Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 07:07 PM

41 posts, read 230,248 times

Advertisements

Does any one know where we can dispose our used florescent light bulbs?
I work in a office where we have collected a lot of light bulbs that we can not throw away,but we can not find a place to dispose them.
Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 07:28 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,101,062 times
They're considered Household Hazardous Waste. You can drop them off at the HHW Center on Culebra for free if you bring a recent CPS bill.

Recycling Options - Household Chemicals

Old 12-06-2008, 07:36 AM

554 posts, read 2,306,597 times
Home Depots have a box at the entrance (by the returns area) where you can drop them off.

Old 12-06-2008, 08:40 AM

247 posts, read 843,820 times
Yep, Home Depot. Don't try Lowes, the moron behind the cs desk told my husband "oh, you can just throw those away with the trash". I proceeded to call Lowes when my husband came home so the Management would know to correct her on that!

Old 12-06-2008, 10:19 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,789,091 times
Home Depot takes the full size fluorescent bulbs as well as the small ones? I've got a couple of the big kind.

The way a friend of mine would dispose of them when he was in high school was to wait around until he had a big box of the things and then he and his brother would fight with them like they were light sabres (think: broken bulbs all over the place).

Old 12-06-2008, 10:46 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,101,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
The way a friend of mine would dispose of them when he was in high school was to wait around until he had a big box of the things and then he and his brother would fight with them like they were light sabres (think: broken bulbs all over the place).
I just watched the movie "The 40 Year-Old Virgin" for the first time the other day. What you describe reminds me of a scene in that movie where Seth Rogan and one of the other characters are smashing fluorescent tubes against the loading dock at the back of the electronics store they work at. There's never any explanation of why they're doing that or any attempt to clean up the mess they created. It's just what they happen to be doing when they're having a conversation with Steve Carell's character about something else. Bizarre.

Old 12-06-2008, 11:23 PM

Well it's really strange when they break - there isn't much at all left behind. The glass is really thin and since they're hollow once the bulb pops there isn't much there except for the aluminum cap a both ends. I remember the glass kind of crumbling like a car window.

Anyway once I get back to TX later this month I'm going to have to give home depot a try for getting rid of a couple of these things. Gotta go there anyway to pick up more radiant barrier stuff anyway...

Old 12-08-2008, 06:58 PM

Well thanks everyone for the feedback's.
But we are back to square one.
B/c it's a business,city will not except them(only residential).
And home depot excepts only small light bulbs not the long one's that we have.
Any other suggestions? We have about 50 long florescent bulbs.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:59 PM

Get the city to accept two a week.

"yeah, idunno what's wrong with the light in my garage... keeps burning the things out."

Old 12-09-2008, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
Get the city to accept two a week.

"yeah, idunno what's wrong with the light in my garage... keeps burning the things out."
He he he...actually I have thought about it too,just divide them between coworkers and take them there.

but I do have 2 leads,one is from the city,apparently there is a place for a commercial use,they should get back to us tomorrow.Or just go with the independent contractor for a fee.
I'll let you all know what the city tells me about commercial disposal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio