Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 07:54 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,618,891 times

Advertisements

Does your neighborhood have one? What are the benefits? What kinds of activities does your assocation host?

My neighborhood just formed an association and we've talked to our neighboring associations, but I'd like to hear from you guys too!

And we are purely a neighborhood association, not an HOA. We have no interest in an HOA.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 08:29 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,558,454 times
Our Neighborhood | Lavaca Neighborhood Association
Lavaca Neighborhood Association meets every two months in a general meeting and the board meets monthly. Meetings are used to discuss concerns and any issue related to the neighborhood - such as new zoning, elections, etc. They act as representative for the neighborhood to the city on many issues like crosswalks/stop signs/speed limit signs/building permits/zoning changes, etc. They organize events like weekly happy hour at a neighborhood restaurant, picnics in the park 3-4x/year, and assorted other events all year. They will represent the residents in dealing with local businesses.

They don't typically have the funds to offer grants to local schools (as the King William Association does - they also offer scholarships), but they do support various school events for the schools in our neighborhood (Bonham Academy and Brackenridge High).

and there's more.... associations vary a lot by who's in charge. Mostly they're very useful, provided you have the right leadership.

and FWIW - I strongly disagree with our board on some issues, and strongly agree on others. I'm still glad we have it. I have NO desire for an HOA - it's not about keeping all houses looking uniform (and in this neighborhood, that isn't going to happen) but about building community.

I assume you've all talked to King William Association - very well established, and tho not officially powerful, yields a mighty sword... Tobin Hill is also pretty strong now.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:29 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,442,368 times
Yes we have the voluntary northwood/ oak park association. They have supported the neighborhood in zoning issues, with airport noise abation and the Austin highway/ northeast master plan. Dues are 15 bucks a year and we have a 4th July parade too!

Old 08-30-2011, 09:47 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,120,287 times
Welcome to the Neighborhood Resource Center. might be able to help you with ideas and contacts for other similar associations.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:13 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,618,891 times
Thanks, all! (Didn't mean to abandon my own thread!)

Chaka, what you've posted is along the lines of what we expect from our NA - to liase with the city re neighborhood issues, and to offer neighborhood-wide events a few times a year.

Bo, our pres has talked to the Neighborhood Resource Center folks - great information!

Old 09-02-2011, 10:43 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,714,689 times
OK, here we go. I often wondered why we needed a HOA for a piece of land out in the hill country. Pristine river, strong oaks, tall green grass , abundant wild life....no commercial businesses for miles...

But, a guy just bought a huge tract of land next to us and is putting up a gravel business. SONUVAB*TCH. The noise...the dust.....our HOA is now in full swing trying to get him shut down. Lawyers are being brought in and land owners are teaming up. The HOA is firing all kinds of legal salvos, everything they have, on this gravel biz. We'll see how it goes....but I am SURE GLAD we have a HOA to watch out for us with the goal of keeping home values appreciating.

Old 09-03-2011, 07:39 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,558,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
OK, here we go. I often wondered why we needed a HOA for a piece of land out in the hill country. Pristine river, strong oaks, tall green grass , abundant wild life....no commercial businesses for miles...

But, a guy just bought a huge tract of land next to us and is putting up a gravel business. SONUVAB*TCH. The noise...the dust.....our HOA is now in full swing trying to get him shut down. Lawyers are being brought in and land owners are teaming up. The HOA is firing all kinds of legal salvos, everything they have, on this gravel biz. We'll see how it goes....but I am SURE GLAD we have a HOA to watch out for us with the goal of keeping home values appreciating.
In the city we have zoning laws which would prevent that. An HOA would not be necessary in LindaGrace's neighborhood or mine to avoid that.

We also have code compliance, and in my neighborhood, as it's an historic district, a few other measures, but these differ from an HOA - and membership in the neighborhood association is voluntary. Fees for us are $10-25/year, depending on individual or family.

Old 09-03-2011, 07:42 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,840,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
Not bustin' on ya, but think about it....how do you think the ranchers/farmers felt when the place you're living was busted up into small lots for residential development? Think THEY liked it - the increased traffic, noise, eyesore of homes where pristine land was?

The guy next to you is simply trying to get the best use from HIS land. To deny him that is to deny him the best use of his land. If ya'll don't like what he's doing, BUY his land and let him move on.

Old 09-03-2011, 08:08 AM

574 posts, read 1,338,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Not bustin' on ya, but think about it....how do you think the ranchers/farmers felt when the place you're living was busted up into small lots for residential development? Think THEY liked it - the increased traffic, noise, eyesore of homes where pristine land was?

The guy next to you is simply trying to get the best use from HIS land. To deny him that is to deny him the best use of his land. If ya'll don't like what he's doing, BUY his land and let him move on.
Yep, yep.

Old 09-03-2011, 08:31 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,714,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post

Nope. We are a coalition of LAND OWNERS, FARMERS, RANCHERS against a guy that came in and started tearing up the place. This is different. If it was like how you described, then I would agree, but it's not. This guy is knocking down thousand year old oak trees so he can move his 18 wheelers in and out. Dumping waste material into rivers, etc. The local Texas Environmental chapter has already issued him a violation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio