Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 04:48 PM

422 posts, read 757,083 times

Advertisements

HMMM If he was going 24 in a 20 he was still speeding if he was doing 21 in a 20 he's speeding...this guys just pissed because he routinely goes over the speed limit and gets caught....ahh pobresito to bad dumb #### here's a solution that can actually save you 250.00 imagine that....slow down and it's FREEEEEE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 05:05 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,992,062 times
Actually, one of the nicest feature on my new Garmin GPS is its posting of the speed limit on many roads. It is not 100% accurate as many roads get their limits changed (1560 out of Helotes is a prime example), but for the most part it helps remind me to watch my speed.

I am still in the bottom 5% of drivers when it comes to speed. In other words, 95% of traffic passes me on any given day. I don't mind, I have found that slowing down makes driving more relaxing and enjoyable (except for the idiots that risk the lives of everyone with their maniac driving!) and it has also helped increase the gas mileage on all my vehicles. Moreover, I am not worried about the cops and/or speed traps as I am not breaking the law so they don't bother with me!

There is a correlation between those who complain about the police all the time, and those who drive badly. I think most who follow the rules of the road don't have these negative encounters with the local law enforcement agencies, therefore don't need to blame others for their own shortfalls...

Old 09-21-2010, 06:04 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,878,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzrd View Post
Why the hell is it so hard to just obey the law and go the speed limit?
It really isn't that difficult and one can actually enjoy the drive better if they take their time.

Quote:
Why is everything have to be about how "they want to make more money"?
Not everything. Speed traps though are totally about that.

Quote:
Some people need to get over themselves. Go the speed limit like the rest of us lemmings and you won't lose any money. Geez.
The issue of individual speeders is unrelated to speed traps.

One is a public safety issue. The other has nothing to do with public safety and is merely unethical.

I suppose because speeding is also unethical that some are unable to differentiate between the two topics?

Old 09-21-2010, 06:09 PM

948 posts, read 1,842,281 times
It's not up to us to decide to obey ethical laws. They're there...and they need to be followed. If you can't or will not follow them, then you have to pay one way or another. Follow them, and "they" get none of your money. Simple.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:12 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,878,067 times
No one is advocating breaking the law though?

Old 09-21-2010, 06:19 PM

948 posts, read 1,842,281 times
You're right....I took the staunch questioning and alleging of laws to make money by some as a way to excuse driving over the speed limit. I stand by my point that there is nothing to worry about and no money to lose if you simply comply.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:34 PM

122 posts, read 372,706 times
majormadmax, sapphire, dopo and others
I agree that traffic enforcement is lax. "It's the economy"
If SA stepped up the enforcement of traffic control, our budget would be in the black. There are WAY too many offenders on our roads now. It does not matter if they are "transplants" or "relocated" or even our own locals. I see LOTS of New Mexico and Florida plates around lately. Also trucks in the left lane, a "No-No" here in SA. SAPD could rake in BIG bucks for San Antonio, if enforcement were increased. I do see some "traps" set up on 281 south in the afternoons. About half and half, see the Cruiser, on the side clocking or one with somebody pulled over. I want to see one pull over someone who just past me at about 80 to 85 mph. Funny how you see a bunch of brake lights ahead of you when you approach a hill or curve. I love seeing those red and blue LEDs light up knowing they are not coming after me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Sorry, but I disagree on your claim of much enforcement. You may occasionally see the police pull people over here; but it is nowhere near as frequent as it should be considering how people drive in this city!

And I obviously am not the only one who thinks so!

I thought Houston drivers were crazy...

And there have been numerous other threads in this forum concerning the bad drivers here. As a matter of fact, the topic got so prevalent that there was a moratorium on the subject last year by the moderators!

Traffic enforcement is very lax in SA. I am a pretty conservative driver and still have to watch out not for my speed but for the other idiots on the road. One cannot drive on any major road in this city without encountering excess speed, lack of signals, people texting when driving, or other acts of stupidity.

And stricter enforcement would have an impact. Start breaking down on the more serious offenders with heavy fines and points, and they’ll get the message. Start towing the vehicles of those without insurance (as the law requires) and I am also in favor of jail time for those whose continued recklessness endangers others.

But in a city that can’t control its drunk-driving problem, I seriously doubt this issue will be resolved or even addressed anytime in the near future.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:21 AM

410 posts, read 923,799 times
If I could snap my fingers, I'd bring these Schertz officers to monitor all the craziness on some of SA's roadways. Wishful thinking I know lol. I agree with previous folks, abide by the posted limits, it's much safer and no out-of-pocket costs!

Old 09-22-2010, 07:32 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jksa09 View Post
If SA stepped up the enforcement of traffic control, our budget would be in the black.
Speed cameras on 1604 and 410 and speeding tickets by mail would make SA one of the richest local governments in the state. Of course, the elected officials who put them there wouldn't have to worry about the next election, since they'd almost certainly be trounced.

The folks who complain about speeding are vocal, but there are not enough of them to support speed cameras, which is the only 90%+ effective measure at reducing it on the roadways. I've seen 'em in action. They worked so well in the place I'm thinking of that they galvanized the opposition into running for office to get them removed.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:15 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,030,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Jeez, how many anti-cop threads are we going to have? If there is anything, SA needs more traffic enforcement, not less! People drive like idiots around here and I for one would welcome more police cars on the road citing them.

You see, I've found a great tactic for not getting tickets...obey the law! And that's whether I agree with it or not! For example, the law says I can't walk around with an openly displayed firearm despite the fact that the Constitution gives me the right to, so I don't. Easy enough! And if I am so compelled, I will go through through the proper channels to change the law. It's happened throughout our history, so it's possible; but sitting around whining about it accomplishes nothing!

As for Duane and his "black box," what a waste of money! He has no proof that it is calibrated and/or operating correctly; but he is right in his advice that slowing down is a better idea. Maybe he needs to follow his own advice!
There will be anti-law enforcement threads as long as law enforcement engages in inappropriate behavior and harasses citizens for driving normally. I, for one, believe that the city of San Antonio has had an excellent track record of having very appropriate speed limits for the conditions and uses of the road, everywhere in city limits! Which is why it is such a shock to drive through some of the podunk municipalities: their speed limits are completely inappropriate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhradio View Post
Yeah, I have also discovered this rather innovative way of avoiding getting tickets: DON'T SPEED. So far, it's worked for me -- the last ticket I received was back in 1990, since then I've driven well over half a million miles, too. Funny how such a tiny little thing like obeying the law can work so well.

It doesn't matter if you "think" or "believe" that the speed limit should be higher for the conditions -- the law is the law is the law, *period*. As individuals we don't get to pick and choose which laws we want to follow and which ones we think are incorrect.
This is very true, but the law has to be PROPER and CORRECT, not arbitrary. Imagine that the speed limit on IH-10 by Huebner Rd. was 20 mph. (Ignore the fact that this is the ACTUAL average speed during rush hour sometimes) Do you believe that is appropriate? It's the same situation with having low speed limits on secondary roads: it is WRONG. Speed limits have to be appropriate for conditions and design, and the average driver of average intellect and average ability should be able to correctly reason the appropriate speed for the road at first glance. If a certain road in a certain municipality is getting a FAR higher than average number of traffic citations for its traffic rate, the road should get legitimately checked out.

I am not advocating driving in whatever manner you wish, I am merely advocating driving APPROPRIATELY and having the speed limits reflect that. Is that so much to ask for?

Quote:
Wow....just.....wow. How do you get through life thinking everyone is out to get you?

Obviously, I don't, since you made the extremely misleading act of quoting me only partially, whereas I have quoted you in FULL here. No one is "out to get me." I am merely saying that it is obvious that some municipalities make it easier for themselves to issue traffic citations, and that is blatantly wrong. No one should have to actively slow down to drive the speed limit when it is too low. Everyone should drive the APPROPRIATE speed on a road for its design and for its conditions, and driving too slow for the conditions is completely inappropriate unless there is a fully legitimate reason such as towing something heavy or having the vehicle be less-than-fully-functional in an emergency situation.

Quote:
Why the hell is it so hard to just obey the law and go the speed limit? Why is everything have to be about how "they want to make more money"? Some people need to get over themselves. Go the speed limit like the rest of us lemmings and you won't lose any money. Geez.
You just don't get it, do you? I'm not a maniac going 120 mph all over the city whenever I want, however I want. I am a reasonable, prudent driver with good driving skills who recognizes what is the appropriate manner to drive on a road at first glance, based on road design and traffic conditions. It is UNREASONABLE for me to cited for "speeding" when, in fact, I am NOT speeding, but driving at appropriate speeds in an unfamiliar road that I do not realize has an inappropriate speed limit. This is simply WRONG. Speed limits should be appropriate for the design and conditions. Is that so much to ask? Really?

Quote:
You're right....I took the staunch questioning and alleging of laws to make money by some as a way to excuse driving over the speed limit. I stand by my point that there is nothing to worry about and no money to lose if you simply comply.
I guarantee that most speed limits in Bexar County are completely appropriate and I have no problem abiding by them. This is NOT an excuse to have inappropriate speed limits on even half a percentage point of the miles in Bexar County. Speed limits should be appropriate EVERYWHERE!!

Like I said, you can't have a 30-mph speed limit on a highway. You also can't have a speed limit on a secondary road that is too low for what you could safely drive it at. It is inappropriate. Drivers should NOT have to actively slow down to an artificially low speed limit. It's simply unacceptable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Speed cameras on 1604 and 410 and speeding tickets by mail would make SA one of the richest local governments in the state. Of course, the elected officials who put them there wouldn't have to worry about the next election, since they'd almost certainly be trounced.

The folks who complain about speeding are vocal, but there are not enough of them to support speed cameras, which is the only 90%+ effective measure at reducing it on the roadways. I've seen 'em in action. They worked so well in the place I'm thinking of that they galvanized the opposition into running for office to get them removed.
There certainly are infinitely better
__________________________________________________ _____

Again, everyone, I am not advocating breaking any laws or doing anything of the sort. I am not anti-law enforcement. I am anti-inappropriate law enforcement, or having law enforcement accuse me of something I did not do.

I am advocating having appropriate laws on the books. Just because a law is a law does NOT make it right. Women and African-Americans were one day not allowed to vote. It was the LAW. Does that make it right?

The same goes for CERTAIN speed limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio