Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 09:26 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,781,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Of course they would - that's what happens with ANY tax/fee that is placed on ANY business. The sooner folks learn that, the better - because ultimately any tax/fee placed on business is going to be paid for by the end user.

Oh....an' when they factor that added fee in, they also factor a profit in on it, as well - and any additional costs incurred by having to implement the new fees....an' we get to pay THAT, too.
If that is the case, then taxing plastic bags is pretty much useless.

I personally hate the plastic bags myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 09:29 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,840,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
If that is the case, then taxing plastic bags is pretty much useless.

I personally hate the plastic bags myself.
It is - think about it, and it makes sense. ANY time a politician tells you they're going to "tax business", ask yourself WHO gives the business the money to PAY those taxes!!! The only losers are us - the folks that don't have anyone else we can "pass" the taxes on to. Just look at any of the bills you get from cable, phone, etc - look at all the extra fees tacked on!

Old 06-29-2011, 09:37 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,801,989 times
Forget the plastic bags altogether is what I am saying then nothing is taxed. Charge a one-time fee for the 10 reusable bags, then you have to purchase separately for each additional bag. If you show up at the register w/o them looks like you are carrying your crap to your car in the cart. And who cares if the cashiers look flustered when they have to put stuff into reusable bags ( I mean that in the nicest way possible). What is the difference between putting something in a plastic or reusable bag? They're both bags!?!?

Old 06-29-2011, 09:40 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,120,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Irish View Post
Forget the plastic bags altogether is what I am saying then nothing is taxed. Charge a one-time fee for the 10 reusable bags, then you have to purchase separately for each additional bag. If you show up at the register w/o them looks like you are carrying your crap to your car in the cart. And who cares if the cashiers look flustered when they have to put stuff into reusable bags ( I mean that in the nicest way possible). What is the difference between putting something in a plastic or reusable bag? They're both bags!?!?
So if plastic bags are just not available at San Antonio retail stores, what does the HEB cashier tell the tourist from Arkansas who doesn't own any reusable bags and just bought $200 worth of groceries to stock the fridge at her timeshare? "That'll be another $10 for reusable bags."

Old 06-29-2011, 09:43 AM

Exactly! We accept Traveler's Checks as well Yeah, I am somewhat joking around here, but at least the city is trying to limit the usage. That is at least a start I guess.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:44 AM

Timeshare in San Antonio? Do those exist here? Maybe downtown?

Old 06-29-2011, 09:50 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,120,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Irish View Post
Timeshare in San Antonio? Do those exist here? Maybe downtown?
San Antonio Timeshare Rentals and Resales and Vacation Condos - My Resort Network

Old 06-29-2011, 10:05 AM

Hmmm...interesting. When I think timeshare I think Colorado in the mts. or near a beach somewhere. Guess there is a demand here though. That's cool.

Old 06-29-2011, 11:18 AM

124 posts, read 245,610 times
Hey, wait a minute! We use our plastic bags. We line the bathroom wastebaskets with them, use them to carry our lunches to work, use them as litter bags in the cars, wrap up dead Pampers in them, etc. I have a few reusable bags and can never remember to take the damned things with me when I go grocery shopping, so what good are reusable bags, if I never use them?

Old 06-29-2011, 11:23 AM

522 posts, read 1,132,877 times
maybe they should do what specs and costco (and others i'm sure) do, and pack everything into the empty boxes to store's products came in. i'd take a cardboard box over yet another bag, but that's mostly because i always have uses for boxes/cardboard (on top of being able to recycle them from home.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio