Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 11:12 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,902,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
As one that lives in a neighborhood with a very disrespectful neighbor that has loud people on their lawn late at night, I WISH the neighborhood had a curfew. It's not "big brother" cracking down. It's the complex trying to look out for the folks living there, as to not be bothered by disrespectful idiots, which seem to be very common these days.

This is a good thing.
I never said anything about Big Brother. Some apartment managers think they're God, though and need to be reminded that they're not.

As a parent, I would never let my kids out after 10 pm without me. I would never let them out without me in an apartment complex at all. Imagine, however, that there's a rule that kids can't be out after 10 pm and I have to take my daughter to the hospital, and my pothead neighbor complains that I had my kids outside after curfew, undoubtedly because I complained in the past about his stereo. Then I'm given a warning for violating my lease...imagine having to ask the hospital for a note so I could prove to the apartment complex that I had a legit reason to have my kids outside after 10 pm. That's not just restricting my kids freedom, but mine as well.

If there's a curfew, it needs to be clearly worded and it needs to be part of the lease paperwork. Otherwise, to me, it would just be a suggestion and wishful thinking on mangement's part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 11:28 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,133,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
As a parent, I would never let my kids out after 10 pm without me. I would never let them out without me in an apartment complex at all. Imagine, however, that there's a rule that kids can't be out after 10 pm and I have to take my daughter to the hospital, and my pothead neighbor complains that I had my kids outside after curfew, undoubtedly because I complained in the past about his stereo. Then I'm given a warning for violating my lease...imagine having to ask the hospital for a note so I could prove to the apartment complex that I had a legit reason to have my kids outside after 10 pm. That's not just restricting my kids freedom, but mine as well.
The apartment complex should know the details of the ordiance but if they don't, they are exceptions when a youth needs medical care and other instances: Sec. 21-123. Defenses on City of San Antonio Juvenile Curfew
The hospital release paperwork should suffice with the apartment complex on your exception if they request it.

Old 04-15-2011, 03:39 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,435,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I never said anything about Big Brother. Some apartment managers think they're God, though and need to be reminded that they're not.

If there's a curfew, it needs to be clearly worded and it needs to be part of the lease paperwork. Otherwise, to me, it would just be a suggestion and wishful thinking on mangement's part.
I think you're probably overthinking the rule and it's point. I'd be surprised if you ever got a reprimand for taking your child outside with you. Why don't you just talk to the manager for an explanation of the rule, instead of overreacting? Nobody's putting you on house arrest. They're just trying to keep people from congregating outside at late hours. It's nothing to do with your "freedoms".

Old 04-15-2011, 04:02 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,902,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
I think you're probably overthinking the rule and it's point. I'd be surprised if you ever got a reprimand for taking your child outside with you. Why don't you just talk to the manager for an explanation of the rule, instead of overreacting? Nobody's putting you on house arrest. They're just trying to keep people from congregating outside at late hours. It's nothing to do with your "freedoms".
I'm not even the person who lives there All I was saying was that the OP needs to ask for clarification of the rule in writing.

And is it really children under 16 creating the disturbance in your neighborhood? I know in mine it's all the rowdy adults.

Old 04-15-2011, 04:09 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,412,302 times
It's probably a combination of the two, which is pretty common around these parts. Irresponsible "parent(s)" raising irresponsible kids and a lot of them at that. It's just a vicious cycle that will probably never stop.
I would also support a proactive management like this complex appears to have. I know the group in charge of the apartments my son lives in are about 100% worthless when they need to take action.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:06 PM

17 posts, read 42,146 times
I did call and ask the manager and she said "it's a city wide curfew" and I said Alamo Heights doesn't have a curfew and then she said it was a community rule and that's all the information I got out her. I will try to get more out of her Monday.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:10 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,412,302 times
I love it when names change like that... wonder where she learned that one from?

Old 04-15-2011, 05:14 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,446,019 times
Are you sure that you are in the city of Alamo heights? There are places that have the 09 zip code or have AHISD schools that are in the city of San Antonio.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:14 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,057,281 times
[quote=michellesatx;18740343] My kids are 11,3,2 and they are in by 10pm but I don't think the manager should be able to tell me what to do with my kids. /QUOTE]

So.......it's just the principle? Because, really, why would you go to all the trouble of calling and posting on here if you have a handle on your kids? I'm sincerely asking. I guess I don't understand what's really got you all worked up. Are you planning on living there forever?

Old 04-15-2011, 05:19 PM

8,399 posts, read 23,006,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
It should be a way out of the contract if you want to leave, but as far as private property, I'm pretty sure they can do almost anything as long as they don't discriminate based on one of the established factors; kids aren't one of them either..
Agreed, although if it's written into the contract I don't think that gives the tenant justification to break it. She should have read it beforehand...

But complexes are private property and have the right to set rules and regulations for common areas. It's no different than the pool or play areas in many communities...

Cheers! M2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio