Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 05:26 PM

734 posts, read 3,015,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexHwyMan View Post
I'm going to assume you mean the I-10/410 interchange, since the 281/410 interchange has been built in record time. Unless, of course, you're referring to the fact that it wasn't built in the first place. (There's a long story behind that, which I have on my site. DM me if you want the link.)

As for Phoenix, remember that they didn't have much of a freeway system at all until about a decade or so ago, when they passed a sales tax to build themselves an actual freeway network. A dedicated local tax helps to get things done faster than waiting on state or federal resources.
I was referring to the 281/410 and actually getting it done before it became a major problem. I was dumbfounded when I moved here that I had to drive 2 miles on a road with stoplights to get to the freeway I wanted. (I learned the short cuts - jones maltsberger, airport etc.)

I have no problem with the taxes if they will really work!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 01:43 PM

Well Evan's and Bulverde is just booming now, that CVS looks really close to being done. China Stix is open, and pretty good I might add. There is also the center at Stone Oak and Bulverde that is nearly done. I see no signs of what is going to be added there, and wonder how long it will take to fill them. There are those strip malls down on Wilderness Oak and Blanco that have been empty for at least a year, besides a cleaner, insurance and Dominoes. Makes you think what the developers are thinking when they build them and don't have future tenants. I'm sure some of them are going to crash here soon, there seems to be too many. There is the other center being started behind the bank on Evan's, just west of Bulverde too.

And - along all these lines - did you see that they are now having a Pizza Hut going to go in South of Evan's on Bulverde, just opposite Cool Beans? Bulverde is going to be just filled with mini-malls all the way up!

Also looks like Bulverde Rd. expansion will be done soon, they have done the widening and are laying gravel now. I bet asphalt will be next week.

Old 07-12-2008, 08:19 PM

2,027 posts, read 7,025,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle_Mom View Post
Well Evan's and Bulverde is just booming now, that CVS looks really close to being done. China Stix is open, and pretty good I might add. There is also the center at Stone Oak and Bulverde that is nearly done. I see no signs of what is going to be added there, and wonder how long it will take to fill them. There are those strip malls down on Wilderness Oak and Blanco that have been empty for at least a year, besides a cleaner, insurance and Dominoes. Makes you think what the developers are thinking when they build them and don't have future tenants. I'm sure some of them are going to crash here soon, there seems to be too many. There is the other center being started behind the bank on Evan's, just west of Bulverde too.

And - along all these lines - did you see that they are now having a Pizza Hut going to go in South of Evan's on Bulverde, just opposite Cool Beans? Bulverde is going to be just filled with mini-malls all the way up!

Also looks like Bulverde Rd. expansion will be done soon, they have done the widening and are laying gravel now. I bet asphalt will be next week.
This is so disappointing! I had high hopes for this area. They could at least build mid-rise mixed-use facilities. Mini-malls and strip centers are out of style and it's a good thing. They aren't very attractive and create a need for several large parking lots across the area. If they'd build master-planned retail with office or residential space in the floors above it'd not only look nicer but it would be better for the environment. If your going to build urban sprawl at least do it right, lol.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
This is so disappointing! I had high hopes for this area. They could at least build mid-rise mixed-use facilities. Mini-malls and strip centers are out of style and it's a good thing. They aren't very attractive and create a need for several large parking lots across the area. If they'd build master-planned retail with office or residential space in the floors above it'd not only look nicer but it would be better for the environment. If your going to build urban sprawl at least do it right, lol.
The thing that bothers me the most is how un-cohesive it is (is that a word?) Like the Vet and the dentist is a nice looking center (albeit severely lacking in parking spaces) and then right next door is the one with Liquor World and Cool Beans - totally a different color and style. Then they put a big blocker up so you can't drive from one to the next. I was done with the Vet one day and wanted a Latte, but it was too difficult to get to Cool Beans, so I changed my mind! Then now they are putting in just a little two-front center south of Cool Beans with Pizza Hut and a TBD occupant. I'm sure those people who are in the green houses right near there will sell and those will get torn down for, MORE STRIP MALLS!

I am happy when I get things like a good Chinese restaurant near by, but this seems unplanned and excessive.

Old 07-13-2008, 11:35 AM

418 posts, read 1,240,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle_Mom View Post

That is very good news. Thanks for the post. I take it they wanted to finish before the school opened.

Old 09-30-2008, 01:13 PM

1,439 posts, read 3,884,167 times
Default Evans/Bulverde

Does anyone know what they are clearing the land for next to the new Chase bank? And does anyone know what shops are going in by the new CVS? Thanks!

Old 09-30-2008, 04:03 PM

According to the Dominion Advisory Group page there are only 4 leased - but these are what they are:

La Mitla Mexican Restaurant
ReMax
Shakes Frozen Custard (OH NO! This is such a bad idea!)
Salon Alcala

Property Detail
Click on Marketing Brochure.

Next to Chase - I have no idea, but it sure is slow going. Once upon a time there was a sign that said "Coming Spring 2006!"

EDIT: Here's our old thread discussing this area

Old 09-30-2008, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traficdogn View Post
That is very good news. Thanks for the post. I take it they wanted to finish before the school opened.
And I was wrong.... the road still isn't 4 lanes yet. They are closing next week at night to 1 lane, so i assume that is when it will get done. *crosses fingers*

Old 09-30-2008, 04:19 PM

Found this! There is a rendering of a potential center - looks like the land is for sale?

LoopNet - Evans Road, Retail (land), 3500 Evans Road, San Antonio, TX

Right next to Chase will be a Mini-Storage place though.

Finding more... this is fun

According to this site - there are plans for the center and there are 3 places leased already. But the loopnet page said the land was for sale. Interesting.

http://www.birnbaumproperty.com/?act=all

They say there will be a Pilgrim Cleaners, Liquor Store and a Double Daves.

Last edited by Turtle_Mom; 09-30-2008 at 04:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio