Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2017, 02:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,081 times

Advertisements

I just accepted an 8:00 to 5:00 job located in the U of U Healthcare Administration offices on the U of U Campus in Salt Lake City. I live in West Valley City and will need to drop off my child at daycare in the morning, just off Bangerter Highway and 3100 S in West Valley. Since I have to drop off and pick up my child, and also be available to leave work in a hurry if there's an emergency, Trax is out of the question. I've read that Foothill Boulevard is a nightmare during rush hour, and I need to get to Wakara Way which is only accessible via Foothill or Sunnyside Boulevard. I know traffic may not be as bad right now during the summer when school is out, but I know it will escalate again once the U of U is back in session.

My number one goal is to avoid backed-up and bumper to bumper traffic as much as possible due to the stress and danger, even if it means taking a slightly longer route. I have a couple of possibilities in mind. My first thought was to take Bangerter north to California Avenue, then head east on California, which turns into 1300 S. When I got to 1100 E, I'd head north to Sunnyside Avenue, then take Sunnyside heading east and get into the U of U complex through the back route via Arapeen Drive. This way, I could avoid both Foothill and 1300 E, which I have read are both just awful during rush hour. My second contingency route would be to head north on Redwood Road, then head east on Indiana Avenue, which becomes 800 S, which then becomes Sunnyside Avenue.

I'd appreciate if anyone can offer advice as far as the actual commute time from West Valley City to the U of U during morning and evening rush hour (8:00 am/5:00 pm), what routes are most effective, and whether my planned routes above might hit any snares? I need to submit a request ASAP to change my child's drop-off and pick-up scheduled times at the daycare. I don't want to add too much extra time since there's a hefty charge for it, but I don't want to add too little extra time and be late for my new job.

Last edited by BM915; 06-09-2017 at 02:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 04:32 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,807,637 times
Download the free Waze app and let it pick the best route. Seriously, I run it daily when going t work b/c it is very fast on spotting trouble and re-routing me..

Old 06-11-2017, 09:12 AM

163 posts, read 318,218 times
Congrats on the new job!

Under normal conditions, I'd take Hwy 201 and I-80 to get from WVC to Salt Lake. Get off I-80 on 1300 east and head north. The exit may be congested, but you'll only be on 1300 east for a a few blocks. Jog east on 2100 s to 2100 E and head north. 2100 E merges onto Foothill (for just a few blocks) and you can take Sunnyside over to Arapeen.

I'd estimate 25 to 40 minutes for this route. (25 minutes outside of rush hour with favorable traffic). Is this the route you're wanting to avoid? 201 has been under construction, and it's a bit slow right now. Still, I think it's a quicker east-west route than any of the surface roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area