Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 08:58 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,032,904 times

Advertisements

What do you guys think of this?

Schertz man uses "black box" technology to fight speeding tickets | kens5.com | San Antonio News, Local News, Breaking News, Weather | Joe Conger
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 09:10 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,040,309 times
Even Davis admits the real solution could be to slow down a little.

That's what I think.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:17 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,840,234 times
Default Speeders that twist

And tell me.....is it possible to "spoof" his system? What 3rd party independently verified the accuracy of HIS system, and what are its' limitations of accuracy?

Sorry....I don't put much faith in his claims.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:57 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,197,554 times
I don't know but that looked like a Lidar gun (Laser) that policeman was using. Harder to avoid than Ka radar. It's a battle between technologies. Lidar vs. GPS.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:02 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,781,863 times
Nothing in the news article directly implies that the officer himself is lying but maybe his radar gun is off? I know the chief claims that an outside party calibrates them, but maybe they need to be checked again?

Schertz PD does have a reputation for being aggressive with handing out tickets like any other small town PD connected to San Antonio. (Leon Valley, Balcones Heights, etc).

The black box itself isn't going to have much weight in court as evidence.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:20 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,878,989 times
If the radar is routinely reading wrong and causing people to pay greater fines that is a problem.

I know at other times officer's eyeball the speed when the ticket indicates they did not use a radar gun but 'paced' you.

The technology of the unit in question seems pretty solid and according to a wired.com article from last year it is also used by law enforcement agencies themselves. I do know that several companies in town utilize similar technology to keep tabs on their company owned vehicles.

“Black Box” Technology Comes to Cars | Autopia | Wired.com

The application of such an instrument will prove more interesting not in attempting to get off from a ticket but rather in uncovering unethical practices of some of the shadier PDs.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Even Davis admits the real solution could be to slow down a little.

That's what I think.
This is valid, but not always. Very often, someone is driving the correct speed for the road and conditions, but the speed limit is artificially low for the purposes of revenue generation. This is WRONG. Speed limits should be appropriate for the road for maximum safety.

Driving too slow can be as dangerous as driving too fast.

Sometimes I wish they could just replace all traffic cops with fully impartial robots. But even those robots can be manipulated. Such a sad part of life.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:34 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,840,234 times
Sorry, Soviet - but the speed limits are set by the city and/or state. Whether you personally agree with them or not, they are what they are. Try obeying the posted speed limit - it's cheaper!

Old 09-20-2010, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Sorry, Soviet - but the speed limits are set by the city and/or state. Whether you personally agree with them or not, they are what they are. Try obeying the posted speed limit - it's cheaper!
What if the speed limit's too low for the conditions and design of the road, as on Lockhill-Selma within Shavano Park city limits? It's 35 there, you get out, and it immediately becomes 45. Anything wrong there, friend-o?

Someone driving through for the first time is unfamiliar with the location and is driving as safely as possible, from their point of view. If the speed limit is lower than it should be, then they WILL get caught, especially if it's a speed trap town. And you can argue that they deserved to be caught because they didn't see the speed limit sign. Well, when you're in a new place and you're completely unfamiliar with it, odds are you'll be looking at the ROAD to make sure everything is fine rather than the side of the road.

All I'm asking for is fairness and proper speed limits on all roads, for the right reasons. That's all. Is that so much to ask?

I really think that speed limits should be set by traffic engineers rather than municipalities. It should be an impartial, honest assessment and decision.

That's the way life should be. Anything else is despicable and unfair, gives too much leeway for interpretation, which there SHOULD NOT BE. It opens the door up for abuse.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:53 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,713,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
The application of such an instrument will prove more interesting not in attempting to get off from a ticket but rather in uncovering unethical practices of some of the shadier PDs.
I CERTAINLY AGREE.....and maybe not only that particular instrument either as the years pass, I daresay.......

"No One In 1776 Anticipated The Computer Age." -Dr. Elton B. McNeil
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio