Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2010, 06:34 AM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,744,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormandj View Post
I don't speed (well, I set cruise control 3 over, so I slightly speed) - but it drives me up a wall cruise control is about worthless here in SA because people will vary 20mph up and down as you're driving, as they chat on the cellular/do whatever else.
You're kidding right? Cruise control anywhere inside 1604?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 06:46 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,060,599 times
Wait.... somebody was actually reading in this city?

(Cheesy disclaimer: If you read, please don't be offended by my comment. Just trying to be funny.)

Old 12-16-2010, 06:49 AM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,744,857 times
probably the National Enquirer or similar.

Old 12-16-2010, 12:18 PM

18,152 posts, read 25,365,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormandj View Post
People driving in the left lane 20 below the speed limit. Happens all the time. I honk/flash/roll down the window and try to wave them over, and they don't do a thing. Today I passed one of these folks (driving 50, so only 10 below), looked over, and they were reading a book. Not kidding, book on the steering column.

I’m always wondering where the … are the highway patrol.
I drive from the Airport to Schertz everyday and I NEVER see any highway patrols until I get to Selma, TX. (1 highway patrol per every 10 people in that city)

What’s the problem in San Antonio? Why aren’t there more highway patrols? People don’t want to spend 10 cents a month to pay for them? Because I bet people paid more than that build the Alamodome.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:21 PM

12 posts, read 19,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
Wait.... somebody was actually reading in this city?

(Cheesy disclaimer: If you read, please don't be offended by my comment. Just trying to be funny.)
Actually, that's a pretty good one, I think I'll use that when discussing the situation with my co-workers. I'm used to going to outdoor cafes and seeing lots of people reading books - not so common here.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:26 PM

12 posts, read 19,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I’m always wondering where the … are the highway patrol.
I drive from the Airport to Schertz everyday and I NEVER see any highway patrols until I get to Selma, TX. (1 highway patrol per every 10 people in that city)

What’s the problem in San Antonio? Why aren’t there more highway patrols? People don’t want to spend 10 cents a month to pay for them? Because I bet people paid more than that build the Alamodome.
I've often wondered the same. I can be lit up with Ka band radar for 10 miles straight, and yet, people are blowing by me at 20 over, or driving 40 in a 60 zone, and I've never seen an officer pull them over. Every once in a blue moon I'll see someone pulled over on the side of the road, but it's quite rare. Even more frustrating, there are some streets which have bikes roaring by at insane speeds (talking about residential roads), easily doubling the speed limit, and I've seen police cars parked in parking lots facing the road, and not light them up when they blow by - 3 times in a row. Happened all the time near Wurzbach and I10.

Drive 15 miles north, and driving more than 5-10 over will net you a ticket in minutes. I don't get it.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:23 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,715,838 times
Default Ummmmm.....

I was not born yesterday and so I've definitely seen this happen enough noteworthy times to enough people {and not just here in San Antonio}:

SO-AND-SO comes around Officially Banging loud-as-all-hell on the residential door looking for someone, only for SO-AND-SO to find out that they got the wrong house, and when SO-AND-SO leaves {sometimes even with the most audaciously-unapologetic B.A.M.F. Hardcore Browbeating Looks on their faces}, SO-AND-SO more often than not does NOT say-nor-apologize to the resentful and aggrieved seething parties: "We are sincerely-sorry for the inconvenience. It was our mistake. Have a good evening/day."

I even once saw a caught-on-video piece on TV of some guy who was rudely {rudely by many accounts} ordered to step out of his vehicle, which he still certainly did, but what stood-out to me was what he said as he was carrying-out the directive:

"Man! No wonder so many of you guys get blown-away because of how you come on to people!"

Yes, I agree, *NO ONE IS PERFECT*, but all I just posted above is but one of the things that make at least ONE San Antonian go UMMMMM.......

"A Guilty Conscience Needs No Accuser." -English Proverb

Old 12-18-2010, 11:11 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,715,838 times
Default Ummmmm.....

The other day I came out of a restaurant and got into the vehicle and when I looked-up an older guy came out from eating also and got into his own car {it had one of those round yellow/red bordered FireFighter decalstickers on the rear windshield with 3 firefighters-in-action in the center, not that I honestly know if he himself was a firefighter}. What makes me go UMMMMM are things like what he did: In his hand he already had a disposable-sodacup drink with a spillproof cap and straw in it, he took one last sip, put in on the asphalt, brought himself fully in to the car, slammed the door, and left leaving the drink there in the ground. I have seen enough people do that same thing here in town.....

Old 12-19-2010, 09:57 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,818,002 times
In situations like that it should be legal to hurl said drink at the car to test it's spillproof properties.

Old 12-19-2010, 11:59 AM

18,152 posts, read 25,365,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodLu View Post
What makes me go UMMMMM are things like what he did: In his hand he already had a disposable-sodacup drink with a spillproof cap and straw in it, he took one last sip, put in on the asphalt, brought himself fully in to the car, slammed the door, and left leaving the drink there in the ground. I have seen enough people do that same thing here in town.....
I'll take that any day over people flicking cigarettes out of their car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio