Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 06:12 PM

9,849 posts, read 13,690,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I'm surprised that so many people purchase stuff through Amazon. There is not much price difference, and you still have to pay 4 dollars even to ship a single item. I usually just purchase stuff from Amazon if there is a really good discount or it's something older that most stores don't carry anymore.

But I would think that most people would still go to a real store to buy a recent book. And they would visit a used bookstore first before resorting to Amazon. Just logically and cost-wise.
People that buy a lot of items may have Amazon Prime accounts which eliminates the shipping troubles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 06:23 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,857,522 times
I was thinking that the closing of Borders might increase the demand for B&N and they might open more stores, actually.

Old 07-24-2011, 06:36 PM

418 posts, read 784,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I'm surprised that so many people purchase stuff through Amazon. There is not much price difference, and you still have to pay 4 dollars even to ship a single item. I usually just purchase stuff from Amazon if there is a really good discount or it's something older that most stores don't carry anymore.

But I would think that most people would still go to a real store to buy a recent book. And they would visit a used bookstore first before resorting to Amazon. Just logically and cost-wise.
I purchase books through Amazon... via my Kindle with a 3G network download.

The process is very slick... no trip to the store necessary. I purchased two books over the weekend right from home with immediately delivery. From the point of purchase to reading was less than a minute.

...and with the nearest book store now closed I'm not driving for miles to visit a bookstore even though I still like browsing.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:39 PM

164 posts, read 329,825 times
What I like about an actual bookstore is that you can go and sample see what you like. Can't do that on Amazon..

Old 07-24-2011, 10:02 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,643,384 times
I get emails all the time from Amazon.com trying to interest me in different books, but it doesn't work that way. In a bookstore, they are physically there and I can look through books all I like. If I do order from Amazon, it's usually only things I already know about.

Old 07-24-2011, 10:26 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,473,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Surprisingly I do not believe I have heard anyone sing the praises of Half Price Books. They fill a niche. I wonder how their bottom line is doing? SAPL anyone? I have visited both of these more than once this year.

I love Barnes and Noble over Borders. Borders was quite expensive. No surprise they were the first to go bust.

Must admit that most of the volumes I own were purchased through Amazon.
I used to shop at Half Price Books all the time, but now, I just go to the library. Borders was expensive and a last resort when I couldn't find the book I needed anywhere else. I also went to this used book store on Naco Perrin. I think it's called The Great Exchange.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:06 AM

993 posts, read 2,490,470 times
Went to the Borders in Huebner Oaks and the Barnes&Noble at La Cantera on Sunday.

It was the busiest I have ever seen the Borders. I didn't see anything I liked. Was looking for books by David Baldacci or Mark Bowden, but there was only a 10% discount. My wife got some Nicholas Sparks type books for $12 each. Everything was a mess in there.

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/267248_10100191708336829_7806805_50026577_1385798_ n.jpg (broken link)

Search was also down.

My mother got my wife a nook as a get well present, and she is an old soul and she didn't think she could get into reading something on a screen, so I brought it to the La Cantera location, and they wanted to give me a gift card for $150. I was like screw that, I either want my mom's credit card to be refunded or I want the cash. Eventually left and the card was refunded. $150 is just too expensive to me.

Yes Ashbeeigh there was no parking to be found near the back entrance of Barnes&Noble. There were empty spaces, but they were reserved for valet parking. How dumb is that? Who valet parks their car at a mall?

Old 07-25-2011, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newk View Post
Who valet parks their car at a mall?
The rich & famous... of course.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator24765 View Post
What I like about an actual bookstore is that you can go and sample see what you like. Can't do that on Amazon..
I do that all the time with Amazon.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:56 PM

99 posts, read 345,917 times
I love amazon. I rack up hundreds in their giftcards every year and get free 2 day shipping to boot. Hard to beat that. I did used to enjoy browsing bookstores before I had little ones, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio