Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 04:32 PM

124 posts, read 236,863 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I will be moving to SLC in the next three months to work at the SLC VA hospital and I was wondering what are some good places to live (rent), things to do, crime rate, etc?

I know this same question has been asked a ALOT and I have read quite a few of the other forums but I think the reason why it is asked so many times is that no two people's situations are the same and when you are moving to a new city you want to get as much specific and current information as you can. So please be patient with me and thanks in advance for all your help!

Here are a few facts about me that might help:

I am 24yrs old ( I will be 25 in August).
I will be working at the SLC VA hospital in a professional non patient care setting.
Where I live doesn't neccessarily have to be close to my job although that would be a plus. Currently I communte about 20 to 25 minutes to work.
I am non married.
I am not really a go "outter" but when my family and friends come to visit ideally I would like to have a range of places to go, varying from a good restaurant to a good dance club.
My fave types of music are jazz, hip hop, rap, and r &b.
I am of non LDS faith.
I am willing to pay quite a bit more than average to rent in a nicer area. (Where I live now "quite a bit more than avg" would be 800 for a 1bd/1bth and 950 for a 2bd/2bth and I am okay with those price ranges.)

Again thanks so much to being patient with me and I look forward to hearing from you alll!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 04:54 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
Most people from other places think the night life is pretty near non-existant. It does exist, but no to the extent you are probably used to. OTOH, there is a huge amount of outdoor recreation!

Old 06-30-2009, 04:59 PM

Thanks!

Old 06-30-2009, 05:13 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,973,197 times
I would suggest Sugarhouse or in the University area.

Old 06-30-2009, 05:28 PM

Thanks

Old 06-30-2009, 06:16 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,303,039 times
Al,

My suggestion is to look for a rental in a highrise apartment in the area of Salt Lake east of State Street, south of South Temple, and North of 400 South. The University of Utah would be the boundary on the east. I know there are several and if you can afford that high of a monthly rent, I think you can find something.

As others have already said, nightlife in Salt Lake City for someone in their twenties who is used to living out of state is probably going to be disappointing. The local culture caters far more to married people with families. However, if you have a sport that you can use to make friends (particularly an outdoor sport like hiking, skiing, or climbing) it will allow you to develop a decent social life. Perhaps, the VA has groups or a support system for single employees that will be of assistance too.

I'm not really optimistic you'll find alot of the music you mentioned here.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:26 PM

410 posts, read 1,521,599 times
The VA is really nice and needs new blood in there (employee speaking). As far as rents, I pay $800 for a 1 bd.1bath (500 sq ft) on North Temple. Look elsewhere.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:22 PM

28,096 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I'm not really optimistic you'll find alot of the music you mentioned here.
My 29-year-old son DJs downtown and, unless I'm mistaken, likes all of the kinds of music AL mentioned, except for R&B. He's also non-LDS and has lived downtown for several years. I'll be seeing him tomorrow and will try to maybe ask him what he thinks about the "nightlife" in Salt Lake and where he might find places that would cater to his taste in music.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:24 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,437,735 times
Question The BIG QUESTION: UA or AUBURN?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComingfromAL View Post
Hi everyone,

I will be moving to SLC in the next three months to work at the SLC VA hospital and I was wondering what are some good places to live (rent), things to do, crime rate, etc?

I know this same question has been asked a ALOT and I have read quite a few of the other forums but I think the reason why it is asked so many times is that no two people's situations are the same and when you are moving to a new city you want to get as much specific and current information as you can. So please be patient with me and thanks in advance for all your help!

Here are a few facts about me that might help:

I am 24yrs old ( I will be 25 in August).
I will be working at the SLC VA hospital in a professional non patient care setting.
Where I live doesn't neccessarily have to be close to my job although that would be a plus. Currently I communte about 20 to 25 minutes to work.
I am non married.
I am not really a go "outter" but when my family and friends come to visit ideally I would like to have a range of places to go, varying from a good restaurant to a good dance club.
My fave types of music are jazz, hip hop, rap, and r &b.
I am of non LDS faith.
I am willing to pay quite a bit more than average to rent in a nicer area. (Where I live now "quite a bit more than avg" would be 800 for a 1bd/1bth and 950 for a 2bd/2bth and I am okay with those price ranges.)

Again thanks so much to being patient with me and I look forward to hearing from you alll!
Hi,

You may be surprised how many people move from AL to UT. I work with three. Two almost everyday, and one - everyday. You will find UT doesn't eat, drink and breathe college football at the same level. $40 Million is steep for someone like Nick Sabin. That isn't to say I'm not aware of Tommy T. and his resignation this year.

Interestingly, about 3-4 major offensive/defensive coordinators in the SEC all coached/went to school in UT.

So before I offer you any suggestions, let's get the really important question out-of-the way: Did you go to UA or Auburn?

I know what matters in 'BAMA. (Oh, I guess that shows my ties doesn't it?)

MSR

Old 07-01-2009, 12:49 PM

28,096 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Okay, I've talked to my 29-year-old non-LDS son and here's what he told me: Salt Lake City's nightlife is definitely not great by big city standards, but it's not really all that bad if you know where to go. He suggested picking up a City Weekly when you first get into town and checking out the places it recommends. He said that no one place has good entertainment, etc. every night, so you have to know which nights to go to which places. He DJs every Tuesday night at Kristauf's and plays, Jazz, Hip Hop, Soul and Funk. He also recommended Gracie's (which is brand new) and Jackalope. He said that Salt Lake actually gets quite a few more good out-of-town live performances coming through, more than most cities of our size. Hopefully these suggestions will help some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area