Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Should Be Our 2 Stickies?
keep them as is 0 0%
change to Pictures of UT and Lowdown on Us Mormons 9 69.23%
I don't Care 4 30.77%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 11:16 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times

Advertisements

We can only have 2 stickies per forum. Our current ones are the picture pone (which I want to keep) and the official chat thread. No one much seems to post there, not a very active thread. So, which one do you want?

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 03:31 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,456,089 times
they're both good, but since this is primarily about utah, i'd like to see a comprehensive FAQ about moving to utah stickied.

in the first post of it, there should be a link to katzpur's "lowdown on mormons" thread, intended to steer religion-specific questions there.

that said, i don't think it would be a problem to provide a list of answers to common questions in the FAQ, but it would be katzpur's thread that expounds on those and answers further questions.

my thoughts. aaron.

EDIT: forgot to add something: if we do the FAQ, i think that katzpur's thread should receive a bit of flexibility as far as thread necromancy is concerned, and not ever be closed down simply for being reactivated by a new user after a long dormancy (not that it has been an issue, as katzpur's thread has been active for a long time now).

Old 01-08-2011, 04:30 PM

28,100 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
they're both good, but since this is primarily about utah, i'd like to see a comprehensive FAQ about moving to utah stickied.

in the first post of it, there should be a link to katzpur's "lowdown on mormons" thread, intended to steer religion-specific questions there.

that said, i don't think it would be a problem to provide a list of answers to common questions in the FAQ, but it would be katzpur's thread that expounds on those and answers further questions.
Excellent idea! I was thinking about having a list of FAQs several months ago. I think that a thread of the sort you're mentioning, with a link to the "Lowdown" thread would be the perfect solution.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:54 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,213,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post

my thoughts. aaron.

EDIT: forgot to add something: if we do the FAQ, i think that katzpur's thread should receive a bit of flexibility as far as thread necromancy is concerned, and not ever be closed down simply for being reactivated by a new user after a long dormancy (not that it has been an issue, as katzpur's thread has been active for a long time now).
I like this idea!

Old 01-12-2011, 07:13 PM

I'm just curious as to how we would come up with a list of frequently asked questions. I know people actually do want to know things other than how they can move to Utah but avoid having LDS neighbors, but I'm having a hard time coming up with much. I suppose the weather/seasons/inversion would be one such topic but what are some others?

Old 01-12-2011, 07:47 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,213,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm just curious as to how we would come up with a list of frequently asked questions. I know people actually do want to know things other than how they can move to Utah but avoid having LDS neighbors, but I'm having a hard time coming up with much. I suppose the weather/seasons/inversion would be one such topic but what are some others?
Finding a job before they move here seems to be a common question.

"Should I move to Murray or Sandy" An explanation how we are basically one big suburb.

Crime or safety questions
Mass transit and traffic questions.
“Will I be bored if I don’t have kids”

Old 01-12-2011, 08:42 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
More FAQs:

1. I'm a diehard atheist who likes to go drinking with my buddies every night, going from "happy hour" to "happy hour". I want to move to somewhere around the Provo-Orem area. Will I fit in?

2. I want schools with a low student/ teacher ratio
with the latest computer and laboratory equipment for my children. Is Utah a good place for my family?

3. I have this thing about "Mormons" (I think they are evil people) is it possible for me to move to Utah and be happy?

4. I don't like seeing kids everywhere when I go out to restaurants and to the movies. Will I be happy in suburban Salt Lake County?

5. I am from Nevada where we don't have a sales tax or income tax. Utah is the same right?

6. I don't like living in a state where one political party holds all the offices. Utah isn't that way is it?

7. Is it true that I'll be "blacklisted and shunned" if I move into a neighborhood and tell everyone I'm not LDS?

8. Someone told me you can't go to Walmart in Utah and buy wine and hard liquor. That's a mistake, right?

9. The recession has not affected Utah has it? Isn't it true there are lots of cheap houses and jobs there?

10. Do you think I'll have a problem living in the Salt Lake area with my five pit bulls and my exotic animals?

Sorry, been reading this forum too long and I'm in a sarcastic mood

Old 01-12-2011, 10:48 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
Who will help with writing FAQs? Seems to be the best solution, one of tjhem being a link to Low-down

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 01-12-2011 at 11:07 PM..

Old 01-13-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Who will help with writing FAQs? Seems to be the best solution, one of tjhem being a link to Low-down

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
I think anyone who is interested should be invited to contribute, but since I'm now retired , I have a lot more time on my hands than I used to and would be happy to help compile and organize the results, if you'd like.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
More FAQs:

1. I'm a diehard atheist who likes to go drinking with my buddies every night, going from "happy hour" to "happy hour". I want to move to somewhere around the Provo-Orem area. Will I fit in?

2. I want schools with a low student/ teacher ratio
with the latest computer and laboratory equipment for my children. Is Utah a good place for my family?

3. I have this thing about "Mormons" (I think they are evil people) is it possible for me to move to Utah and be happy?

4. I don't like seeing kids everywhere when I go out to restaurants and to the movies. Will I be happy in suburban Salt Lake County?

5. I am from Nevada where we don't have a sales tax or income tax. Utah is the same right?

6. I don't like living in a state where one political party holds all the offices. Utah isn't that way is it?

7. Is it true that I'll be "blacklisted and shunned" if I move into a neighborhood and tell everyone I'm not LDS?

8. Someone told me you can't go to Walmart in Utah and buy wine and hard liquor. That's a mistake, right?

9. The recession has not affected Utah has it? Isn't it true there are lots of cheap houses and jobs there?

10. Do you think I'll have a problem living in the Salt Lake area with my five pit bulls and my exotic animals?

Sorry, been reading this forum too long and I'm in a sarcastic mood
Boy, you really are on one today, Mark! The sad thing is, I think we've all heard most of the actual variations on your questions, and I'm afraid your sarcasm wasn't that much of an exaggeration. Question number 10 was my favorite, by the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah