Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 10:11 AM

923 posts, read 1,502,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
I have a co-worker whose parents are from Spain, so he speaks spanish. He says the spanish here in south texas is wrong. I told him, "yes, it's a different dialect" and he replied, "No, it's WRONG!".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 10:38 AM

418 posts, read 784,434 times
Given I am relatively new to the area, things that make me go ummm...

-lack of public transportation in areas like Schertz

Last city I lived in was Ottawa, Ontario Canada... and even up there
the smaller outskirts areas had public transportation such that you
could get from the bedroom communities to the city core in a few
minutes via bus.

The car dealerships must lobby the authorities to keep the public
transportation out to increase car sales.

Old 11-23-2010, 12:43 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,875,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenityprayer View Post
I have been here 3 years and my ummms are:
Why is the book store full of people phone texting instead of reading or finding a book to purchase?
Why was I asked to leave the "quiet room" of the Cody "Public" Library during regular business hours, for a "private" birthday party for a 6 yr old?
Why was 2 of my cars hit while parked and no one left a note?
Why is this city ranked one of "the fattest" in the country but there are few places to ride your bike or run safely?
Why do people bring young children to Rated-R movies at night and expect the child to sit through the movie without making a sound? Why spend all that money on a home theater?

Just a few...
I love how these somehow are intimately connected to your user handle. Serenity now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul56 View Post

Last city I lived in was Ottawa, Ontario Canada... and even up there
the smaller outskirts areas had public transportation such that you
could get from the bedroom communities to the city core in a few
minutes via bus.

The car dealerships must lobby the authorities to keep the public
transportation out to increase car sales.
A rule of thumb is that the bus line will run as far as workers are needed. If you live in a community where the house ladies wish to hire domestic servants then a bus line will run that far. In some cases it will be an extended line that only runs in the morning and then again in the afternoon, so if the maid is fired in the day she is going to have to wait. On another note there have been some extended bus lines which have been canceled due to lack of ridership.

One more thing to add to the list: people in town who cannot plainly admit they are wrong when they are wrong.

Last edited by Merovee; 11-23-2010 at 01:48 PM..

Old 11-23-2010, 12:57 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sweet Pickles Bus View Post
This one really makes me go ummm...

How the Ruebens on 35/Selma stays open!?
Worlds best enchiladas? Ive had better @ Luby's
That's funny, you always see the same 4 cars parked in front of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul56 View Post
You would think that an area that connects 2 of Texas largest cities plus San Marcos & New Braunfels, would have some kind of transportation besides the "Texas State" buses.

Old 11-23-2010, 01:08 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chud View Post
I have a co-worker whose parents are from Spain, so he speaks spanish. He says the spanish here in south texas is wrong. I told him, "yes, it's a different dialect" and he replied, "No, it's WRONG!".

I can’t wait for somebody from Spain to tell me that they speak proper Spanish (Big misconception).
NW Spain = They speak Galician
NE Spain = The speak Basque (God knows where that language came from)
SE Spain = They speak Catalan
Central Spain = Speak Castilian (Spanish) but they speak about as fast as puertorican
SW Spain and Canary Islands = Only place in Spain where people speak descent Spanish.

Feel free to send that to your co-worker and ask him what he thinks about it.

Old 11-23-2010, 01:19 PM

693 posts, read 1,502,159 times
Wanna talk about bad enchiladas don't try El Bosque. Who the hell puts brown gravy in enchiladas?

Old 11-23-2010, 01:20 PM

Galician as a bit of trivia is closer to Portuguese than Spanish.

Aragonese is spoken in NE Spain, not Basque.

Basque is spoken in North central Spain, Basque Country is connected to the Atlantic (which is definitely not in NE Spain) and not the Mediterranean (which is), and also spills over onto the French side of the border.

Catalan is spoken in the East of Spain but also runs up to the NE, not really the SE. Barcelona is in no way in the SE of Spain.

Old 11-23-2010, 01:39 PM

Best enchiladas come from a little restaurant called El Torito on South Presa.

Taco Riendo on San Pedro used to make proper Tex-Mex style enchiladas too, must have orange sauce, not brown which is not Tex-Mex, but I have not been there in a while.

Taco Riendo is also an inside joke because if you say it really fast it sounds like 'ta corriendo get it ('ta corriendo) lol....bad potty humor n/m. There is a little picture of a taco running as their logo so yeah lol...

Old 11-23-2010, 02:08 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,884,909 times
I was in Barcelona and trying to be accomodating and speaking the Spanish that I knew. A store proprietor told me to NOT do that. He said I was speaking Mexican and no one likes it. So I spoke English from then on. Even in SA, I try to speak Spanish when appropriate. I have been corrected and and helped to speak correcty, Mexican I guess. So much for trying.

Old 11-23-2010, 02:18 PM

My great-grandparents called the regional form of Spanish, spoken here in South Texas, as mexicano, and they also referred to the German spoken in South Texas as deutcha and not alemán.

Further north, in the Texas Hill Country, a little known dialect of German was also born here, different than German from Germany, but still mutually intelligible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_German

I am sure someone would have said, or still do, that they are speaking German wrong. Again, most of those people are not native to these lands and do not know up from down when it comes to Texas, our history, or our culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio