Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 12:35 PM

2,216 posts, read 4,541,701 times

Advertisements

I am asking this question because of something that I have seen happen many times.

Here is the situation:

You are somewhere waiting for your kid...school, skating rink, movie theater, whereever. You notice two kids clearly young teens getting in a fist fight.

Do you intervene? Get help? Or just say "not my kid" and turn away?

There was alot of talk over bullying this past year but I'm not seeing people walk the walk so to speak. Alot of people have blamed schools and teachers etc for this. What would YOU do as a parent/adult?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 12:39 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times
The parents that wait on the side street at my son's middle school just start honking. I get out. My son got clocked in the head with a rock in 6th grade, so damn skippy I get out. They have usually already broken things up by the time I get there but no, I will not just sit in my truck and watch and honk.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:57 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,728,132 times
Depends. Two guys, both willing to go? I might just pull out the popcorn and watch. If one is outnumbered or clearly outmatched or just doesnt want anything to do with it, yeah I'll get out (and have in the past)

Old 04-08-2011, 01:15 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,557,307 times
In myneighborhood, I'd intervene, probably. But that's because I know most of the kids and their parents. A little farther afoot, however, and I'd probably call the police. Yes, police for a teen fight. I don't know them, I don't know how violent they can be, and I am not risking my life - and most teen boys are bigger than me physically. But I wouldn't totally ignore it.

Fortunately, I've never witnessed this.

Old 04-08-2011, 01:51 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,618,137 times
I yell at them to knock it off. Sometimes they do; sometimes they don't.

Old 04-08-2011, 02:43 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,838,269 times
I intervene - if one of 'em decides to take a swing, then he can deal with the legal issue of an assault charge. Only had that happen once, and ended up not pursuing charges, simply because I'd already done worse than what most judges would....but I made DANG sure I had a police report filed!!

Old 04-08-2011, 02:52 PM

522 posts, read 1,132,761 times
there was one time (not here) when me and my friend spotted a fight while driving through his neighborhood. he charged at the two fellas going at it with his car as. spooked them into breaking it up. wouldn't recommend it, though.

i wouldn't intervene, myself. most teenagers are twice my size and thrice as crazy. call the police perhaps if someone was getting their ass handed to them.

Old 04-08-2011, 03:28 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,780,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
I intervene - if one of 'em decides to take a swing, then he can deal with the legal issue of an assault charge. Only had that happen once, and ended up not pursuing charges, simply because I'd already done worse than what most judges would....but I made DANG sure I had a police report filed!!
I know some of us want to "protect the sheep" but make sure it is teenage horseplay before have your fists flying or guns blazing.

As parent: I would step in and do whatever it takes to protect my child.

As adult: I would exercise caution and call the police. If police is not available, then make sure you have others to assist you in breaking it up.

No matter what, today's teenagers should never be underestimated.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:51 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,048,207 times
I broke up a "fight" a few months ago. Some thugs were picking on this kid after school when they got off the bus and they looked like they all wanted in on it. Should have seen their faces when I pulled over, got out and approached them. I told them to get their asses home and they moved on quickly.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:54 PM

2,216 posts, read 4,541,701 times
I'm not talking about horseplay. I am talking about a full fight. It has become too common place for is to video tape it as a sport. I saw one video on youtube today (it's been on the news) of a kid walking up and punching a kid who was minding his own business. Too many stood and watched.

I recently saw an incident where adults did nothing. And yes I stepped in. I realize some are scared and do not want to step in but to sit in your car and not get help, get other adults, police whatever just leaves me shaking my head.

Sorry, just my rant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: