Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 03:20 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,553,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Why not?
Utah County is by most accounts more than 80% LDS. Amongst those under 18, that figure is logically higher due to the propensity for local Latter-day Saint families to have more children and favor public education. Church culture is more conspicuous in Utah County because of the homogeneous demographics and the fact that many people choose to move there to live in that kind of environment. This has been explored quite a bit. Life in Utah County can work well for many people of other faiths who do not mind the influence of church culture. It depends on one's expectations and desires.

Thank you for following Katzpur and I to this thread...

Old 09-14-2018, 09:34 AM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Why not?
Because they would be part of a particularly small minority and it wouldn't be as easy for them to make friends as it would be in Salt Lake City, which is much more religiously diverse.

Old 02-12-2019, 01:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,014 times
Hello,

I know this is major thread resurrection. I’m wondering what the OP decided, Sandy or Draper? How do you feel about your decision? I am now in the same situation and am gearing toward Draper with kids in elementary school and middle school.

Thanks.

Old 02-12-2019, 04:03 PM

24,474 posts, read 26,012,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riboflavin View Post
Hello,

I know this is major thread resurrection. I’m wondering what the OP decided, Sandy or Draper? How do you feel about your decision? I am now in the same situation and am gearing toward Draper with kids in elementary school and middle school.

Thanks.
OP has not responded since 8/23/18 so we don'i know.

Old 02-12-2019, 05:54 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Your kids are going to have a hard time socially going to school in the epicenter of Mormonism. Even active Mormons from outside of Utah complain about how intensely the church takes over the entire life of Mormons in Utah, and there is no more Mormon area in the world than Provo. Public schools are essentially Mormon parochial schools. The kids will all be very, very busy with church activities. They will try to proselytize your kids, and eventually, if your kids don't join in the church activities, they will ignore them.

Sure, if your kids are very outgoing, incredibly socially skilled, they'll be all right anywhere. But this will be the most challenging setting socially that you could put them in, short of dropping them into the middle of an inner city ghetto school.

If your family were to live in SLC, that would be a different story. SLC is now only 50% LDS. Many non-LDS become very involved with their own religious organizations in reaction to the predominant Mormon culture. But the farther from SLC you get, the more intensely LDS the areas become. And it's way too long a commute from SLC to Provo.

Think long and hard about doing this to your kids. Your wife and you will have trouble finding like-minded friends, but it will be nothing compared to the trouble your kids will have, unless they join the Mormon church.
My realtor friend is a storyteller and said a client moved out there and then called saying I have to get my kids out of here. We're coming back. For exactly the reasons you posted.

Old 02-12-2019, 05:55 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
What's insulting? YOU mentioned bullhorns preaching, abortion protests, etc, not the poster. Actually I think the analogy was pretty apt and it's quite clear that many LDS are pretty thin skinned about the questions and challenges that arise about Utah culture. You could substitute Orthodox Jewish, Hindu, or whatever and have very similar concerns, namely the personal impact of being an outsider in a social monoculture. And of that there can be no doubt.
Right.

Old 02-20-2019, 08:55 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
Closed as the OP has not been back and the thread is heading off topic.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area