Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 07:16 AM

993 posts, read 2,492,173 times

Advertisements

I have seen this a few times. People get on a entrance ramp with their turn signal on like they are going to enter the interstate, but they see that traffic is backed up, so they stay on the ramp and exit to stay on the frontage road.

Why don't they just stay on the frontage road if they are not going to enter the interstate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 10:06 AM

291 posts, read 608,305 times
I believe it is the inconsistently in speed that causes accidents. When the flow of traffic is going one speed, and multiple people have to change lanes, this causes situations which increase the likely hood of accidents. ...don’t forget texting and cell phone usage..and the always lovable wait till the last minute to change lanes across the whole freeway to exit.

Old 10-06-2010, 11:49 AM

4,271 posts, read 8,179,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apal View Post
I believe it is the inconsistently in speed that causes accidents. When the flow of traffic is going one speed, and multiple people have to change lanes, this causes situations which increase the likely hood of accidents. ...don’t forget texting and cell phone usage..and the always lovable wait till the last minute to change lanes across the whole freeway to exit.
Agreed. Since I have moved here from Hampton Roads, VA 2 years ago, the # 1 problem I see with Traffic here is the different speeds people are going. On 410, you have half the people doing 60, 25% doing 50, 10% doing 65, 5% doing 40 (usually in the left lane) and 10% doing 80.... Its a bad mix

Old 10-06-2010, 03:48 PM

21 posts, read 60,544 times
I have seen some bad driving habits throughout San Antonio, much of it boiling down to inattentiveness while driving, such as changing lanes without looking, picking up speed to match the driver passing (this happened to me today and then the person blew their horn when I indicated, yes I used my turn signal, that I needed to change lane. However, some of these habits have to be taught. I have several people at work that insists that they can drive in the left lane on an expressway and it is legal, even when the law is explained to them, they do not believe it.

But, I raised the question about driving below that speed limit on Bandera Road and in the NW corner of San Antonio, because I have never seen this type of behavior before. I know someone mentioned that driving through Leon Valley even a mile over the speed limit will get you a ticket, but I had the chance to speek to a Leon Valley Police Officer and this is false. Driving 5 mph over the speed limit will get you pulled over but anything below that is not worth their time because it will be dismissed in court.

Now, I was told by an older lady in the grocery store one that she had "more time, than money" could that be the attitude of most San Antonians, so they have no problem spending alot of extra time in the car?

Last edited by dtom; 10-06-2010 at 03:51 PM.. Reason: Hit enter to soon

Old 10-06-2010, 05:13 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,051,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtom View Post
Now, I was told by an older lady in the grocery store one that she had "more time, than money" could that be the attitude of most San Antonians, so they have no problem spending alot of extra time in the car?
Where else would they put on their makeup, do their nails, eat lunch and make their business calls?

Old 10-06-2010, 07:07 PM

18,132 posts, read 25,308,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtom View Post
I have seen some bad driving habits throughout San Antonio, much of it boiling down to inattentiveness while driving, such as changing lanes without looking, picking up speed to match the driver passing
That's nothing,
I was in the middle lane of 410 or I-35, I was going to get on the right lane because my exit was about a mile. I didn't have to use my blinkers, but I did to be polite.
The moment I put my blinkers on, this sob speeded up and blocked me from getting on the right lane.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:21 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,051,095 times
One time I saw a group of people excessively speeding in a pick'm'up truck with a grill in the bed of the truck and some guy stood up to flip whatever it was he was cooking. They were hauling butt on 410 towards the airport. Weirdest thing I've seen within city limits and I won't tell you what I have seen outside of the limits because it's sacred stompin' grounds.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:24 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,128,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
One time I saw a group of people excessively speeding in a pick'm'up truck with a grill in the bed of the truck and some guy stood up to flip whatever it was he was cooking.
Whoa!
They were heading somewhere to pickup the missus and she was cranky, hungry and needed a bite to eat ASAP! Wow!

Old 10-06-2010, 08:23 PM

92 posts, read 166,684 times
"It's a San Antonio thing, people are notorious for driving incredibly slow."

sure would like to know what part that is because I drive 5-10 miles over the limit on 35 & 410 daily on the north side and i'm still honked at "waved" at tailgated....

Old 10-06-2010, 08:35 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,035,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
One time I saw a group of people excessively speeding in a pick'm'up truck with a grill in the bed of the truck and some guy stood up to flip whatever it was he was cooking. They were hauling butt on 410 towards the airport. Weirdest thing I've seen within city limits and I won't tell you what I have seen outside of the limits because it's sacred stompin' grounds.
That......SOUNDS SO AWESOME!!!!!!

Wow, I would have LOVED to see that, haha!

P.S. http://money.cnn.com/2010/10/06/news...n_bin&hpt=Sbin City budgets are getting less money from property taxes, so hopefully they will cut down on the police force dedicated to traffic enforcement and they will run fewer speed traps! YAY! Or....to make up the budget shortfall, they will make MORE speed traps.

Disgusting! Urgh.

Last edited by Soviet; 10-06-2010 at 08:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio