Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 09:01 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,086,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
I know a lot of officers from a lot of agencies and departments, and despite the common myth that quotas exist, the truth of the matter is they don't.
They all say that.

Quotas exist. They're just not called quotas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 09:12 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,030,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
They all say that.

Quotas exist. They're just not called quotas.

If quotas don't exist, why do law enforcement agencies budget a certain amount for "expected citation income"? What on earth could that possibly tell you?

If the whole city started following the letter of the law tomorrow, you can bet speed limits would decrease a bit quickly. For safety? That's what they'll tell you.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:28 PM

155 posts, read 373,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
...some drivers can be going 80 mph and completely in control while someone else may be going the speed limit and is a second away from an accident. It's complicated.
So are you proposing that the speed limit be dependent on the driver's ability? What metric should be used? IQ? Education level? Number of hours of NASCAR watched per week? Should this metric be displayed on the side of the car so law enforcement knows what your personalized speed limit is?

Old 06-29-2011, 09:37 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,030,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasWeatherman View Post
So are you proposing that the speed limit be dependent on the driver's ability? What metric should be used? IQ? Education level? Number of hours of NASCAR watched per week? Should this metric be displayed on the side of the car so law enforcement knows what your personalized speed limit is?
There we go: the problem with my idea. tsk tsk. It WOULD be nice if we could figure something out that would allow it to be workable: if you go so and so number of years w/o infractions/incidents, you get to "upgrade" to a higher responsibility clearance.

Problem with this is, a lot of towns would lose out on revenue. Oh, well.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:12 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,500,151 times
For what it is worth, in spite of what people believe, when you see Law Enforcement step up enforcement in a non normal area in a very visable way, it is almost always because residents in the area complained or a statistically abnormal amount of incidents occurred there.

One thing the "the cops are out to get us for all the wrong reasons" people dont often understand, is, for all that passion you have in your belief that Law Enforcement is somehow doing things for bad reasons...there is a whole other (often larger) group of people with passion that Law Enforcement enforce the laws with a vigor. You may not like that but it is a very important thing to realize and is understandable. If we all get a say (through free elections) who will make the laws, it reasonable that lots of people not only agree with those laws (because the winner is making tham) but they want them enforced...again, a very important thing to realize.

Lets make it simple. There is a stop sign that people run all the time. The area residents have been getting very vocal about it. They dont like it and want something done. So, the Police get told to go out there and enforce that stop sign.

So you have the Police, enforcing a law we all should know on the demand of the people who live there who want the Police to enforce that stop sign....and then you have the people who got a ticket (or the people who think anything the Police ever do is for an underhanded reason)...They are not going to be happy....thats fine but the whole story is a lot more understandable than "The police are just out there doing it for bad reasons..."

Old 06-30-2011, 06:02 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
Actually, the speed limit is what is posted on the signs along the road. It's not up to interpretation, it's set within state guidelines and those that feel they are above the law get what they deserve...

Quit making excuses, everyone has to abide by it, why do some people feel they are "special?!?"

Old 06-30-2011, 06:20 AM

3,770 posts, read 8,292,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neshomamench View Post
For what it is worth, in spite of what people believe, when you see Law Enforcement step up enforcement in a non normal area in a very visable way, it is almost always because residents in the area complained or a statistically abnormal amount of incidents occurred there.
I am inclined to believe that is the case. The constables have been out on Old Pearsall Rd lately, pulling over cars left and right. The stretch between Old Pearsall and SW Military is a haven for people racing/driving really ridiculously fast, and if I was fed up with it I am sure others were too and most likely called to complain. I am glad they stepped up their prescence in that area (even if it doesnt last) mostly because there is an elementary school (in Summer session) right off the street.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:00 AM

7 posts, read 12,211 times
About quotas: Bexar County Sheriff's office wants their officers to write at least 5 tickets every shift. It's not a hard quota, but you'll get your ass chewed out if your tickets are waaaay down. For instance, if you are "recommended" to have written 75 tickets over a two week period, and you only have 20, you're in for it.

Oh, their month ends on the Friday before the 15th of each month, and SAPD ends the Friday before the 30th of each month.

I can neither confirm nor deny that my neighbor is a Bexar County Deputy.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:22 AM

502 posts, read 934,430 times
It happens..I just take my ticket with a smile, and pay it in full asap! So I can be off speeding again! What does **** me off is these damn random chEcks I get! Total bs! But that is for another thread!!!!!!!!!!! Hahahahahaha

Old 07-01-2011, 07:58 AM
JNA

243 posts, read 735,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitasway View Post
Also, where I was it was between two stop signs that aren't that far apart so they would have to be pushing the gas peddle all the way down to speed enough for a ticket. Every. Single. Person.
Maybe they were pulling drivers over for not coming to complete stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio