Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 10:49 AM

363 posts, read 748,585 times

Advertisements

What really scares me is the underlying odors in the bars I go to that have been masked by the smoke all these years!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 10:18 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,407,885 times
No smoking at bus stops either! >>

Bus stops won't be haven for smokers - San Antonio Express-News

Old 08-08-2011, 10:20 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,624,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsa210tx View Post
oh thankfully our elected congresspersons have a brain. the few times ive had to catch a bus (less than 5), someone will always, without a doubt, join me in my wait for public transportation and light up.

i cant believe i used to be that guy. disgusting habit.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:30 PM

92 posts, read 235,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theeddie View Post
i can prove it does hurt business
Why haven't you?

Austin does not allow smoking in bars (without a license), and yet Sixth street is still packed.

The only way that a smoking ban in bars would affect business would be if smokers refused to visit indoor venues where they can't smoke. Except we know this isn't true, because smokers work in businesses where smoking is banned. They visit restaurants where smoking has been banned. They go to sports arenas and concert venues where smoking is not permitted.

Why would bars be any different?

Old 08-08-2011, 05:08 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,838,269 times
Back of the bus....all smokers to the back of the bus......

Old 08-08-2011, 05:19 PM

431 posts, read 766,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah TX View Post
Why haven't you?

Austin does not allow smoking in bars (without a license), and yet Sixth street is still packed.

The only way that a smoking ban in bars would affect business would be if smokers refused to visit indoor venues where they can't smoke. Except we know this isn't true, because smokers work in businesses where smoking is banned. They visit restaurants where smoking has been banned. They go to sports arenas and concert venues where smoking is not permitted.

Why would bars be any different?
austin is easy, you can still smoke in some bars if you have a grandfathered license. I know ALOT of bar owners, and most of the original austin bar owners, id say 50%+ are out of business now. they couldnt handle the huge cut in happy hour sales.

also remember not everyone works in a building, white collar job. have you looked around san antonio at its work force? it blue collar and brown collar. this doesn't even include all the people living off of social security who stay at home all day. except when they go to a local bar to watch tv and chat (most are smokers)

once again san antonio is not austin, san antonio is not houston.
san antonio is more like corpus then anything

Old 08-08-2011, 07:58 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,293,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Por favor Rosa Parks!

LOL

Old 08-08-2011, 08:14 PM

92 posts, read 235,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theeddie View Post
I know ALOT of bar owners, and most of the original austin bar owners, id say 50%+ are out of business now. they couldnt handle the huge cut in happy hour sales.
If 50% of austin bars went out of business in 2005, then they were quickly replaced by better businesses who seem to be very successful despite the smoking ban.

Quote:
once again san antonio is not austin, san antonio is not houston.
san antonio is more like corpus then anything
This is a convenient statement which absolves you from providing concrete evidence. The simple fact is that second-hand smoke is needlessly dangerous, and that the government has a vested interest in protecting employees (not patrons) from recklessly dangerous work environments if their employers do not have the will to do so.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:12 AM

89 posts, read 185,951 times
Quote:

Yup, discrimination at its finest. Supposed to be a free country right?

Old 08-09-2011, 07:23 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,478,778 times
Quote:
What a horrible comparison. Being black doesn't give other people cancer or asthma attacks. Besides, you can't just snuff out your skin color.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio