Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 11:11 PM

258 posts, read 638,101 times

Advertisements

My dishwasher keeps leaving this horrible soap residue all over the dishes. My landlord has sent two repair men to the house and both have said there is nothing wrong with the dishwasher. He has said he will do nothing about it either, because he said that it is the soap, because they have taken the phosphates out of it. He also said I should buy a certain soap, but I still think it is the dishwasher. I am now just washing everything by hand.
Is anyone else having problems with their dishwasher?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 11:46 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,478,778 times
Have you filled the Jet Dry reservoir? The water is very hard here. I only use Cascade Complete with Bleach (or just Cascade Complete if that's all that's in stock); the liquid version. But some dishwashers are just better than others. Your dishwasher is also connected to the sink, so I hope the repair men checked that too.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:33 AM

177 posts, read 358,050 times
We have the same problem and have tried all the suggestions, but the water is so hard. I also notice my clean laundry doesn't smell as good here even though I've used Gain for 20 years.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:36 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Septgirl75 View Post
He also said I should buy a certain soap,
Same problem here. What was that soap may I ask?

Old 02-11-2011, 06:46 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
You need to use a rinse aid like Jet Dry, and better dishwasher soap will help. This is what I use: FINISH® QUANTUM® Dishwashing Tablets - Dishwasher Products | FINISH® It's expensive, but everything comes out of the dishwasher sparkling clean.

The other thing is, make sure you're not putting any grease down the drain, like draining cooked hamburger meat into the sink. That will make your dishwasher not work as well over time. I line a bowl with foil and pour the grease into that, then once it's cooled and solidified, I throw the foil and grease in the trash.

For the laundry, if you add about half a cup of Borax to a large load along with your regular soap, the clothes get cleaner and they come out smelling like your laundry soap.

Last edited by Hedgehog_Mom; 02-11-2011 at 06:47 AM.. Reason: clarify my original post

Old 02-11-2011, 07:01 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,838,269 times
One other thing - check to see if they have a water softener on the boilers (hot water heaters). Softened water needs less soap - if you use the "normal" amount of soap, you'll see similar results - use about 1/2 to 1/3 the amount.

Cascade was one of the best for both hard and soft waters, but they reformulated to comply with the Fed guidelines, and right now there's no clear "winner" in the dish detergents. Give 'em another year or so, bet they'll come up with some new (and better) formulations.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:03 AM

12,114 posts, read 15,005,086 times
Put Lemonaide in the tub area with the door. Just a plain little packet of the cheap stuff ( maybe $.08 each at HEB). It works just as good as all the Citris products for hard water.

Just try it, you'll be glad you did.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:06 AM

12,114 posts, read 15,005,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
You need to use a rinse aid like Jet Dry, and better dishwasher soap will help. This is what I use: FINISH® QUANTUM® Dishwashing Tablets - Dishwasher Products | FINISH® It's expensive, but everything comes out of the dishwasher sparkling clean.

The other thing is, make sure you're not putting any grease down the drain, like draining cooked hamburger meat into the sink. That will make your dishwasher not work as well over time. I line a bowl with foil and pour the grease into that, then once it's cooled and solidified, I throw the foil and grease in the trash.
ur laundry soap.
I keep forgetting about the borax. Thanks for the reminder.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:30 AM

152 posts, read 412,510 times
My mom had a problem like that. She realized the water heater was set too low after being replaced. Took her a while to connect the two. It was getting hot, but not hot enough. Anyways, she incresed the temp on it, and ever since her dishwasher has been fine. Might be worth checking.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:17 AM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,734,970 times
The only problem I have with my dishwasher is that she complains too much
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio