Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 09:52 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,369,604 times

Advertisements

What is with the recent rash of day time wrong way accidents? I know several were not true wrong way accidents, but rather involved vehicles crossing the median into oncoming traffic. I don't think spending money on doppler radar and lights will fix the issue. If someone cannot tell that they are A) going the same direction as traffic on the other side of the median, B) cannot realize they are not in the United Kingdom and are on the wrong side of the freeway, C) cannot see the LARGE RED SIGNS saying "WRONG WAY" then I think the city has fulfilled their end of the bargain. How these obviously unqualified persons are licensed (if they indeed are) to operate a motor vehicle escapes me. I get the whole DUI issue at night, which is another HUGE problem in the San Antonio area, but how do you not figure it out in broad daylight?

Old 07-23-2013, 11:48 AM

410 posts, read 923,799 times
It's that time of the year again, in my corner of heaven (off 151, Westover Hills), when homeowners are given an opportunity to discard those unwanted/unused items taking up valuable real estate. It's Bulky Item Collection time!! This is like Fiesta for treasure hunters. For the past few days, I've seen modern day Fred Sanford's in trucks (many pulling trailers) methodically cruising up and down on a special mission: To find "junken treasures". But not just any junk mind you. These trackers are in search of abandoned items that, in their eyes, still hold value and maybe even a hint of beauty. They are in search of those items that warrant a second life, and in some cases, maybe even a third spin. On my own street, I've seen a motley collection of stuff to include bags of concrete, an overstuffed love seat that looks like it witnessed a lot of good (and bad) times, and I even came across a whimsical creation: outdoor Christmas decor comprised of large pvc piping about 5 to 6 feet long, fashioned and painted like giant candy canes. There were two of them. Perhaps they serve as a reminder, that for some, Bulky Item Collection is like Christmas in July.

In response to TXStrat's post above: Please Drive Safely Everyone.....

Enjoy your Tuesday.

Last edited by SanAntonianByChoice; 07-23-2013 at 12:02 PM..

Old 07-23-2013, 01:12 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,391,907 times
Default I wished I was rich,

Like you SanAntonianByChoice. Then I could make posts yours.
Thanks for mentioning the bulk item pickup days -I will be by there to look about, maybe I can find something...where all of you rich people live. Do you know Warren Buffett by any chance?
Wait a minute,no, I think I remember he lives in a very, modest house, that is right, never mind
he is not in your neighborhood. Sorry.
I will be the one driving the new Black Escalade (a modern day Red Sanford) pulling a trailer. If you see me be sure to say hello.
I will appreciate the acknowledgement from the societal upper crust. You are so absurdly wealthy living in Westover Hills!!!! I am but an average poor person, living on the southeast side of San Antonio.
Thanks a million for the tip off !!!!!! Someday; it is my dream to move to the Westover Hills area. And,
be just exactly like you, self-absorbed.

Is this the best recounting you can make of daily life in San Antonio? Yuk...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntonianByChoice View Post
It's that time of the year again, in my corner of heaven (off 151, Westover Hills), when homeowners are given an opportunity to discard those unwanted/unused items taking up valuable real estate. It's Bulky Item Collection time!! This is like Fiesta for treasure hunters. For the past few days, I've seen modern day Fred Sanford's in trucks (many pulling trailers) methodically cruising up and down on a special mission: To find "junken treasures". But not just any junk mind you. These trackers are in search of abandoned items that, in their eyes, still hold value and maybe even a hint of beauty. They are in search of those items that warrant a second life, and in some cases, maybe even a third spin. On my own street, I've seen a motley collection of stuff to include bags of concrete, an overstuffed love seat that looks like it witnessed a lot of good (and bad) times, and I even came across a whimsical creation: outdoor Christmas decor comprised of large pvc piping about 5 to 6 feet long, fashioned and painted like giant candy canes. There were two of them. Perhaps they serve as a reminder, that for some, Bulky Item Collection is like Christmas in July.

In response to TXStrat's post above: Please Drive Safely Everyone.....

Enjoy your Tuesday.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:33 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,438,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
Like you SanAntonianByChoice. Then I could make posts yours.
Thanks for mentioning the bulk item pickup days -I will be by there to look about, maybe I can find something...where all of you rich people live. Do you know Warren Buffett by any chance?
Wait a minute,no, I think I remember he lives in a very, modest house, that is right, never mind
he is not in your neighborhood. Sorry.
I will be the one driving the new Black Escalade (a modern day Red Sanford) pulling a trailer. If you see me be sure to say hello.
I will appreciate the acknowledgement from the societal upper crust. You are so absurdly wealthy living in Westover Hills!!!! I am but an average poor person, living on the southeast side of San Antonio.
Thanks a million for the tip off !!!!!! Someday; it is my dream to move to the Westover Hills area. And,
be just exactly like you, self-absorbed.

Is this the best recounting you can make of daily life in San Antonio? Yuk...
I reread his post to be sure, but I'm thinking any perceived slight is your own fault. I saw nothing derogatory at all in that post. It was pretty factual with some flowery prose thrown in but I certainly didn't see any judgement in it at all.

Your post on the other hand...

Old 07-23-2013, 04:31 PM

Upper Crust? Westover Hills?? The reason I included area is because I usually include location of what I write about in posts. "Corner of Heaven" simply refers to Home. And yes, the events may not sound very exciting to you but this is what I saw as I made my way around SA. And it WAS interesting to me. Interesting enough that I wanted to share but certainly not to look down upon anyone. (I'm a treasure hunter myself). Anyhoo, I'm not one to post offensive/negative material, that's not how I roll. So unsure on nature of your response. Sorry you were offended.

A good Tuesday eve to all----

Last edited by SanAntonianByChoice; 07-23-2013 at 04:54 PM..

Old 07-23-2013, 04:56 PM

prim8, thanks for the "flowery prose" reference. That was very generous of you.

Made my day

Old 07-23-2013, 08:44 PM

Default No offense taken,

I see it as odd to percieve of others as Fred Sanford types, stupid,
scavengers laughable, making you so superior to this group of people.
It is people like you, ( I am not a Fred Sanford type ,I was just kidding)
that derive amusement from other people's plight. Go ahead, it is no skin off my nose.
Make fun of black people, the Sanford types. That is how you roll; and get off. I hope this post you made about poor folks made you feel better...
Your entire post was derogatory and negative condescending and paternalistic. Easy to see through,
that is why it was so easy to be critical of and negative toward.
If you are indeed, a garbage picker, nothing I have writen here should have been offensive or negative. Happy treasure hunting, no offense meant either from this end. Sorry also. 2cents worth.
This is what I observed around San Antonio today, cynicism.QUOTE=SanAntonianByChoice;30631690]Upper Crust? Westover Hills?? The reason I included area is because I usually include location of what I write about in posts. "Corner of Heaven" simply refers to Home. And yes, the events may not sound very exciting to you but this is what I saw as I made my way around SA. And it WAS interesting to me. Interesting enough that I wanted to share but certainly not to look down upon anyone. (I'm a treasure hunter myself). Anyhoo, I'm not one to post offensive/negative material, that's not how I roll. So unsure on nature of your response. Sorry you were offended.

A good Tuesday eve to all----[/quote]

Old 07-23-2013, 09:43 PM

847 posts, read 2,232,559 times
Quote:

I see it as odd to percieve of others as fred sanford types, stupid,
scavengers laughable, making you so superior to this group of people.
It is people like you, ( i am not a fred sanford type ,i was just kidding)
that derive amusement from other people's plight. Go ahead, it is no skin off my nose.
hardy har har

I may be Fred type.
Quote:
Make fun of black people, the sanford types. That is how you roll; and get off. I hope this post you made about poor folks made you feel better...
Your entire post was derogatory and negative condescending and paternalistic. Easy to see through,
that is why it was so easy to be critical of and negative toward.
BS.

you're way off the track.

those "poor folks" you mention are burning gas and making a living.

and good for them..

Quote:
If you are indeed, a garbage picker, nothing i have writen here should have been offensive or negative. Happy treasure hunting, no offense meant either from this end. Sorry also. 2cents worth.
This is what i observed around san antonio today, cynicism.
I've made thousands myownself by dumpster diving............
Redd Foxx Interview/Comedy (Merv Griffin Show 1966) - YouTube

Last edited by *mud*; 07-23-2013 at 09:56 PM..

Old 07-24-2013, 05:30 AM

Default NO, I do not think so, Mud,

I am glad you've made money dumpster diving Mud, and this practice could very well have strengthened your immune system at the same time. It is great, Mud. Good for you I commend you for
your resoucefulness, keep recycling. If that is what you like to do , dive in from up high.
You are a Sheenie. Revel in it. You ought to see what comes into landfills.
Because a person has gas and a vehicle does not mean they have money. Maybe an eccentric
wealthy person might go trash picking, but not in reality.
If you like to call me off track , fine, let us celebrate it. I will not celebrate however, revel, wallow, in the fact that some some people come through my neighborhood and retrieve my cast off goods.

Succinctly;
"It is that time of year folks, for the poor to come through my neighborhood and pick me and my neighbor's goods."
"Ha,ha,ha, let them have it, I am wealthy. Here comes the "outgroup" how amusing. Let us
consider them and what they do, let us raise this issue and celebrate it ."

Red Sanford types, at the bottom rung they are. Watch that traffic, all else.
Unamusing, to distill. Unentertaining.
Nor would I look down my nose, and describe publicly, celebrate, an overstuffed old couch that has seen good times and bad that has been picked. What made for those times? An Insinuation? Unworthy of pulic comment. Even Mud if I saw you picking it- but I might help you load it. What kind of goods do you search for Mr. Bargain Hunter ? Who doesn't like a bargain?
Ostentious and pretentious, let others be. I will not stoop.

On another post on this very same topic once before, here on this same forum a few years back, another poster claimed with unbridled contempt that these same pickers of trash were "Casing my Neighborhood" seedy types peering inside garages so they might come back later to break and enter and steal what they had seen.
My response to them was the same, that these pickers were guilty of nothing except, being poor.
Another opinion of these ; Sanford types. Except that ,They were all thieves.
No derision that time but contempt, no, it was unashamed hatred. A different degree of the same
attitude risen to new "heights".
Next might have come the usual bluster, " I will have a bullet for these people."
Unamusing also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by *mud* View Post
.s
hardy har har

I may be Fred type.

BS.

you're way off the track.

those "poor folks" you mention are burning gas and making a living.

and good for them..

I've made thousands myownself by dumpster diving............

Redd Foxx Interview/Comedy (Merv Griffin Show 1966) - YouTube

Old 07-24-2013, 06:27 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,438,175 times
Having a good time building that straw man Huck?

You're accusing him of saying things he never said, then complaining about it.

You just seem to want to argue, it almost seems like you're trolling.

I think your posts say a lot more about you than they do about SanAntonianByChoice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio