Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 09:47 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,026,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
It's that type of meek attitude in this city that helps promote this type of behavior by the police. Stopping people from merely walking down the street? Now if he was running close to a crime scene? That I can see. As he was gettling hassled, there was probably an actual crime happening a few blocks away.
And the op said he had his work uniform on not saggy pants and gang colors......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2011, 09:51 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,395,601 times
Well, unfortunately, you can't really trust people to handle things on their own, so the fix-it ticket is really the only way to go on that. I admit it is a PITA, but with all the rampant irresponsibility in this world, it's the only real option right now. I used to have a '69 Galaxy 500 that had electrical issues in the brake lights and it was constantly burning them out. I was always keeping an eye on my rearview mirror to look for cops and turned on the headlights every time I stopped to simulate brake lights. Don't miss that car one bit...

BTW, prepare to be branded a criminal for your irresponsible and wreckless behavior with that tail light..

Old 09-17-2011, 09:53 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,026,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
Well, unfortunately, you can't really trust people to handle things on their own, so the fix-it ticket is really the only way to go on that. I admit it is a PITA, but with all the rampant irresponsibility in this world, it's the only real option right now. I used to have a '69 Galaxy 500 that had electrical issues in the brake lights and it was constantly burning them out. I was always keeping an eye on my rearview mirror to look for cops and turned on the headlights every time I stopped to simulate brake lights. Don't miss that car one bit...

BTW, prepare to be branded a criminal for your irresponsible and wreckless behavior with that tail light..
Yeah I know. BUT I'm still bitter. And $167.00?!?!?!?! That really blew my mind!

Old 09-17-2011, 09:57 AM

948 posts, read 1,842,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
Sounds like an unfortunate series of events, but in the end, the cop gives him the benefit of the doubt, doesn't arrest him, and just follows him home the last 3 blocks (where you admit he has no proof of residence).

Several unanswered questions here. Any chance he had one or two beers too many? Maybe exhibited some signs of intoxication? I'm not understanding how he leaves the restaurant where he works, after having a few after-hours beers with his co-workers, then they all leave, then your fiance realizes he left his keys inside the building, which is now locked up. Nobody around now who could open it up to let him inside to get his keys? They couldn't call somebody? The co-worker who gave him a ride didn't have a cell phone? Couldn't drive him to the nearest pay phone? (I know there aren't a lot of those left.) Four miles from home is the closest he could drop him? At 1:30 AM? Not exactly what I would call walking distance. I live about four miles from my work, and I wouldn't consider walking that distance in the daytime, much less at night.

I personally wouldn't give a buddy of mine a ride some distance, then drop him off four miles from home, in the middle of the night. I think that's downright unreasonable. If for some reason I couldn't drive him the whole distance, I would either let him use my cell phone, make a call for him, or at least drop him off someplace where he could call you or someone else for help.
Yup...sounds fishy. I don't think we have the full story. Maybe it wasn't a co-worker but another girl? Maybe he really was drunk. Screw it...who cares. Yall are right...the cops are horrible, terrible people only out to make money and not protect us.

Old 09-17-2011, 10:11 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
The I just has a few berers excuse the police always hear.The story given to someone who wasn't there that how wants to question the police verus her boyfriends condition and actions.If the boyfriend had nt been folowed and he would ahve gotten runover then she would have been more outraged form not protecting him form hisself. I would be outaqrged at the person not droppig him at his house.

Old 09-17-2011, 10:28 AM

409 posts, read 1,034,285 times
Hmmm..maybe the coworker that dropped him off had too many him/herself and didn't wanna chance it. I've had to walk (more like stagger) 5 miles home at about that time of night and it's no fun after a few brews cause I lost my keys. The coworker should've driven him all the way home. As for the cop,,,some things were ok to do but he didn't have to go that far. Sounds to me like it was more deliberate harassment than just checking someone out.

Old 09-17-2011, 10:35 AM

210 posts, read 502,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitasway View Post
And the op said he had his work uniform on not saggy pants and gang colors......
Because criminals all fit one stereotype?

Old 09-17-2011, 11:18 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,624,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
Typical SAPD crap. You think flagrant cop behavior is bad there? Try living downtown or being in the Monte Vista area after 11pm. It's ridiculous.

BN
in regards to downtown, no, its not. unless youre coming from a bar or area where there are a lot of bars/clubs/restaurants that serve alcohol, its not bad at all.

personally have walked to and from downtown many times, late late at night. also walked through alamo heights late at night as well. not once was i stopped and harassed and when in alamo heights, the cops are nice enough to give me a lift home (or at least to the T intersection of my street).

to the OP:

few questions:

your hubbys buddies dont have a cell phone he could have used? dropped him off 4 miles from his place?

wow. i do not envy your hubbys friends and if i were him, id think twice about who my friends are.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:21 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,624,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitasway View Post
I wouldn't put this story past them. I particularly don't care for them especially since one gave me a $167.00 ticket a few weeks ago for a tail light out that I didn't even know was out. With all the crime here you'd think they'd have better things to do.
uhm

last time i had an issue like that (cracked lens), they DID ticket me but said if i got it fixed before i went to court (fixed it that weekend), that the charges would be dismissed.

sure i had to go to court, but in the end i paid nothing but the cost of gas to get to and from the court house.

-edit-

i see it was. good job.

Old 09-17-2011, 12:46 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monimcc12 View Post
Hi folks. First time posting here and it's a shame it has it has to be words of rage and disgust.

The following just occurred early this Sat morning. My fiance had a late night at work (he works in a restaurant) and he and his coworkers ended a successful night by having a few beers after work (at the restaurant). Unfortunately when it was time to go home my fiance realized that he had left his keys (car/home) in the restaurant which by now had been locked up. On top of that, his phone battery had died. He got a coworker to drop him off a few miles from where we live and then he had to walk the rest of the way, 4 miles more or less. Not many other options for him that time of night with a dead cell phone and no keys.

After his long walk in the middle of the night (by now it's about 1:30 am) he is 3 blocks away from our home in Alta Vista walking south on San Pedro and a cop puts on his headlights and pulls over next to him and proceeds to "pull him over." He asked him what he was doing, where he was going and continued by having him put his hands up on the car and frisking him, doing a full search, checking pockets, wallet, etc. He asked him if he had been drinking and my fiance answered yes. The officer then said "You know I can arrest you, don't you." My fiance was shocked and asked why. He answered "because you are are drunk and walking in the street." Fiance: "I'm not drunk, I had a few beers after work and am walking because I don't have my keys and am 3 blocks from my house. And I'm not driving." Fiance is in his work uniform.

Officer checked his driver's license and asked why his address was from a different part of town. Fiance told him he'd just never gotten a chance to change it since we had moved. Officer told him to call someone. Fiance "I can't my phone is dead." Officer as he is checking the wallet "so do you have any drugs, any marijuana or anything." "No."

Longish story short: this officer pulled over a man walking along the sidewalk who was causing no kind of trouble and showed no signs of intoxication other than just being out late. He invades his privacy, threatens to arrest him, treats him as a criminal. In the end the officer told him "I'm going to let you go this time only because you live three blocks away." He then followed along next to fiance for next 3 blocks and only drove away when I opened the door to let him in.

This is insane!! I am so shocked and infuriated. What did he do to deserve this kind of treatment? Is there anything that can be done to rectify this? Does anyone else find this wrong, despotic, and out of line? Or am I just so mad it's making me irrational?

Your thoughts are appreciated San Antonio

Moderator cut: See comment San Antonio doesn't have enough real crime to keep them busy, so they have to utilize the old proven ways to make their jobs interesting. can you file a report? talk with your city councilman? your friends are really rude to make him walk so far.

Last edited by Bo; 09-17-2011 at 02:38 PM.. Reason: Don't use veiled profanity. Inappropriate language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio