Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 10:21 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,878,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meisha210 View Post
I think the drug dealers in the area live in the area. I don't know which side of town they moved from, but they're more than likely from San Antonio. Either that or the young adults in that area just all of a sudden started going in a different direction from their parents.
It could very well be slangers and not bangers since it happened at 4:30 AM and the men were in their 20's. Most gang members causing trouble are in their teens, the older ones won't usually be messing around, and if so it is much more targeted at certain houses or spots and not just finding people to attack at random locations. It has the markings of a drug deal gone bad: neutral location not at anyone's residence, vehicle was in the area long enough to be spotted and reported, and their was drugs found in the suspect vehicle though they did not state if it was a large volume or not.

The penalty for drug or gun violence near or on school grounds is going to be extreme.

Sadly society can take steps to decrease drug violence, the war on drug fails, so much could be changed, all their lives are redeemable. Too many have left that life of drugs and have gone on to become productive citizens for anyone to accurately claim otherwise regardless of suburban opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 11:22 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,701,644 times
Here is the updated version of the story. 3 have been sent to jail.

Man shot to death at elementary school

Quote:
Police said the men had arranged to meet at the school so the victim could buy marijuana from the suspected shooters. North East Independent School District Chief George Castañeda said the men had broken a small lock to get into the playground, which is bordered by a chain-link fence.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:03 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,478,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
It could very well be slangers and not bangers since it happened at 4:30 AM and the men were in their 20's. Most gang members causing trouble are in their teens, the older ones won't usually be messing around, and if so it is much more targeted at certain houses or spots and not just finding people to attack at random locations. It has the markings of a drug deal gone bad: neutral location not at anyone's residence, vehicle was in the area long enough to be spotted and reported, and their was drugs found in the suspect vehicle though they did not state if it was a large volume or not.

The penalty for drug or gun violence near or on school grounds is going to be extreme.

Sadly society can take steps to decrease drug violence, the war on drug fails, so much could be changed, all their lives are redeemable. Too many have left that life of drugs and have gone on to become productive citizens for anyone to accurately claim otherwise regardless of suburban opinions.
These men passed the point of being non-violent drug offenders to being murderers.

Old 11-18-2010, 03:54 AM

On the other hand one of the men is now a victim of murder. Someone who could have been saved.

Unfortunately not many care about that angle or care about saving certain people. I do.

He made his own choices, sure, but society created the conditions, a fact some will continue to ignore or fail to grasp.

Over what? A drug that first became illegal by scare tactics of claiming a certain race was using it and going out to act wild and even rape women? That is what was implied and to a degree it is still largely painted as a minority problem that some in the majority could care less about.

Quote:
“Marihuana influences Negroes to look at white people in the eye, step on white men’s shadows and look at a white woman twice.”

-as printed in Hearst newspapers nationwide
http://quotes.liberty-tree.ca/

A drug that seems tamer than alcohol in retrospect. A drug that could be regulated and taxed which would eliminate much of the drug violence not just in this country but our neighboring country too?

That is not important though, right? Simply feeling smug because one is dead and the other is going to jail seems to be an opinion, not one I hold, but others do. They can care less about our communities (ours as in mine because maybe you don't feel you belong to them) and use this as another reinforcement for their quite-old-steeped-in-history opinion.

Last edited by Merovee; 11-18-2010 at 04:04 AM..

Old 11-18-2010, 04:13 AM

I grew up poor and in a bad neighborhood. I didn't grow up in the best home. I chose not to be a criminal. I, too, think that the drug war has done more harm than good; but a murderer is a murderer.

You know, you say all kinds of things accusing people of being stuck up or stereotyping. But you fit that description when you talk about the way people dress and how it makes you feel "uncomfortable." You also talked about how you don't feel safe riding the bus. I'm not afraid of my own people. Guys wearing baggy clothes don't make me cross over to the other side of the street and those who can't afford a car or are homeless don't make me feel too scared to ride the bus. Maybe you need to take a look in the mirror because you're judging people just by the way they look.

Old 11-18-2010, 04:17 AM

And a victim of murder is still a victim of murder.

It is, I agree, easier for many to just point fingers at the murderers but not care and ignore the plight of the murdered. So easy to grow up in these places but leave, mentally, physically, and not look back or care about them. The murder rate will drop.

The internet is now taking hold, that is the ideas of people are now taking hold and reaching out to others, while the indie music station in town (KRTU) will at times give messages about eating well, decreasing stress in your life, and other positive messages, we know that 98.5 The Beat has corporate messages and ads that lead to unhealthy lifestyles. So some people are in tune with others and building a better world and some others are in tune with what Rupert Murdoch or Univision wants them to buy into. When that station declines so will much of the thuggery in this town. And as you know most youth today listen to their mp3s and not the commercials of corporate radio.

Old 11-18-2010, 04:49 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times
Yes, radio killed this thug.

So, what are you doing, Merovee, to make everything all better? Because talking about it incessantly on the internet, while cathartic as it may be for you, just isn't very productive or proactive. I'm trusting that since you are so vocal about how the people who live in cushy neighbors (white people) don't do anything to help, what is it that you're doing, so we can make an effort right alongside you?

Old 11-18-2010, 05:42 AM

So no overall view or general commentary? Just try and attack another poster personally because you disagree with their view? I don't think that tactic works unless you let it work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
So, what are you doing, Merovee, to make everything all better?...what is it that you're doing, so we can make an effort right alongside you?
That seems like a bit of insincerity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Talk to the hand. Please don't try to tell me you have worked on making Africa a better place. Even if you have, keep your good works to yourself.
elle oh elle

Which is it? I am not confused but others seem to be...inconsistent.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
And a victim of murder is still a victim of murder.

It is, I agree, easier for many to just point fingers at the murderers but not care and ignore the plight of the murdered. So easy to grow up in these places but leave, mentally, physically, and not look back or care about them. The murder rate will drop.

The internet is now taking hold, that is the ideas of people are now taking hold and reaching out to others, while the indie music station in town (KRTU) will at times give messages about eating well, decreasing stress in your life, and other positive messages, we know that 98.5 The Beat has corporate messages and ads that lead to unhealthy lifestyles. So some people are in tune with others and building a better world and some others are in tune with what Rupert Murdoch or Univision wants them to buy into. When that station declines so will much of the thuggery in this town. And as you know most youth today listen to their mp3s and not the commercials of corporate radio.
Yes, and the murderer is responsible for that victim dying. There would be no outrage over the murder if people didn't care about the murdered.

You should reconsider your approach because it's kind of insulting to people's intelligence. We always know who you're referring to; this indirectness is not any less insulting and it's rather cowardly.

What you accuse people of all the time on this forum is what you're guilty of yourself. Without personally knowing us, you have formed opinions about us. That is quite judgmental of you.

And yes, you have mentally left the "inner-city" when black and Hispanic kids in baggy jeans make you feel uncomfortable and you wish everyone dressed the same. Or when you're too afraid to ride the bus with the poor people. Do you want us all to dress like the white people in suburbia or like the Wolf Pack kids since you seem to be comfortable with "alternative fashions?"

Most of the residents in my apartment complex receive some form of government assistance. While most people would run away from a place like this, contrary to popular belief, no one here has a criminal record. I was clothes in the middle of the night because I feel that comfortable.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:50 AM

I said I was afraid to ride the bus because the driver was going so fast it made it feel like the bus would tip over, not for any safety issues, and I am glad people are starting to dress nicer in my neighborhood. They don't make me feel uncomfortable, I am from here, wore baggy clothes too, ten years ago and before, then I grew up.

If I make commentary about those in suburbia it does not apply to anyone specifically and if someone feels it does they are just proving something about themselves. If one simply says 'people from this place or that place do this, this, and this', and another comes and defends their right to do that, that, and that, well that is far different than what you think is happening. Someone can easily come and say people are not really like that. Just watch those that try and defend their ugly views because they apply!

In either case I am from here, don't look down on people from here, others do that. I frown on bad fashion and people in the suburbs are guilty of it as well in various forms. Dockers relaxed-fit will always take a hit in my book alongside Dickie pants five sizes too big which if I recall you have frowned on as well. Fat suburban moms who dress sloppy don't get any points and neither do fat inner-city moms who dress sloppy.

I still think we agree more than we disagree and if my commentary has resonated so that you want to try and call me out...then I wonder why that is?

If you don't care about certain communities then you simply don't care. I do.

In either case I will continue to frown on detached suburban opinions by people who have either never lived down here, never visited, or long abandoned it. I will also continue to think we live in a beautiful world where fear is only a tool by those who can't see it. I do and encourage others as well to enjoy the beauty and be free from their fears especially when they only serve to set others back and keep them refusing to help or contribute.

This is a forum to exchange views, share opinions, and discuss.

Last edited by Merovee; 11-18-2010 at 06:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio