Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 06:47 PM

550 posts, read 2,170,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Or :in my humble opinion," PUD=planned unit development, a way to get around the zoning and have more units on the acreage than would be otherwise allowed, so yards are pretty small. And yeah, I think $130/mo for mowing and snow removal is steep.
Yeah, that's what I meant. Humble, not honest; don't know where I got that.

As for staying east of 7th in regard to gangs, I suppose there has been an uptick in graffiti (not bad, just noticeable) in some areas around where my grandmother lives, around 36th South and 9th East. However, she says she hasn't noticed any gang members patrolling the streets or anything, so I think 7th East is still a good general rule of thumb. In Millcreek, 1100 East would be even more specific than 13th. It just depends on how you look at it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 08:10 PM

546 posts, read 2,206,801 times
Quote:
Don't know where the bench is further out in the valley. But more eastern = safer from earthquake damage, or less damage.
I never understood how that works, because when I look at the neighborhood stats at the utahhomes.com, the cowell banker site, each time I click on the stats to a more east side of a house, the stats shows a much higher number like in the 300s, I don't know what the number means, but there's an average red line and the 300s is way above the average line, which is scary. when I look at a house, say at Murray or in the valley, the stats runs to only the 200s, still way above the average line, but means a little lower risk than the east side. I looked at the stats for the houses close to UU, and the stats ran up to 359 something...so how could it be safer to live closer to the mountains on the east side where the fault line is at Wasatch Boulevard? sorry, these are just my research, I could be totally wrong. *smile* Also, it seems like the east side homes are expensive because of the valley view and schools, but as far as the earthquake stats goes, it has the highest risk stats I have seen so far....

Old 09-15-2008, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post
I have a GREAT map that shows exactly where the risk level is "very low" "low" "moderate" and "high" of having severe damage/liquefaction with an earthquake. You can probably get one through the U of U--mine was passed along to me from someone.

If anyone has any question about where the riskier and safer areas are to be, I can look at my map for you!!
from what you see on the map, could you see that the more on the west side, is it safer or riskier, also if I DM you my email address, do you think you could scan that map and email it to me? is that map too huge to scan? if not, I'll just call UU for a copy. many thanks.

Old 09-15-2008, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmejh View Post
In Millcreek, 1100 East would be even more specific than 13th. It just depends on how you look at it.
could you please elaborate on this a bit more, so sorry, not that familiar with the areas still..

Old 09-15-2008, 08:21 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,892,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueimo View Post
I never understood how that works, because when I look at the neighborhood stats at the utahhomes.com, the cowell banker site, each time I click on the stats to a more east side of a house, the stats shows a much higher number like in the 300s, I don't know what the number means, but there's an average red line and the 300s is way above the average line, which is scary. when I look at a house, say at Murray or in the valley, the stats runs to only the 200s, still way above the average line, but means a little lower risk than the east side. I looked at the stats for the houses close to UU, and the stats ran up to 359 something...so how could it be safer to live closer to the mountains on the east side where the fault line is at Wasatch Boulevard? sorry, these are just my research, I could be totally wrong. *smile* Also, it seems like the east side homes are expensive because of the valley view and schools, but as far as the earthquake stats goes, it has the highest risk stats I have seen so far....
I believe this means the risk of having an earthquake occurring right there is greater than on the west side but it means nothing about the damage resulting from an earthquake. The damages will be greater on the west side of the fault line.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 09-15-2008 at 08:21 PM.. Reason: ed for clarity

Old 09-15-2008, 08:21 PM

Default east of 700 East??

if it's better to stay on the east of 700 East, why is Murray such a good city to stay? isn't Murray very close to state street and way more on the west side of 700 East? is it because it's on the south of state street instead of the north of state street? also, south jordan, Sandy, West Jordan are also good places to live too, aren't they on the west side of 700 east too? is there an exception? sorry for all the silly questions for only moving here for 2 months. *smile*

Old 09-15-2008, 08:23 PM

Quote:
I believe this means the risk of having an earthquake occurring right there is greater than on the west side but it means nothing about the damage resulting from an earthquake. The damages will be greater on the west side of the fault line.
m...that makes sense and also due to the gravity, all things will 'roll down' to the lower grounds to the valley to create more damange? I'm just guessing here..

Old 09-15-2008, 08:23 PM

I wrote that was true in the city of Salt Lake, which stops around 2700 South, more or less. The rest are in other cities and I said I knew nothing about the suburbs. Murray, Sandy, both the Jordans, and Draper are their own cities and are not in SLC.

Old 09-15-2008, 08:24 PM

Liquefaction is the danger when you are not on bedrock. The worst damages in CA were caused by liquefaction in the big quake near the Bay.

Old 09-15-2008, 08:30 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,510,498 times
Quote:
This is exactly right according to these maps. The areas which will likely experience the worst damage are not the areas closest to the faults (and there are many faults!). The homes on solid rock are predicted to fare better than those on softer soil. During an earthquake the softer soil is expected to act like quicksand so buildings will topple right over, fall into large holes, etc. On bedrock they will shake, but shouldn't have severe damage. Of course anyone could be driving in any part of town if/when it hits, but anyway, there are certain areas more likely to be highly damaged. Oh, also the earthquake will shake the bedrock areas but will act more like waves on softer soil, so the effects would be felt more that way as well. This is all from modeling done at the U of U as well as experience they have with other earthquakes on different soil types.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area