Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 08:08 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
But do they have Pancho Claus?
You got me with that one,
but I bet they have "Panza Claus"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 08:35 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,409,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meisha210 View Post
Are our Christmases really that Southern? Mine are because my grandfather is from East Texas.

I agree...not sure if I consider San Antonio as "Southern" as East Texas. Totally different! However I do agree SA is a great place to be at Christmastime!

Old 11-19-2010, 09:34 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,713,148 times
sorry but if it aint snowing, it AINT CHRISTMAS.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:11 AM

574 posts, read 1,338,732 times
When do the lights go up at the Riverwalk?

I agree with TexasNick...snow really makes Christmas time feel all Christmas-y. I miss Michigan & upstate NY around this time...all the leaves are turning, and then if we are lucky we get snow at Christmas. It still feels weird wearing a light sweater and completely sunny out on Christmas.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadlockd View Post
When do the lights go up at the Riverwalk?

I agree with TexasNick...snow really makes Christmas time feel all Christmas-y. I miss Michigan & upstate NY around this time...all the leaves are turning, and then if we are lucky we get snow at Christmas. It still feels weird wearing a light sweater and completely sunny out on Christmas.

I have to admit, I've seen quite a bit of red, orange, and yellow around here as of late. Especially in my yard! It's been a really good year for fall color.

I can take or leave the snow. It's fun and all, and beautiful, but not necessary for me. A Texas Christmas is special all on its own, IMHO, just like a Florida one!

Old 11-19-2010, 10:43 AM

574 posts, read 1,338,732 times
What area are you located @ Mom2Feebs? I heard from a friend (another Northern transplant) there is some place in San Antonio where there are lots of turning trees, she heard about it through a coworker/news.

My neighborhood is full of oak trees, maybe one or two "turning" trees per block. It's just not that same feeling of being surrounded by all that color. The neighborhood streets back home are flanked with maple and northern oak trees, so there is complete color saturation. Nothing beats the drive out to the country to pick apples, and to see a sea of red, purple, and orange.

As far as the snow...if it could come for the week of Christmas and leave I'd be satisfied with that. I moved south to escape the snow. I got tired of shoveling my car out of the snow, and traffic moving like molasses during the winter. It's beautiful to look at, but getting out every morning in it is another story.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadlockd View Post
What area are you located @ Mom2Feebs? I heard from a friend (another Northern transplant) there is some place in San Antonio where there are lots of turning trees, she heard about it through a coworker/news.

My neighborhood is full of oak trees, maybe one or two "turning" trees per block. It's just not that same feeling of being surrounded by all that color. The neighborhood streets back home are flanked with maple and northern oak trees, so there is complete color saturation. Nothing beats the drive out to the country to pick apples, and to see a sea of red, purple, and orange.

As far as the snow...if it could come for the week of Christmas and leave I'd be satisfied with that. I moved south to escape the snow. I got tired of shoveling my car out of the snow, and traffic moving like molasses during the winter. It's beautiful to look at, but getting out every morning in it is another story.
My parents were both Yankee Transplants to Texas so I understand what you mean about it not being the same. Up north it's just a different ballgame entirely!

We are on the NW side, near Sea World and 151. We have lots of people on our street that have planted some amazingly naturally colorful trees (ornamental pears, red maples) but the weather this fall has been so perfect that even all of the crape myrtles are blazing red--I should post some pics of ours--and our Chinese Pistache tree in the back is beginning to turn red on top. Gorgeous, gorgeous!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio