Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2011, 06:34 PM

8 posts, read 16,112 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

We are a young, professional couple relocating to San Antonio for work. We're looking to live in an area that's safe, but has some character. Any ideas for good neighborhoods to live in? We're looking to rent an apt/condo first and really don't know anything about the area. We'll both be working near NW of 410.

Also, any good info about restaurants, fun places to go to (other than the Riverwalk), things to see, etc?

Any info about traffic? We're both from cities (he's from AR, she's from OK), so we're conscientious about crime and "city-living" but is there anything else we should know?

Thanks in advance for your help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 08:42 PM

144 posts, read 360,232 times
Hi there, and early welcome to SA! I'll send you a PM with some thoughts, but also, you should know that there is a strange, misanthropic person who no longer lives in SA but once did; for some bizarre reason, he lurks in this forum and always sends messages to newcomers and tries to bash SA. He sent us a message when we were moving here last year. We ignored him, and we couldn't be happier with our decision! Take care!

Old 04-25-2011, 08:48 PM

Thanks markintosh, your insights are appreciated! Looking forward to getting your PM.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:58 AM

487 posts, read 992,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saraheh1 View Post
Hi everyone!

We are a young, professional couple relocating to San Antonio for work. We're looking to live in an area that's safe, but has some character. Any ideas for good neighborhoods to live in? We're looking to rent an apt/condo first and really don't know anything about the area. We'll both be working near NW of 410.

Also, any good info about restaurants, fun places to go to (other than the Riverwalk), things to see, etc?

Any info about traffic? We're both from cities (he's from AR, she's from OK), so we're conscientious about crime and "city-living" but is there anything else we should know?

Welcome to San Antonio! You'll find a lot of info in this board. I suggest you browse a little. I bet there will be several threads on every question you may have.

I don't think I can give you much advise about neighborhoods (I picked a safe, but character-less areas which I love) but I can give you some tips on places to go:
- Downtown has a lot of cool places other than the rivewalk. One of my favorite restaurants is Azuca, which has latin food (not Mexican) and on weekend nights it has live salsa band and dancing
- Farmers market at the Pearl Brewery on Saturday morning
- Shopping (if you are into that sort of thing): San Marcos outlets, La Cantera
- Theme/Water parks (also if you are into that sort of thing): Seaworld, Six Flags, Schlitterbahn.
- Lakes: Canyon Lake, Medina Lake
- Many nice small towns around SA: Groene, Boerne, New Brownfels.
- Movies: there are a few places where you can go to the movies while having decent dinner and drinks: Alamo Drafthouse, Palladium, etc

I'm sure you'll get a ton of other recommendations...

About traffic, not too bad. I joke that everything in this city is within 30 minute drive...better than many places I've lived in.

Cheers

Old 04-26-2011, 10:32 PM

Thanks amexicano! We are down for salsa dancing and the farmers market! Sounds awesome!

Old 04-27-2011, 01:47 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,825,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saraheh1 View Post
Hi everyone!

I'll send you a DM regarding San Antonio. In short, look before you leap. I've saved more than a few folks from making a huge mistake by moving to that city. Yes, I did live there for 3 years. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 04-27-2011, 01:59 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,429,021 times
THERE he is! Our resident troll.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:26 AM

firstclassflyer -

We really don't have an option when it comes to the location where we're moving - it's required by our employers. But if you have anything positive to contribute about what you liked about the city, we'd appreciate hearing about it. We've both relocated several times, and even in cities we'd prefer never to live again, we still had a favorite spot, restaurant, or the like.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Old 04-28-2011, 07:36 PM

790 posts, read 1,881,391 times
I think you'll like San Antonio a lot (a bit too hot for me sometimes). I still own a home there and went back to visit in March. Was really, really pleased with different developments and the overall feel of the city. I lived closer to downtown from 2003 to 2005 and was very happy. You might want to check out the Alamo Heights area or Monte Vista. Both have lots of character.

I never felt unsafe in San Antonio, and I've been all over. Southside and West side. My one serious complaint is loose dogs, but that is probably concentrated in specific areas. Just weird how some people don't take care of their pets.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:54 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,821,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
I'll send you a DM regarding San Antonio. In short, look before you leap. I've saved more than a few folks from making a huge mistake by moving to that city. Yes, I did live there for 3 years. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Yes, there he is. First Class... The man who is single-handedly saving throngs of would-be San Antonians from an early doom. HURRAH SIR! HURRAH!

He would be presented with the key to his current city in California, but their local budget can't afford to have one made. It's California after all, a state that even makes New Jersey look flush with expendable money.

BN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio