Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2021, 08:34 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,651,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LE2021 View Post
Yeesh, that doesn't sounds good. Even though it's only for a couple months a year, it's something to consider if I'm there over a long period of time. Thanks for the info
Check on this to be sure, as I might be wrong.

And, as someone else mentioned, if you drive east from Salt Lake on I-80 a few miles, you go up Parley's Canyon and you gain elevation. The air gets cleaner and cleaner as you gain altitude. At some point, you're above the air pollution. Once you reach the summit & start to descend towards Park City, it is a different world - the air is clean and clear.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parleys_Canyon

Many people commute from the small communities on the east side of Parley's to Salt Lake City. Interstate 80 is almost always clear, and in the winter when there is even a hint of snow the snow plows are out to keep I-80 clear. I know several Delta Airlines pilots and flight attendants who commute from this area to the SLC Airport - that's an indication of how reliable it is to be able to commute to work on I-80.

The downside of living on the eastern side of Parleys is the price of housing. It is expensive relative to housing in most sections of Salt Lake City and surrounding suburbs. That's one price you pay for cleaner air.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summit_Park,_Utah

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Ranch,_Utah

Last edited by RationalExpectations; 10-08-2021 at 08:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2021, 01:38 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,553,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LE2021 View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm 30 and starting to re-evaluate my life (it's been fun). I'm starting to think about other cities I'd like to move and SLC is on my short-list. From what I understand, it offers the outdoors activities (which are extremely important to me) that CO does but in closer proximity and with less congestion. First question - how close are the surrounding lakes/rivers? I love lake camping and fishing. I also love the forest-feel more than anything so I'd like to have as much of that as possible.

The main things I don't like about LA (that I'd like to avoid in a new city) are:
High cost of living (but I guess any area in UT compared to LA will be better in comparison)
Selfish people/materialism/toxic work environments in sales-type jobs
Smog/traffic
Show-off mentality
Increasingly less-safe and growing homeless population

My main questions -

Being 30 and moving alone I'll obviously have to get a new job and restart my social life. I understand that SLC has a low employment rate and strong job market. How are the jobs that focus more on the social end of the spectrum? My experience is in real estate and I'd like to have a job in which I can transfer my skills and still make enough to support a future family.

On the social life topic: how is it for someone my age? Looking at Denver I like the social/outdoors/brewery/dog-friendly culture they seem to have. How does SLC compare? I've heard there are some quirky rules around alcohol consumption.

How are the schools? I'm not Mormon and don't plan on raising my kids as such. How accepting are the schools/general population in SLC to non-Mormons?

Finally, if I chose to commute and live outside of either main city, what would be the best peripheral cities to look at that might offer a better cost of living and less congestion? I like the ability to get out and meet new people but I'd prefer my home life to be quiet and peaceful and am ok with a bit of commute to work if it gets me more of what I'm looking for.

Thanks for any feedback
Honestly, I don't think that you will like Salt Lake City. I think that you will find Denver, Boise, or elsewhere more your speed. Salt Lake City, while much more cosmopolitan than many people give it credit for or expect, is very culturally unique and can be cliquey. Some of that uniqueness manifests itself in conspicuous consumption and a high local prevalence of get-rich-quick schemes/MLM. If you are into craft breweries, typical single life, and recreational drugs, you are likely to be happier elsewhere. Salt Lake is very outdoorsy, I would say more so than other cities in the general region, but it is still more conservative, buttoned-up, and unique. It is not a place to move to for nightlife.

Old 10-12-2021, 10:55 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,034,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
Honestly, I don't think that you will like Salt Lake City. I think that you will find Denver, Boise, or elsewhere more your speed. Salt Lake City, while much more cosmopolitan than many people give it credit for or expect, is very culturally unique and can be cliquey. Some of that uniqueness manifests itself in conspicuous consumption and a high local prevalence of get-rich-quick schemes/MLM. If you are into craft breweries, typical single life, and recreational drugs, you are likely to be happier elsewhere. Salt Lake is very outdoorsy, I would say more so than other cities in the general region, but it is still more conservative, buttoned-up, and unique. It is not a place to move to for nightlife.
Boise isn't exactly a place young people move for nightlife. It strikes me that the uniqueness you refer to is far more prevalent in the LDS-rich suburbs than SLC itself. SLC does not lack for craft breweries, typical single life, and recreational drugs. And there's the added benefit of outdoor rec opportunities far better & closer than your other suggestions.

Old 10-12-2021, 11:47 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,901,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
Boise isn't exactly a place young people move for nightlife. It strikes me that the uniqueness you refer to is far more prevalent in the LDS-rich suburbs than SLC itself. SLC does not lack for craft breweries, typical single life, and recreational drugs. And there's the added benefit of outdoor rec opportunities far better & closer than your other suggestions.
The cities that someone will move to for nightlife alone are going to be a lot larger than SLC or Boise, but that being said, Boise does have a more vibrant and cohesive downtown nightlife scene than SLC does. The outdoors scene in Boise can be enjoyed right in the city and of course the adjacent outdoors rec opportunities are incredible.

Last edited by Syringaloid; 10-12-2021 at 11:58 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 10-13-2021, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
The craft breweries in Utah are not very good compared to elsewhere. All of the rules regarding the taps results in some very weak beers being on offer. It’s of no consequence to me, but a lot of people I’ve traveled to Utah with have been very disappointed by this.

Old 10-13-2021, 01:38 PM

1,256 posts, read 1,109,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
The craft breweries in Utah are not very good compared to elsewhere. All of the rules regarding the taps results in some very weak beers being on offer. It’s of no consequence to me, but a lot of people I’ve traveled to Utah with have been very disappointed by this.
Utah caved and got rid of the 3.2% alcohol limit on beer recently, so micro brews and especially national breweries don't have to brew Utah unique beers anymore. Boise does have a pretty vibrant downtown nightlife. Take a look at Ticketmaster and see the offerings coming in the next few months, plus the weeklong Treefort Festival each spring. Lots of club, brewery, and bar music too. Plenty of other offerings, from A-Baseball to minor league Hockey, college sports, arts, Saturday markets, and fitness based actives. Things hop downtown because Boise State University is within walking distance of downtown if need be. Not a 420 friendly town, but that is only 60 miles away in Ontario, OR if that's your thing. The local news has said 4 out of 5 cars parked at the dispensaries are Idaho cars. SLC and Utah have certainly improved over the years, and are less draconian with fewer religious based rules. SLC and Boise would be good choices, as well as most of the front range in Colorado. Find some events in some cities and come visit for a week around that event and see what you think.

Old 10-13-2021, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejisme View Post
Utah caved and got rid of the 3.2% alcohol limit on beer recently, so micro brews and especially national breweries don't have to brew Utah unique beers anymore. Boise does have a pretty vibrant downtown nightlife. Take a look at Ticketmaster and see the offerings coming in the next few months, plus the weeklong Treefort Festival each spring. Lots of club, brewery, and bar music too. Plenty of other offerings, from A-Baseball to minor league Hockey, college sports, arts, Saturday markets, and fitness based actives. Things hop downtown because Boise State University is within walking distance of downtown if need be. Not a 420 friendly town, but that is only 60 miles away in Ontario, OR if that's your thing. The local news has said 4 out of 5 cars parked at the dispensaries are Idaho cars. SLC and Utah have certainly improved over the years, and are less draconian with fewer religious based rules. SLC and Boise would be good choices, as well as most of the front range in Colorado. Find some events in some cities and come visit for a week around that event and see what you think.
Nothing over 5% is available for draught. It has to be bottled or canned.

Old 10-13-2021, 09:13 PM

565 posts, read 472,204 times
Minnesota is the only 3.2 beer state left (see Beer and Wine Revenue Act of 1933).

Old 10-31-2021, 10:33 AM

2 posts, read 1,463 times
I used to live in SLC for a few years, I can’t wait to move back eventually. It’s been said that the nightlife isn’t great, I thought it was fine. The downtown population is projected to double in the next 3 years due to all the residential high rises being built which should help the downtown feel more active. SLC and Utah have an incredible economy, often ranked at the top or near it. The outdoor recreation is unmatched. It has big city amenities and pro sports. Light rail and commuter rail, along with better public transportation than most cities.

Last edited by But.home.is.nowhere; 10-31-2021 at 10:43 AM..

Old 11-03-2021, 03:58 PM

2,947 posts, read 5,193,788 times
Does smog from the SLC inversion actually hurt the eyes? Make breathing very difficult at times for some or even most?

Or is it mostly an aesthetic thing, but with few immeduate harmful effects to one's everyday health? Long term health: who really knows, right?

Is the inversion a more recent phenomenon, maybe only the past 30-50 years or so? Maybe due to too much growth and population? Or maybe it would occur even in a sparse population?

Do some runners and golfers decide to not go outside when it's at its worst?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area