Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2010, 11:00 AM

1 posts, read 3,760 times

Advertisements

My husband has been offered a full time job at the Fedex hub in SLC. I am white, he is a light skinned black man. Our children are obviously curly haired & precious. My question is this....The Mormon church just started letting black people in, what 20 years ago? So, will my kids be made to feel bad? Will racial slurs & hatred be an issue for my children? The 1.9% black population is a little scarce. Also, what's wrong with the air? I keep hearing about bad air quality, and my older child has asthma. Would this be a huge issue? Thank you in advance for your respones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 12:00 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,761,220 times
As for race I seriously doubt your kids nor you would experience any issues. As for the air quality, well, there's NO nice way to put it. It's not great. During the winter months we are experiencing longer periods of "inversions" which traps the nasty particulates in the air, which as you will note recently has gone on for a lot longer than anyone would wish. Also frankly the general air quality isn't that great even the rest of the year. It typically is "reasonably" clear but if you are planning on living along the Wasatch Front (Ogden to Provo) it is just not great the majority of the time for air quality. Over towards Park City it's a LOT better, but the cost of living skyrockets as well. Do some homework and it will pay off. I'm not trying to sell you one way or the other. Ironically if given the chance and circumstances I'd be gone in a heartbeat for a cleaner environment. But I'm stuck........just glad to have a job.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:13 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetestemaline View Post
My husband has been offered a full time job at the Fedex hub in SLC. I am white, he is a light skinned black man. Our children are obviously curly haired & precious. My question is this....The Mormon church just started letting black people in, what 20 years ago?
Black people have been members of the LDS Church from the time it was founded in 1830, and congregations have always been integrated. You are thinking of the LDS Priesthood. Black men did hold the priesthood in the early days of the Church. There were many years, however, when they were not permitted to. That changed just a little over 30 years ago. It's a complicated issue, and probably not one to get into in this particular thread.

Quote:
So, will my kids be made to feel bad? Will racial slurs & hatred be an issue for my children? The 1.9% black population is a little scarce.
Your kids will likely be treated just fine. My sister and her husband adopted a half black/half white baby about 15 years ago. They also have an adopted white child. Their mixed-race son has experienced very little in the way of bigotry and racism. I won't say it has never happened, because racism, unfortunately, exists everywhere in the country to some extent. It is seriously not bad here. As far as mixed-raced couples are concerned, my husband's favorite golf buddy is a black man married to a white woman. He was transferred to Salt Lake City years ago from Kansas City, and they have been very happy here.

Quote:
Also, what's wrong with the air? I keep hearing about bad air quality, and my older child has asthma. Would this be a huge issue? Thank you in advance for your respones.
It's the winters that are bad, and yes, they can be horrible. My sister's other son has cystic fibrosis so it's an issue with him, too. The temperature inversions that cause this bad air are an issue about three months out of the year, and most people -- including those with respiratory problems -- somehow manage to deal with it. Someone else may be able to give you better input on this question than I can, though.

Old 01-15-2010, 02:05 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,214,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetestemaline View Post
My husband has been offered a full time job at the Fedex hub in SLC. I am white, he is a light skinned black man. Our children are obviously curly haired & precious. My question is this....The Mormon church just started letting black people in, what 20 years ago? So, will my kids be made to feel bad? Will racial slurs & hatred be an issue for my children? The 1.9% black population is a little scarce. Also, what's wrong with the air? I keep hearing about bad air quality, and my older child has asthma. Would this be a huge issue? Thank you in advance for your respones.

I have noticed a lot of interracial couples and white couples with black kids in my area, I don't think it will be an issue at all. I noticed a lot more racial sensitivity in CA as compared to here. My co-worker just moved here and she has loves it (she is black).

The air was a worry for us also, we have a kid with asthma also. We moved in September and he seems better here than he did in So Cal. We are on what some call the East Bench, up in Daybreak. It doesn’t seem to be as bad here, you do see it in the valley and notice it some but it hasn't been a problem.

September through November was clear as a bell, I love how clean it is most of the time. If your husband doesn’t mind a little drive, check out this side of the Valley.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:48 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
Daybreak is not on the East bench, I think you meant to say in the western part of the valley?

Just don't want to confuse anyone!

Old 01-16-2010, 11:18 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,214,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Daybreak is not on the East bench, I think you meant to say in the western part of the valley?

Just don't want to confuse anyone!

Opps yes, sorry! West bench. Back where I used to live there wasn't much west.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area