Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 07:37 PM

246 posts, read 320,798 times

Advertisements

The bowl for Lake Bonneville was surrounding the mountains. The approximate lake surface was at 5100 feet. The GSL surface elevation average is 4200 feet, at this elevation, it’s max depth is 33 feet.

Old 12-23-2018, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Interesting. I never knew that. I somehow imagined the Great Salt Lake to be more like Crater Lake or the Dead Sea, due to its geological history as Lake Bonneville. That is, located inside a bowl-shaped depression or in a rift valley, and therefore deep enough to "swim" (more like float) in the water. But that's just me speculating, and I appreciate the local opinion. Given what people said so far, I suppose it's one of those things that kind of cool to have done, but not so much fun to actually do.

Come to think of it, it's really no different than swimming in Lake Michigan. If you're visiting Chicago, it's a cool bucket list thing. But when you live there, it's pretty meh. The water doesn't properly warm up until August (unless it's an El Niño year), the nicer beaches are crowded, the restrooms are horrendous, and there's often seaweed floating around. Plus, there are better beaches in Indiana Dunes or on the Chain of Lakes, with warmer water and better amenities.

Another thing I now wonder about: if the Great Salt Lake and the Dead Sea have almost the same chemical composition, why is the Great Salt Lake filled with brine shrimp and gnats, while the Dead Sea has nothing living in it? Is it the climate difference? (highland temperate semiarid vs. lowland subtropical arid)
The bowl for Lake Bonneville was surrounding the mountains. The approximate lake surface was at 5100 feet. The GSL surface elevation average is 4200 feet, at this elevation, it’s max depth is 33 feet.

Brine shrimp have an upper limit for salt tolerance. There is a lot of concern that the North arm of the lake is at risk of becoming too salty.

The Dead Sea does have algae, bacteria, and fungi that live in it.

Old 12-23-2018, 07:59 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,783,775 times
The fun part for me about going to the Dead Sea is the spa pools in the hotels, and hiking Masada and Ein Gedi. Yes, we went in the Dead Sea too, and it was a neat experience, but if that's all that was there, once would have been enough. As it is, I'd be happy to go to the Dead Sea for two nights and three days every year, if I could, in order to enjoy the spas, Masada, and Ein Gedi.

Old 12-24-2018, 12:10 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,877,553 times
The replies I've been getting are interesting. It seems like the Salt Lake City locals don't have much affinity for the Great Salt Lake. Why so? It's a unique ecological feature, not found in most parts of the world. It even used to have elegant resorts on its shores. Today, there are none left. What makes people feel so apathetic about it? Is the Lake really that bad? Or is it simple banality because it's right there, like my feelings toward Lake Michigan and its beaches?

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 12-24-2018 at 12:28 AM..

Old 12-24-2018, 01:04 AM

The only resort I know of was Saltaire. Saltaire was originally built in the 1890s and intended to be a wholesome western Coney Island. It burned down and was rebuilt several times and it was flooded out bad in the 80s and sat empty for a long time. It’s been remodeled as a concert venue and has been operating as one since 2005.

It was also a victim of automobiles and the abandonment of smaller towns west of Tooele.

Mostly, the lake stinks, especially on a windy day that stirs up the lake bed. On a really bad day half of Salt Lake, Davis, and Weber Counties will stink. There are tons of spiders and flies. There isn’t any shade. It’s not exactly close to any thing because the shoreline varies so much.

On the other hand, the wetlands around it are quite nice. There is a waterfowl preserve near Farmington and another near Brigham City. Those are both worth a trip if you have the time and you’re in the area.

Old 12-24-2018, 01:46 AM

4,539 posts, read 12,406,148 times
When I was a kid, my family was on a trip through northern Utah, and we stopped off to swim/float in the lake just to do it. The water was kind of choppy, and a wave crashed into my face and my open mouth. I immediately threw up and the vomit went floating away on the top of the water. We didn't stay very long and I don't have a compelling need to go back. Still, I'm glad we went there to do it.

I wouldn't make a special trip to Utah for it, but if you are in Salt Lake City for another reason by all means set aside some time.

Old 12-24-2018, 07:44 AM

3,319 posts, read 1,819,117 times
I thought the Dead Sea experience was WAY overrated.. and it was much easier to justify doing as it's supported by surrounding attractions and not in the middle of nowhere.

I was in GSL in the altogether as a young hippie many years ago to wash off the road dust from a ride home to the East coast on the 'Grey Rabbit' counterculture bus!
I had forgotten it entirely until today.
The bus was a 'trip' ... the lake was a complete bore.

Old 12-24-2018, 08:51 AM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
The replies I've been getting are interesting. It seems like the Salt Lake City locals don't have much affinity for the Great Salt Lake. Why so? It's a unique ecological feature, not found in most parts of the world. It even used to have elegant resorts on its shores. Today, there are none left. What makes people feel so apathetic about it? Is the Lake really that bad? Or is it simple banality because it's right there, like my feelings toward Lake Michigan and its beaches?
I think that, today, most of the draw is to Antelope Island -- and not for the swimming experience. In its own way, the island is really beautiful. The ecology and geography are unique and worth seeing, as are the bison. At some times of the year, the atmosphere out there is really pretty surreal. I took a friend from New York out once at around Thanksgiving and the pictures I got on that visit were incredible.

I am old enough to remember Saltair. Even back then (in the 1950s), it was a really fun place to visit and the roller coaster was the scariest thing on earth. But it burned to the ground -- twice, I think, and efforts to rebuild it never really succeeded. Mother Nature messes with the lake big time. The problem is that the surface area of the lake varies tremendously from one decade to the next. For years at a time, any resort that might be built on the site of the old Saltair could be practically underwater. Then, for several more years, it would end up being a half a mile or more from the lake itself.

There is a lot to do in and around Salt Lake City. If people are here visiting and have the time to go out to Antelope Island, I don't hesitate to suggest it. But I would never suggest a trip to Utah or to Salt Lake City with visiting the lake as the main reason for the trip.

Old 12-24-2018, 09:34 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,877,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I am old enough to remember Saltair. Even back then (in the 1950s), it was a really fun place to visit and the roller coaster was the scariest thing on earth. But it burned to the ground -- twice, I think, and efforts to rebuild it never really succeeded. Mother Nature messes with the lake big time. The problem is that the surface area of the lake varies tremendously from one decade to the next. For years at a time, any resort that might be built on the site of the old Saltair could be practically underwater. Then, for several more years, it would end up being a half a mile or more from the lake itself.

There is a lot to do in and around Salt Lake City. If people are here visiting and have the time to go out to Antelope Island, I don't hesitate to suggest it. But I would never suggest a trip to Utah or to Salt Lake City with visiting the lake as the main reason for the trip.
This is very interesting; I never knew that. I do know that the Dead Sea levels are dropping very quickly, due to water diversion from Jordan River. So the beaches are getting wider and wider. The water drop was mitigated in the southern part by massive dredging and digging, effectively turning it into a set of segmented pools. Some of those pools get used for industrial salt mining, others are for public swimming, and the rest are water reservoirs. The northern part isn't used very much and was left alone; partially because it's in a colder location, and partially because it's in politically unstable territory.

I suppose it's not out of line to do something similar on the Great Salt Lake, be it for recreational, industrial, or both uses. I'm sure those salts could have a good commercial value, like the Dead Sea salts. But I do realize that it's a very low priority for Utah, and that it has many other revenue sources and expenses to go with them. Still, I definitely want to visit the Lake if I ever find myself in Salt Lake City. I just like rare ecological features. So why not this one?

Old 12-24-2018, 01:39 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
I suppose it's not out of line to do something similar on the Great Salt Lake, be it for recreational, industrial, or both uses. I'm sure those salts could have a good commercial value, like the Dead Sea salts. But I do realize that it's a very low priority for Utah, and that it has many other revenue sources and expenses to go with them.
Actually, the salt from the Great Salt Lake is used for a number of purposes. Some of it is pressed into pellets and used in water softeners. Some in formed into salt-lick blocks for livestock consumption. Lots is used locally to melt ice on the roads, and a lot is shipped out of state for commercial uses. It's not used as table salt because of the costs involved in processing it.

Quote:
Still, I definitely want to visit the Lake if I ever find myself in Salt Lake City. I just like rare ecological features. So why not this one?
Going with the background you now have, and not expecting it to be something its not, you'd probably be pleasantly surprised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area