Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 03:59 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,732,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexei27 View Post
....ahh the good old days I was a sous Chef for awhile and was in the catering business for about 10 years. I sold out and became a meteorologist
Do you work for the NWS? When I was a kid, I dreamt of becoming a meteorologist. I even had a home weather station and everything. Of course now the Internet gives all that info and more. And of course, I was in Tornado Alley, not the Great Basin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 10:03 AM

242 posts, read 854,395 times
Has your husband looked into any of the resorts for employment? Specifically in the ski resort area. I have a good friend that is a chef and was out here in Park City on a little vacation and from what she gathered from other chefs, they can make a pretty reasonable living.

Old 06-13-2007, 07:37 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,516,820 times
Yup...I work for the NWS. It's a great job. SLC is a great place to be meteorologist because the weather is quite bizarre. Thanks!

Old 10-30-2009, 12:43 PM

3 posts, read 4,916 times
We live on 50k right now. Had read this post before moving to Utah from Ca. Since moving here my husband got a 10% pay decrease due to the economy.Yet we faithfully tithe on earnings before tax ,give somewhat generously to charities, put away monthly for medical expenses and paying our mortgage on a 15 year loan.There was a time we were deeply in debt (90k)but starting thinking and using our money in a biblical way and beside a mortgage,we are debt-free,not fearful of the future and still have fun.Thrift stores,consignment,and prudence with a big helping of gratitude and contentment are keeping us living a lifestyle that resembles double ours.IT ALSO DOESN'T HURT THAT UTAH HAS SUCH LOW TAXES in income,state and property.You can afford not to get into financial trouble here. Just breathe and choose wisely,the nature here is free and so many educational forms of e.ntertainment that are reasonable.May His force be with you.

Old 10-30-2009, 02:30 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,761,220 times
I must be living in another universe. The "Average" family income in the State of Utah is $38,000 a year and it is well known that Utah's wages are BELOW the average. My wife and I combined income is higher than the OP mentioned but we do fine with NO kids, NO car payments (we paid them off) and own a home in Herriman. $60,000 should be fine if you watch your budget, have 2 or less kids and are not extravagant. Otherwise good luck with that.........the reason so many homes are in foreclosure in this area is that couples have way more than 2 kids, have an average income of LESS than $50,000 a year and in many cases the mother doesn't work. School taxes are high and just went higher. So I have no idea where people come up with saying that average incomes are 60k or better, ..........in their dreams............

Old 10-30-2009, 02:36 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,505,520 times
Google cost of living comparison. There are several websites which have you put in your current city/state and the one you are considering. It lets you know how much more/less things cost (breaks it down into multiple categories--electricity, water, etc. etc). This will give you a lot more accurate idea of how various places in the U.S. stack up.

For $60K you're going to have some people say it's plenty and others say it would be tough. It's just an opinion based on someone else's lifestyle or ideas, not on the actual cost of living numbers

Here's one:Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 11-19-2009 at 05:41 AM..

Old 10-30-2009, 06:34 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
And the OP posted over 2 yrs ago.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 10-31-2009, 01:59 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,505,520 times
Still worthwhile thread though. I like when people continue on older threads--many of the questions are the same ones another person will have or has had recently. This way info. can build on the old info. rather than starting from scratch over and over. I read tons of old threads when moving!

Also, the cost comparison calculator I provided above is not a great one I realized. It compares state to state and o course prices vary widely within a state. A better one isModerator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed . Also compares crime and various other things.

Last edited by Yac; 11-19-2009 at 04:54 AM..

Old 10-31-2009, 02:44 PM

427 posts, read 1,305,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
I must be living in another universe. The "Average" family income in the State of Utah is $38,000 a year and it is well known that Utah's wages are BELOW the average. My wife and I combined income is higher than the OP mentioned but we do fine with NO kids, NO car payments (we paid them off) and own a home in Herriman. $60,000 should be fine if you watch your budget, have 2 or less kids and are not extravagant. Otherwise good luck with that.........the reason so many homes are in foreclosure in this area is that couples have way more than 2 kids, have an average income of LESS than $50,000 a year and in many cases the mother doesn't work. School taxes are high and just went higher. So I have no idea where people come up with saying that average incomes are 60k or better, ..........in their dreams............
They're saying the combined average income is 60K. Anyway from the last Census Bureau in 2000 regarding Salt Lake County:

The median income for a household in the county was $48,373, and the median income for a family was $54,470.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:22 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Hey, I live in a pretty house in one of the nicer suburbs with a family and 3 kids on a single income of around 50k, so 60k means living large. you should do just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area