syria. There must be a really strong reason tying them to the region and not leaving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area