Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 11:44 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
Every time something gets "regulated", it's MORE taxes out of your pocket. Not less.
It's the other way around,
as a country, we need to stop subsidizing (our tax money) High-fructose corn syrup.

The Enemy is in Your Food: High Fructose Corn Syrup - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 01:04 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,793,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
It's the other way around,
as a country, we need to stop subsidizing (our tax money) High-fructose corn syrup.

The Enemy is in Your Food: High Fructose Corn Syrup - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com
Wouldn't that subsidy be a form of regulation? It's done by the government just like any other regulation, as opposed to the free market charting the course.

Old 11-09-2010, 03:08 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,427,991 times
Quote:
The saddest thing is that they get to the point that they can't work and then we have to pay for their junk food while they spend 1/2 of the day in McDonalds and 1/2 of the day showing their "beauty" in their front porch.
Yes. I'm sure there's an epidemic of people too fat to work.

Brilliant.

Old 11-09-2010, 03:57 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,555,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
edit: SWEET my wife and I are getting ready to move to the #1 city on the list (resident). I'll have to forward this to her...

How in the WORLD did THAT city end up at #1???!!!!! Some of the FUGLIEST people I've ever seen live there!!! Seriously ~ missing teeth, overalls with no shirts and huge bellies sticking out, hair that looks like it's been cut with a weed whacker. YUK!!!! <shudders-at-the-memory!>

That ranking right there shows how terribly flawed the list is.

Old 11-09-2010, 04:03 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
Yes. I'm sure there's an epidemic of people too fat to work.

Brilliant.
Just take a drive around town

Old 11-09-2010, 05:21 PM

51 posts, read 92,971 times
Yay! Another meaningless list to get worked up over.

Old 11-09-2010, 06:13 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,427,991 times
Quote:
Just take a drive around town
Yes. Fat out of work people everywhere! I see them! All fat. And out of work because they're fat.

Or not.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:30 PM

262 posts, read 433,537 times
Well, there's a lot of money to be made from obese people and associated diseases, so I'm sure that the trend will continue. Healthy people don't bring in the cash--and it's all about the money. Everything is about the money.

Old 11-10-2010, 01:49 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,477,106 times
I don't see that either. I see a lot of fat people, but hardly any who are too fat to work. The ones who are too fat to work are usually close to the retirement age anyway.

Old 11-10-2010, 02:56 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,877,109 times
Well the issue might not simply be unhealthy eating habits leading into the unemployment line.

The fact though is and will remain that unhealthy eating habits will produce higher health costs, people can still work, but will still require higher health costs. Also there are early deaths so this is when it becomes most unacceptable not just in economic terms but the human toll as well.

Truth is many overweight people, even full blown obese, can be very productive and not lazy. They might still require higher health costs in the end, that should not be ignored, but in all fairness big people can get things done, do, and in San Antonio there are many who do get promoted for putting in the effort in a variety of fields.

We should not allow food that can act like an addictive drug and that produce detrimental effects to remain unregulated. SF has banned toys in happy meals if they are going to remain unhealthy. This is one step in the right direction. Changing the culture can be done in a variety of ways and we need to go at it with all the tools in the tool box and not just those that protect Mickey D's and company and expect people to make the right choice on their own. They need to change the way they do business. They are the equivalent of drug dealers but on a corporate level.

We ban things like lead paint and this is no different. We need to step up in the war against unhealthy eating habits. Perhaps a system where those who wish to eat as they wish can sign a waiver so that they will not receive health care? I don't know, that sounds a bit harsh, but these costs are going to skyrocket if nothing is done.

Dopo also had a point about HFCs. I try to avoid them as much as possible when I began looking at labels and seeing so much of what we consume is all the same, it all has HFC in it, that just does not seem right to be eating so much of the same thing even if it is painted and coated to appear like a different product. The government can from the top up quit subsidizing this and find a way to deliver a more varied diet. It is fact that farmers are payed not to grow other crops and over payed to keep growing corn for HFC. Those with the argument that the government should not get involved do not realize they already are involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio